close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Florida Sheriff’s Office Reports Problems with Glock Service Pistols

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Made in Austria, May 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic
    Expand Collapse
    Polymer Butcher
    CLM

Sounds like another void in the market for APEX tactical to fill.... :whistling:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

Just curious. Does it not leave a nasty taste in your mouth to buy a premium priced pistol and have to throw out all the MIM parts and pay more money for decent parts. It bothers me.:dunno:

3. OldSchool64

OldSchool64
    Expand Collapse
    ®

I know what you mean, but it seems to me that a really hard striker would be harder on the breach face when dry firing. Granted that shouldn't be any real problem unless a person does too much dry firing, just something to consider.

4. OldSchool64

OldSchool64
    Expand Collapse
    ®

Check this posters signature...

Enough said.

#24 OldSchool64, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  5. Made in Austria

Made in Austria
    Expand Collapse

Maybe/I hope it's just one of those cases where one Police officer has a problem and all the others start rotating too and demand a replacent. Who knows.

#25 Made in Austria, May 14, 2013
  6. OldSchool64

OldSchool64
    Expand Collapse
    ®

Bad parts are turned out everyday, regardless of the manufacturing process, unfortunately some of them sneak through quality control. Hopefully this is just an example of that.

7. .38 super

.38 super
    Expand Collapse
    Observer

This is true but let's not forget that striker is hitting the back of the brichface only with the force of the momentum of it's own weight, the spring does not pushes it all the way till the brichface, for a such light part and few pounds spring working only half an inch or so, the force shouldn't be so excessive... On the other hand I just spoke today with a person who broke his G17's brichface from dry firing few years back... I guess it's possible, I've seen pictures here in GT of cracked brichface...

Here is a video of my Austrian proof marks G17 slide and its firing pin channel, it is clearly visible the marks from where the firing pin is hitting the back of the brichface, for some probably 3 decades shooting it doesn't look so bad...
    (please, watch in 360p because the quality isn't great, sorry...)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cymhYxAhbPs"]G17 Firing Pin Channel - YouTube[/ame]

8. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

The key is a firing pin of heat treatable tool steel,when properly heat treated it should last a life time. SJ 40

9. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

Here's the link:
    http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/05/13/report-raises-concern-about-glock-handguns/

...and the article says "...Issued by the department’s armor, or gun expert, the March 13 report is titled simply: Firing Pin Issue" and "CBS4 News showed the Palm Beach report to local gunsmiths and armors". It seems that neither Glock Armorers or the media realize that the word is "Armorer".

#29 SARDG, May 14, 2013
  10. G26S239

G26S239
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Patron

Glocks are low mid range priced, not premium priced. In any case I have not had to replace any firing pins on any of my Glocks.
    Why does it bother you? According to your sigline you don't even own a Glock.

#30 G26S239, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  11. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

Actually, I own two but my sigline has nothing to do with the issue.

12. JBP55

JBP55
    Expand Collapse

There are several of these Anti Glock people on GT who have nothing to contribute to the forum and their sole purpose is to knock Glock.

13. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK
    Expand Collapse

Why glock?!?! Why do you do this to yourself for a few extra pennies??

14. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

I'm not anti-Glock but I am anti-Koolaid... Nobody has to "knock" Glock. They are doing just fine with that themselves. I own two Glocks so I feel I can comment. My comments are respectful to others here so if if bugs you perhaps the problem is with you.:dunno:

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

We've never replaced a firing pin. Waiting to see what the real deal is.

16. TTex

TTex
    Expand Collapse
    Cannon Fodder

Well I cant say for sure just from the report, but it looks to me like a couple of officers had light strikes for one reason or another (could have been hard primers, but who knows) and then they started looking at their firing pins. Now, whenever they see any wear they want to replace the firing pin. Now there may indeed be some issue, but it does look to me like the media sensationalizing this just so they have a story. If you notice they never actually show a pistol malfunctioning, just a firing pin that "looks" a little boogered up.

#36 TTex, May 15, 2013
  17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

This makes me realize that we've already recieved an echo about this from one of our Florida offices. Closeup pictures and all. We pulled strikers, checked under magnification, and did the same for breachfaces. Zero issues.

18. CAK

CAK
    Expand Collapse

I know exactly what you are talking about. I too had a divot that turnd into an actual spur/raised thorn that I had to file down and then smooth out with a Dremel.

#38 CAK, May 15, 2013
  19. djegators

djegators
    Expand Collapse

Not defending Glock here, if they effed up, they need to make it right. But I am not going to jump off the cliff based on one local news report full of errors about a few alleged problems at a small dept. This could be a legit big time problem, or it could be a small time reporter hoping to catch something big.

20. RichardB

RichardB
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

From one of the linked channel 4 articles: " The problems were found primarily in the Glock 40 caliber, but also showed up in the 9 mm. So far all of the incidents occurred during training exercises. There have been no reports of the firing pin failing in the field "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.