Focus on Christianity...but are we missing something?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by ezthumper, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Reading the posts, I see debates (and some hurt feelers), about Christianity, yet I see very little about the other large group growing rapidly.

Some of the sticking points I see are, Christianity is responsible for wars, political influences, intolerance towards gays, oppression etc etc.

What strikes me as funny, as we have a Religious group that is beyond intolerant. And there influences in the political scheme is pervasive.

In Afghanistan, women were tied to the soccer goal posts and beheaded because they went against the commandments of Allah. And then after they did that, they continued to play their soccer game.

there are about 1 billion members of this faith, and they show the most intolerance and are working hard in influencing our own political environment. Right now they are pushing through the courts, the idea is Sharia Law because they believe it is apart of their religion and we have no say as to not practice this.

It just seems silly to me that we beat on each other about our beliefs and views, yet we give this religion a pass.

We target Christian groups calling them hate mongers because of there intolerance towards gays. Yet this other large organization is much more intolerant and not a flippin peep.

Why is this? Are we afraid to call it...or is bagging on Christians easier and do not have to worry about the PC police?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

They don't get a pass. They simply don't have any sharia laws passed to protest.

They can't get them passed in Dearborn, largest concentration of Muslims outside the middle east.

When Christians, largest majority, popular religion, can't get prayer or creationism taught in schools, not much to worry about from small, unpopular minority religion getting hated sharia laws passed.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#2 steveksux, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. Your beliefs are ok with me, if I don't have a dog in the fight. An example where I do have a dog in the fight...No matter the religion, a post suggesting that females should be put in there place will get my attention. I will be as PC as possible while I make sure my feelings about the poster are unmistakable.

4. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot
    CLM

Modern radicalized islam is far worse than modern christianity, no doubt about that at all. I think the debate in this forum centers around christianity only because that is the dominant influence in this country. If there is ever a serious and viable attempt to impose sharia here, you can be sure I will be there opposing it with all my efforts.

5. There is an inherent difference between Christianity and Islam.
    This difference drives the two religions to their logical conclusions.

Christianity teaches that man was created in the image of God. Islam does not. The idea that man is a special creation leads to the idea that a man cannot own another man. Without the belief that man is created in the image of God then men and women can be owned like cattle or any other animal. This is especially prominent in the idea that a man owns his wife. Women then can be treated or mistreated as any other possession. Christianity leads to freedom and respect.

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

6. ^Pretty much this^

What good would it do to rail against Muslims in a forum without Muslims?

The discussions on GTRI are largely around Christianity because that is the dominant religion on this board and in this country. The fight in the US against stem cell research, abortion, gay rights etc. and to teach Creation in public schools is not being led by Muslims.

-ArtificialGrape

7. The Bible is very supportive of slavery. I find it somewhat amusing that the chapter following the 10 Commandments details how to deal with your slaves. It's okay to beat them only to the point that they recover in 2 days. Seems reasonable, right? :upeyes:

The Bible also provides for raping a virgin, paying her dad some silver, then she's yours to keep. Other provisions impose the death penalty on rape victims.

Are these examples of the freedom and respect to which you were referring?

-ArtificialGrape

8. Yup, what AG and Geko said. If there were Muslims that came to the forum often, you would see a much different tone on who gets beat on more often.

Right now this forum consist of just 3 groups....Christians, Atheist, and CavDoc, so the discussions/arguments tend to be amongst ourselves. I would say we all have the same feeling about Muslims, and all acknowledge that, so they usually just get left out of the discussions.

Another thing is that annoys me sometimes is that anytime an atheist talks about religion we mean ALL religion. Christians however seem to have the wrong impression and think that when we say religion we are only talking about them.

#8 Altaris, Mar 22, 2013
  9. I would argue against that. There was a Muslim on here at one time and the Christians ran him off.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#9 RC-RAMIE, Mar 22, 2013
  10. Yep, most everything he said was written off as takkiya (Islam sanctioned lying).

-ArtificialGrape

11. Dude, about 1.5 billion...they are sitting as the second largest. Christianity is 2.1 billion.

Whether the Christians can or can't get creationism in school is not the point, the point is there is so much focus on the Christians and very little of the "small, unpopular minority religion" you call it.

12. ezthumper, when I first saw your name, I had to smile. In my youth I owned a mule blind in his left eye. Yes name was thumper. I rode him with the car traffic to the river often. If I let a car sneak up on blind side it was a rodeo. When a car was back I would pat him on the neck and say......yep. no disrespect to you. I wish I had the good sense that thumper did.

I find it much easier to post with atheists and agnostics posters but you and I have something in common. I do not want my belief dictated by the government either

#12 rustytxrx, Mar 22, 2013
  13. These are some of the questions that you ask over and over. You don't seem to be able to understand the answer. I suppose that it doesn't fit you agenda.

What I said was that these beliefs lead to freedom and respect. God was leading out a people from 400 years of slavery. Their hearts could not be expected to jump to righteousness immediately. God made allowances for their culture.

Example:

God never intended for divorce to occur. When Jesus was asked why Moses law allowed for divorce, He told them it was an allowance that God because of their defects, not God's.

Matthew 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
    Matthew 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

It is only recent history that slavery has been abolished in the USA. The ideas of mankind having rights as a special creation of God have worked through society to achieve liberty and respect.
    I remember the civil rights demonstrations as a teenager 1963 - 1964. It was very much connected with The ideals of Christianity. I remember the songs they sung as they marched for civil rights. "Just like the tree that's planted by the water, we shall overcome".

Jeremiah 17:7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.
    Jeremiah 17:8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

14. So God compromised His morality based on what His people would find palatable. Glad to hear that the source of timeless morality found a good compromise on the extent to which slaves could be beaten. Wouldn't want Him to take a tough stance and say, "you know, owning other people and beating them really isn't cool, guys". It might have impacted His appeal.

-ArtificialGrape

15. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

If this is true, why didn't God simply forbid slavery, as He did shellfish and rock badgers? Why didn't He prevent slavery as institution in the first place?

More to the point, after Jesus came along, why didn't He eliminate slavery, at least among his followers? Philemon is the shortest book in the Bible, but it would have been a lot shorter if Paul had written, "Hey, Philemon, slavery is wrong. God thinks so. Set Onesimus free." But, he didn't write that did he?

How does your argument about the treatment of women reconcile with, "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. (1 Timothy 2:9-14)

Do you forget that there were just as many demonstrators invoking Christianity in opposition to the civil rights movement?

16. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

No one is advocating a pro-fundamentalist Islam stance. There isn't much of a discussion to be had, they would all go something like:

First Post: There was a suicide bombing. I think that's wrong.
    Second Post: I agree.
    Thirst Post: I also agree.
    Fourth Post: I too agree that suicide bombing is wrong.

Not the most exciting thread in the world.

17. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

There is an inherent difference between your post and reality.

Christians had no problem owning other people for hundreds of years prior to the Civil War, and were willing to wage war to protect their "God given" right to do so.

Randy

18. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Duh. Talking about the US, not worldwide.

Randy

#18 steveksux, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  19. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

What a load of tripe.

He had no problem listing 10 commandments that we weren't supposed to break. Seems God Was more concerned about people worshiping him properly on the proper day of the week than people owning other people. From that perspective God sounds like a full blown narcissistic sociopath.

If God is too worried about hurting slaveowners feelings to condemn slavery he deserves contempt, not worship.

Randy

#19 steveksux, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  20. Spoken like a true politician. You are projecting corrupt motives upon God.

Like I said before. You refuse to understand that God was gently leading out a people from the bondage of Egypt to the promised land.

The fulfillment of that promise is at hand. Those who wish to possess an undefined character in the real promised land can achieve it. The others will perish in the wilderness by their own choice.

Hebrews 11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
    Hebrews 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.