close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

flea and ticks

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by W420Hunter, Mar 30, 2012.

1. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

Well its that time of year again and they are out in full force. I have a boxer just over a year old. In the last 3 days I have pulled 5 ticks off her. I have to say the little buggers are a pain. I have been pulling then off with tweezers that I heat up. I have been having trouble getting them off even after they are cooked. I was wondering if there was a better way to get them off? Also looking for any meds that would work for both? I am the only one in the house the fleas like lol. I have pulled a few off that when I went to burn them in a candle, the pop put out the flame. :shocked:

2. Dragline

Dragline

There was an article in the WSJ a few days ago predicting this is gonna be a brutal tick season.

3. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I will tell you now as an owner and trainer of a hunting dog, get a one-pill-does-it-all solution. I think Sentinel kills heart worms, fleas and ticks. I use one called Trifexis. It will kill hw's and fleas but barely misses the requirements to certified as a tick killer. It does kill them and if you check your dog regularly, you will be fine. One prior flea infestation in our home got me off of the topical remedies.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. Golddog

Golddog

Once-a-month applications of Frontline or Pet Armor work wonders on fleas and ticks. Using tweezers is highly inefficient, in any case. After just one walk I have pulled as many as 240 ticks (actual count) off of my golden retriever, a job for quick fingers, not cumbersome tweezers.

If I found just five ticks on a dog after a walk, I'd believe that I had wandered into paradise.

By the way, spring and summer are no longer the major tick season around here - the infestation of deer ticks, which carry Lyme Disease (all my dogs and every person in my family has had it) starts in October runs right through the winter. The deer tick phenomenon is relatively new (it started about twenty years ago), and I have yet to encounter an "expert" who can actually explain the explosion of the damned things, although one local doctor swore that their start in East Lyme, Connecticut came from a military base that was engaged in some odd research (she was working there twenty years ago).

The other type - dog ticks - have been around forever, and they are still a spring/summer problem. But they're not nearly as prolific as deer ticks.

5. zagzig

zagzig

Holy $#!+ That is insane! I guess I'll stop complaining about the 3-4 per week I have to deal with. I saw a post about some super garlic concentrate. I'm going to pick some up and start soaking their collars in it in addition to the monthly dose of Frontline. Supposedly the garlic does a great job of keeping fleas, ticks and mosquito's away for a month per treatment. It is not supposed to smell after an hour or so. I'll report back in a month or so with what I find.

6. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Frontline!

Fleas and ticks cause deadly diseases, depending upon where you live. Bubonic Plague and Lyme Disease, among others.

7. cmb19

cmb19

The easiest way I have found to remove ticks (and I've removed TONS from both me and dogs) is to rub the tick in a circle. Seriously...it sounds stupid, but it gets the tick to come out with the head and still alive.

Here's a video...don't try to pull the tick at all, just rub, it might take a couple minutes if it's really in there, but it'll come out on it's own.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-a-tick/

8. zagzig

zagzig

The problem I'm finding with Frontline, and the like, is that ticks will still get on the dog and attach themselves. At that point they will either detach in a couple days or die. Sometimes they will just just hangout for the ride and I'll find them in the house looking for a better (untreated) host.

Supposedly the garlic will act as a repellant and works on Mosquitos and fleas. I just ordered 1qt for $30 shipped and that should be enough to treat their collars and a section of the yard for 3 months. If it works, I'll buy a gallon for $85. And treat a larger area of the yard.

Sent from the moon.

9. beatcop

beatcop

Plum Island

10. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

That was my experience last year. I finally found a tick collar that works like a champ, it is called Preventic, it isn't cheap, but it works on ticks! I think that it numbs their mouths, so they are unable to get a grip on the dog, and they never attach. They do nothing for fleas, but the frontline should stop them.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Preventic+Amitraz+Tick+Collar+for+Dogs-prod3306.html

I buy mine from my local vet.

11. Glocky Joe

Glocky Joe

Yeah, FrontLine, PrevenTic, and all that other good stuff for dogs and cats (don't get them mixed up... Dog stuff DEADLY on cats...

More importantly WHAT ABOUT ME????

I am a mosquito & tick magnet. I am ready to try some FrontLine on myself. Anyone else try this?

12. DaneA

DaneA

The last two years I've sold several hundred thousand dollars worth of flea and tick treatments. I have found that Frontline and the various generic forms (PetArmor, etc) have not been working effectively. However, Advantix has still been working great. As for the poster who spoke of integrating heart worm preventative I would suggest using ProHeart. It is an injection that lasts 6 months to protect against heart worms. No worries or need to remember it every month.

13. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

im in nc , tick magnet as i farm and always outside , ive had rocky mount spotted fever 4 times and lyme but caught early.

i hate ticks

someone said spread sulfur in yard ???

14. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid Grape flavored!

Buy food grade diatomaceous earth (it looks and acts like fine-grain flour) and does a good job it you run it into the fur well. Longer-hair dogs need more effort than short hair ones.

I used to use Frontline, and Advantix II, but the fleas and ticks seem to be immune to it anymore, and it only lasts 10-14 days at best. We have 12 dogs, and this is a boatload of money per month to spend on marginal effectiveness.

The DE is not a "set it and forget it" solution, but it is pretty simple to apply and at [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00025H2QS/"]Amazon.com: Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 50 Lb: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31jA1%2ByNRqL.@@AMEPARAM@@31jA1%2ByNRqL[/ame] for 50 lbs, one bag lasts a few seasons, making it very cost-effective.

Google the stuff, and you'll find lots of info.

15. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

BORAX! (yes, the laundry detergent additive)

Deploy it as you would any carpet freshener... if no carpets, put it UNDER your furniture and it will help, but not as good as having wall to wall carpet treated.

16. silentpoet

silentpoet

Comfortis is what I am using on my dog Lucky at the recommendation of the vet and the groomer. He is allergic to flea bites and nothing else has worked. Just got him on this a few days ago, but no signs of the little buggers so far.

17. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

D/E works.As a treatment we use D/E or natural Seargeants liquid.'08.

18. AA#5

AA#5

"Frontline" is pure JUNK. I used it on my two Labs for a week & it did nothing.

Then, I applied "K9 Advantix." The next morning, I found 12 dead fleas on his bed & a few more that were twitching.

Yeah, Advantix is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

19. silentpoet

silentpoet

I have not used frontline, but I used Pet Armor and I have to agree. It didn't do much and the effect didn't last long.

20. cmb19

cmb19

You have 12 dogs?!?! I'm jealous...I would love even half that many dogs, but the food/vet/everything else bills must be insane.

Do you have any particular reason to have that many puppies? Sled dogs? Fostering? or just cause you're awesome?