FMJ for Self Defense?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Glock19Fan, Aug 6, 2012.

1. If you had to use FMJ and was forced to pick between 9mm and .45, what would you choose? From a Glock 19 and 5 inch barreled 1911. .45ACP on top and 9mm on bottom. Both WWB from 5 feet, and direction of travel was from the right.

[​IMG]

I use Gold Dots, I just thought it would be interesting to show this test.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Carrying a gun in public does not provide self defense... The Okie Corral Yesterday at 11:40 AM
    Bernie Sanders: Ban All Guns Used for Self-Defense Political Issues Monday at 2:55 PM
    New to Self-Defense/Tactical Shotguns: What Do You Recommend? Tactical Shotguns Jul 22, 2015
    Self defense cases in Texas GATE Self-Defense Forum Jul 6, 2015
    CCW Status/Future after Self-Defense use of lethal force….? GATE Self-Defense Forum Jul 4, 2015

3. I'd go with the 9mm... Come on you guys... don't be a hater :supergrin:

My CCW is a G26 and in my night-stand is a G19, I like that caliber and I am very fimiliar with how it will work coming out of my pistols.

As far as FMJ is concerned, it would not be my round of choice in a self defense situation, however it will get the job done if pressed into service. :thumbsup:

Alan

#2 Kentguy, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. G19Fan,

Where'd you find that test? Do you have a link for it?

As for your question, both 9mm and .45 FMJs will pass through a person or three and the pointed profile of the FMJ guarantees that either will slip through soft tissue with a minimum of damage.

According to the Schwartz bullet penetration model www.quantitativeammunitionselection.com , a 9mm 115 gr. JHP moving at 1155 fps will penetrate 26.3" of soft tissue and a .45 230 gr. FMJ moving at 835 fps will penetrate 25.1" of soft tissue.

For whatever slim margin it might have, I'll take the .45, thank you very much. ;)

#3 M 7, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

In a pinch/emergency when nothing else was available fmj is fine.

However, when I have a choice in the matter, I will always carry a good jhp over any fmj.

6. If FMJ is my only choice in .45 or 9mm.. would have to pick .45. Heavier bullets will break through bone and hide better on some of the 4 legged bad guys that rome freely out here in fly over country.

7. This was my own test. Both bullets fully penetrated the 17 inches of gelatin, with the .45ACP penetrating 2 water jugs compared to the 9mm being stopped in the first.

The 9mm bullet yawed roughly 6 inches into the path and exited base first.

8. Am I the only one who thinks the 9mm clearly outperformed the .45?

9. Thanks.

As for which fmj out-performed the other, you'll have to define the criteria by which they're being judged.

Is it strictly penetration? The amount of damage done in the first 12" of penetration? The one that penetrated the most? A combination of all three or something else entirely?

10. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

9mm all day any day. Lighter recoil makes it much more controllable and much easier to shoot accurately under duress, Much more ammo capacity which is good since. criminals commit crimes in groups more than they do alone. Id rather have 15+1 9mm when facing 3 robbers then 8+1 45acp.
    Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. No, I would agree by the photo that the 9mm did perform better in the first 12 inches. I've never been a 45 guy. I don't have any use for them.

12. I am basing it off what is shown in the picture. Based off the picture alone, I would say the 9mm did more damage overall.

13. The markings you see in the gel outside the width of the projectile is the temporary cavity. It is caused by the higher velocity of the 9mm and is basically meaningless.

In FMJ you want the largest caliber possible since it's still going to be pretty small. Seriously? People here argue about 9mm Gold Dots "only" expanding to .6" and someone wants to know which is better, .355" or .45"?

#12 cowboy1964, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  14. Good point, cowboy. Lotta folks seem to be unaware that T/C matters little 'til we reach rifle caliber speeds and even then that threshold is kind of indistinct. Some say 2000 fps, others say 2200 fps. I am not sure that anyone can say for sure.

With pistols, it's penetration, then expansion, and in that order.

15. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

My only carry caliber is 9mm, so that's what I'd use. But FMJ ammo would the very LAST bullet style I'd use.

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd go .38spl +P LSWC

17. janice6

Platinum Member

Your test seems to point out that either bullet will penetrate deep enough to hit a vital organ or bone, if the shot placement is appropriate.

18. I agree, but a 9mm projectile traveling sideways, then traveling base forward (essentially a wadcutter) will not only produce a larger TC but also a larger PC.

19. lets see, a small bullet or a big bullet... Hmmm.... this is a tough one. we need volunteers!

20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

.45 ACP doesn't make a big hole.

Rifles and shotguns make big holes.

21. why stop there? this is makes a bigger hole

[​IMG]