close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Florida - Can you have loaded gun in car

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by bear62, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Have a question for you ....... Can one have a loaded handgun in his private car in the state of Florida without having a concealed carry permit?

I've looked at their statutes but they are not completely clear to me. Acually they are not clear at all ...... (I have a friend in the Tampa area has been carrying a handgun in the console box.)

So what do you gunnies think ...... is it legal or not?

Thanks

2. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

perfectly legal as long as the gun is "securely encased in a snapped holster". Which most will assume means you can't just have a pistol under your seat. It needs to be in a holster with a thumb break and either in your glove box or center console.

All of this assuming your friend is not a felon.

3. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

This is what the law says (got this off of handgunlaws.us)

From what I can tell it can be in a glove compartment, with or without a holster. It can be in snapped holster, anywhere. It can be in a gun case or zippered gun case anywhere with or without a holster. Or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened, again anywhere with or without a holster.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

That wording sounds pretty clear to me........ Thanks

5. huggytree

huggytree

I keep my loaded gun in my work van here in WI...its in my glovebox in a holster, but not snapped or locked up......im pretty sure its legal here.....i would assume Florida to be the same....

6. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Gun laws are an important thing to be SURE of. That is, if you are interested in remaining felony free.
    No one should assume anything, in this regard.
    No one should take anyone's answer, or a web site's information (no disrespect to handgunlaws.us) as gospel.
    It is usually fairly easy to google and find you own state's laws on a state web site.

...steps down from soap box and exits the thread

7. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Good point!!!!!!

8. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

It is my understanding of WI law that car carry is only legal if the gun is visible, unless you have a carry permit. So the gun in your passenger seat in a holster is good. In glove compartment illegal.

9. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Previous posts about Florida law are accurate. No license required for carry in glove box, console, holster, case, box, gun rug. Just about anything north of a grocery bag makes it legal in a vehicle.

10. ZombieKing

ZombieKing

Doesn't need to be in a holster.

Just being in a glove box or the center console of your car is good enough.

You can however carry it in the open (say in your cup holder between the seats) as long as it is in a holster.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  11. Mr. Blandings

Mr. Blandings

Florida attorney Jon Gutmacher publishes THE book that explains Florida gun law: Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership. Currently in its SEVENTH edition (it is recommended to NOT obtain an older copy due to changes in the law), Gutmacher's book is the best guide to staying legal with guns in Florida.

Gutmacher's website (linked above) is a wealth of FREE information. From the site: