close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Florida Back Up Carry Recomendations

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Glocknload 19, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Glocknload 19

Glocknload 19

Jul 8, 2010
    Mas,
    I have a three part question. First, I have a Glock 19 for concealed duty carry. I work bond enforcement and executive protection in Florida and I'm a licensed PI. For back up looking at G26, SW centennial revolver or Kahr PM9. Leaning towards the Kahr. Why do more LE agencys not approve this gun for back up/off duty carry? Which would you choose. If I did go with the Kahr would you carry a 115gr round in non +p as it's such a small gun. I carry the win 127+p+ in My G19. If you had to go with one of these guns, which would it be and why. Thanks.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Depends where you carry the backup and what you perceive yourself doing with it. If your threat profile is such that you're more likely to be in a sustained firefight and need to reach a backup gun to keep shooting, the PM9 with 7 rounds makes more sense than the J-frame with 5. (And, frankly, an 11-shot Glock 26 that can feed spare G19 mags on your person makes more sense than either).

If your threat assessment is such that it makes sense to have your hand on a small gun in a weak-side pocket or jacket pocket when making seemingly innocuous but potentially dangerous contacts with people in the PI/Bail Enforcement side of what you do, I'd go with a hammerless or shrouded-hammer J-frame. Its less-square profile clears the pocket faster, and in a coat pocket will allow you to fire through the pocket in an emergency without fear of malfunction. I'd rather have 5 shots right now than 7 to 11 shots a second from now, in a fast-breaking situation.

Threat assessment is up to the individual. In the end, it's always your choice. Since you ask, I carry the same 127 grain +P+ Winchester Ranger-Ts that you're using in your G19 when I carry the PM9, and the gun runs fine with them. Only testing YOUR gun in YOUR hand(s) will determine that for you.

Good luck and stay safe,
    Mas