close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Florida AG Says Carrying a Gun is Always Presumably a Crime

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cajun_chooter, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    This. Word for word. I have never understood the people that antagonize an officer during a stop. Being cooperative beats being an argumentative ass every time, even if the officer is not showing you the same courtesy. If you get an officer that is being a jerk, take it up with his superiors at a later time. The side of the road is NEVER the place to argue or be a Constitution Commando.

I have been asked by an officer to search my vehicle on one occasion. I did not ask why as it really didn't matter to me. I had nothing to hide, so I said absolutely. He asked me to exit the vehicle and retreived the german shepherd from his car. He opened all the doors and the trunk and allowed the dog to sniff around the inside of the car. It literally took about 2 minutes and that was the end of that. The officer thanked me for my cooperation and didn't even write me the speeding ticket I deserved. Had I been a jerk about it and blabbered about my constitutional rights, I am sure things would have gone south in a hurry. I don't get why some people don't understand that.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I carry a G17 up here in VT everyday. I am not a felon!

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
  4. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    You're probably correct!

5. SFla27

SFla27

May 1, 2012
    South Florida, USA

^^ And this too. ^^

Yes sir, no sir.

Assuming you're not being asked to take part in the receiving end of an impromptu body cavity search to be performed by a rhinoceros, complying with the officers' requests without attitude will up your chances of a non-issue tremendously.

6. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Disreguarding that the SCOTUS already said just because a person is carrying a firearm doesn't give them the right to stop/questioning by LEO's! I hope FL State has alot of money to give out in the pending lawsuits for wrongful arrest!:rofl:

7. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc"]Dont Talk to Police - YouTube[/ame]

8. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Heh heh heh - performed by a rhinoceros! heh heh heh!

9. Probably true.

10. James Dean

James Dean

Jan 31, 2010
    East of Eden
    I get something different out of this. I think the AG is trying to protect the police by saying its okay to stop and ask questions if you see someone with a gun. Is it wrong? I don't know. Time will tell. Sometimes a little corporation goes along way, as well as a little azz kissing at a traffic stop.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  11. Chris Chris

Chris Chris

Jul 2, 2010
    Florida
    Excellent point. In Florida (and elsewhere) the only difference between commiting the CRIME of illegally carry a concealed weapon, and being in complete accordance with the law and thus LEGALLY carrying a concealed weapon, is that little plastic card the State issues to the carrier.

The LEO doesn't know which case he is dealing with until they see the 'card'. A LEO should have the right to ask to see the card. And... a lawful CCW carrier should have no problem politely showing it to them.

I think anyone who has spent time in the LE profession can understand that. And, I would also think that any lawful carrier would prefer that those carrying concealed handguns be the same law-abiding and properly licensed citizen that they are.

The only way to find out is to see the 'card'.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    This case had nothing to do with a lawful concealed carrier. It involved a convicted felon with a gun partially exposed loitering in a drug hole.

13. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    You re mostly right. the author of the article has blown the thing way out of proportion. Bondi's statements were part of a legal brief in a case before the Florida Supreme Court not directive for policy for LEO (Which the Florida AG has no authority to do anyway.)

14. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    SWMO
    But even in an advisory capacity, could not those LEA choose to follow his advisory...especially if they are somewhat anti-gun? It may not provide 100% cover, but through litigation, they could say they were following the advice of the AG; thus potentially releasing them from violating ones right?

IMHO, problem is, if the case is upheld, it creates bad case law. Hence, why the Florida Open Carry filed their brief.

It reminds me of the cliche': Guilty till proven innocent.

This brings back another conversation recently discussed. I know a LEO in my area who makes it a point to tell people 'if you don't tell my you have a firearm concealed; you will spend time in cuffs and the back seat/station until "I" figure it out. It could take hours.' Our state is not required disclosure state. :faint:

:wavey:

red

15. Chris Chris

Chris Chris

Jul 2, 2010
    Florida

And... JMHO... what is wrong with simply telling the officer " I have a concealed handgun and a permit, and how do you wish me to procede?"... whether your state law requires it or not? It does prevent a sudden surprise to the LEO (when I was in that line of work we figured "The best surprise was no surprise.") and seems like a reasonable thing to do if you are facing a LEO.

Do that, and the incident RE: concealed handgun is over.

Why not simply do that? It certainly is a lot easier than being a totally assertive jerk & and a rampaging fool who wishes to argue for the sake of making a point on YouTube (which, a careful observer might rename the Stupid/Tube). Arguing about a concealed gun with a LEO in a street interview is about as STUPID as you can get! Just tell them up front, and the problem is solved.

16. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    SWMO
    Haven't read or been informed......you don't talk to the po-po!

Please, you tell the po-po everything you know. :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  17. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Chris Chris
    So where in the 2nd Admendment does it say you have to have that card to carry? Where in the 4th does it say you have to give anything to the police -just because they ask? Does the 4th say they have a right to ask? I'm of the mind that if you haven't broken a law the police should leave you alone- period!:supergrin: Now understanding that if you accidentally expose your CCW in FL -you have broken the law! Stupid as that is!:faint: Unlike Idaho where I can expose /OC my carry weapon anyway I wish!:supergrin:

18. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Texas
    Holy math/statistical fail.

19. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Jul 8, 2001
    Texas
    What case was that?

20. F350

F350

Feb 3, 2005
    The Wyoming Plains
    And what would have done if dogie "found" a little baggy of meth??? You consented; you are ****ed! You think all LEO are Andy of Mayberry??