FMJ for Self Defense?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Glock19Fan, Aug 6, 2012.

1. A bullet that mechanically spreads? Well if it does like it does in that pic, it would be a very wide but very shallow wound.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. M 7

M 7

Judging from the skive that appears to be cut down the length of the bullet almost to its base, does it expand all the way to the end of that skive?

Sure looks like it and if it does, I gotta agree with JW1178- that ain't gonna go very deep.

#122 M 7, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  3. Of course it wouldn't go deep, it is its very own parachute. I'm surprised the pedals stay in tact.

4. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

If it does go deep it will most likely be because it will plane out. Internal copper shuriken anyone?

5. M 7

M 7

:supergrin: That's funny.

Yeah, I would expect that they'd get bent backwards more than that. :dunno:Weird.

6. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

I might be mistaken, but i remember watching a video on youtube utilizing these bullets in a sabot shotgun slug. It failed to expand through water jugs (no denim IIRC).

I could be confusing this with another round, though.

Does anyone else know what I am refering to?

7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Still, it is one nasty-looking bullet.

8. M 7

M 7

This the one? :dunno:

It doesn't use the rounds that we've been talking about in this thread, but these slug's behavior appears to be what you are describing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tRTj8_jbms"]Ammo Test 12 Gauge - 1 oz. Copper Solid Slug - YouTube[/ame]

#128 M 7, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  9. RichardB

Silver Member

I'd be interested in seeing one of these slugs that had been shot into a game animal. What is the FPS needed to cause these to expand?

Water and gell may have no real validity in relation to its game stopping power.

My Home protection shotguns are not long barreled so i assume they won't expand for unwelcome thugs? Does it make any difference?.

10. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

11. I did not say why stop there. That was someone else fella.

12. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I went back, and you are correct, somebody else said that.

Which makes me wonder even more why you quoted me and said what you did. It doesn't make any sense at all

13. M 7

M 7

:dunno:

Gelatin mimics swine thigh muscle and human soft tissue. Water is also a proven tissue simulant (per the FBI, Fackler, Schwartz, MacPherson, etc.) that is known to over-state expansion. If it won't expand in water, it won't do so in animal tissue.

After seeing those slugs fail to expand even after hitting a washing machine :freak:, I wouldn't use 'em, but it's your butt on the line and I am in no position to be telling you what you should do.

#133 M 7, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  14. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

The required velocity is likely pretty high to get those copper hollow points to expand.

15. either will do the job. first shot counts. prefer the 45 fmj over the 9 fmj though. Whichever you are more comfortable and accurate with is what you should consider sticking with. G19 and G21 will both do the job and do it well.

16. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I agree for sure. The .45 FMJRN is far superior to the 9mm FMJRNs.

17. They didn't have double stacked 1911s! :supergrin:

18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I wonder how accurate those sabotted slugs are in an unrifled barrel?

19. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

I like how the 9mm guys tout shot placement, but in the same breath also tout how they can carry more rounds. Wouldn't the first negate the need for the second?

And no, a .355" size hole is NOT the same as a .45" size hole in the heart. Yes, they will both prove fatal, but the bigger hole will yield quicker blood loss, and quicker incapacitation.

I choose .45ACP for FMJ only carry. In real life, I carry a single stack 9mm with JHP.

#139 Fear Night, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Maybe. Maybe not.

Handgun rounds out of handguns are weak and ineffective. That's just the way it is.