close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FNG unarmed/untrained wearing LE id

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KCNUKE, Sep 5, 2011.

1. KCNUKE

KCNUKE
    Expand Collapse

So our department is working a special event with thousands of drunks. We have 3 of the new guys that have just been sworn in, not trained in plain clothes for more of a ride-a-long on foot.

The part that has just been bugging me for the last couple of days is, 2 of them wearing identification. One wearing a badge on belt and the other wearing a LE jacket. Both of those 2 were unarmed.

Now, I'm not the brightest one of the bunch, but if I am in civilian clothes and unarmed, I am surely not going to wear anything that will ID me as LE. I just see it as a officer safety issue, what's your thoughts?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. packsaddle

packsaddle
    Expand Collapse

agreed.

anything identifying you as LE makes you an instant target.

3. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Whomever is in charge needs to direct them to remove those items. There should he a policy written regarding the conduct of trainees.

4. blueiron

blueiron
    Expand Collapse

This.

Trainees have no business IDing themselves that way. Someone needs to rip that stuff off of them and put a boot up their rears for their own safety.

5. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

Are these 3 recruits waiting to attend the academy? Or guys who have completed some basic academy (and certified on some level as a LEO) and were hired by your agency, but just not trained by your agency?

With us, one is sworn in only after entering the academy. And no one is issued their badge until graduation day (or very close to graduation day. Certainly after they've passed their firearms qualifications, etc...). And when they're in the academy, they wear academy uniforms no matter what.

No plain cloths with a badge hanging out!

Are they being deployed for this special event you mentioned? If they are, I hope your agency knows to deploy them way in the rear with the gear. Their uniform of the day? Academy uniform with your agency's reflective traffic vest.

Hell, and make sure they're wearing their bullet resistant vest in the proper manner.

#5 Patchman, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

You can always spot a new state Parole officer in my area. They have a high turnover and whenever a new one gets hired he walks around advertising.

I was the exact opposite when I started. It took me a while to get comfortable displaying a badge and open carrying. Whenever I work a plainclothes detail (not often, usually training) I try to carry concealed. I am just more comfortable that way.

7. KCNUKE

KCNUKE
    Expand Collapse

only the 2 were the issue, the 3rd was the bright one with the common sense. They will be starting the training process soon. Sworn in as city employees... not authorized to do anything yet. Not sure what the upper mgt thought/did.

8. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

If they're not sworn in as LEOs, who's the bright bulb that handed them badge?

And if these two went out and bought their own badges, they each need a swift kick in the Galls...

9. KCNUKE

KCNUKE
    Expand Collapse

I would back any of our officers and trust them to back me, they were in good hands, just still shaking my head. I think I will have to give them nicknames "Patches" and "Shiny". Sorry for the vent, just don't like seeing folks like us hurt...

10. Rabbi

Rabbi
    Expand Collapse
    The Bombdiggity
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. GT Bikers
    3. The JBT's
    4. Project Mayhem

I am not sure I am clear on this...

Your agency hired these guys and that is pretty much the sum total of everything...they were hired. They are not sworn, they have no training, they are just 2 folks who have been told, in a formal way, they are about to get a chance to see if they can become LEOs?

11. Aquanewt

Aquanewt
    Expand Collapse

these clowns sound like the types that make off duty car stops and generally give the rest of us a hard time when they screw up and get in a jackpot

12. jpa

jpa
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Wow, I can't see that working. The one agency I used to dispatch for used to require that trainees in FTO turn in their equipment including their gun and badge at the end of their shift. When they finished training they got to take everything home and when they got off probation they were issued a wallet flat badge also.

13. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

I am guessing they did not do this with approval from anyone to do so?

14. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely!

Having unarmed, untrained people walking around identifying themselves as LE is at best a lawsuit waiting to happen, at worst its a tragedy.

Why does the department even have them out there?

15. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

That's a bull**** policy. Just because someone is a FNG doesn't mean they will be less of a target. We tell our newer people about survival ad nauseum and make sure they carry from day one.

Back in the day, I heard of departments that did that to reserves and because reserves didn't work full time, training can take a year or more. Yeah, trust them with a gun and badge on duty but not off.

In any event, sounds like these two are civilians with no training. They have no business with any police paraphernalia until they are sworn. Even then, unless they are working plainclothes in a non-covert capacity, keep the gear under wraps. It's about safety.

16. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Yeah, if you are an FTO or a supervisor I would have just pulled them aside right then and there and told them to take off the items. If only 2 of the 3 had the items, I'm betting the noobs were the ones who came up with the idea to wear them - the dumb idea.

17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

It was actually worse than described. The one with the jacket was wearing a jacket FROM A DIFFERENT AGENCY IN ANOTHER STATE that his father used to work for. The dearth of leadership that is our department doesn't see fit to tell them to do otherwise. One of them was even carrying freakin' handcuffs.

The guy that used to be in charge (cough) would have done so, but he (cough) chose to just shake his head like everybody else.

18. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

I didn't know you guys worked together.

If you aren't gonna pull rank, at least ridicule them into compliance!

19. KCNUKE

KCNUKE
    Expand Collapse

I completely forgot about the handcuffs, they weren't even in a case; just dangling like earings. lol.

20. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy
    Expand Collapse
    Code-7A KUZ769

I'll see your 3 Trainees and raise you a Volunteer!

My agency has a male volunteer who's barely out of his teens who would come in on Graveyard shift wearing a hat and jacket with the dept patch on it, take a MARKED UNIT containing both a loaded shotgun and M4 .223 rifle and go on "patrol" by himself. The shift Sgt or OIC never even questioned whether the Chief or Capt knew this was happening. It wasn't until the volunteer crashed the patrol car was his night shift antics came to a stop. And that volunteer is still a member of my department.