close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Flashlight vs. extra mag

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DeputyAlex, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DeputyAlex

DeputyAlex

Jan 30, 2008
    What would you carry if you could only choose one. I recently was at class and caught a lot grief for stating I didn’t carry an extra mag or flashlight when I carry concealed. I know it’s stupid and I should carry another mag, but I hate having so much crap on my belt. if I had to pick one it would be the flashlight. Im considering the surefire backup. What would you choose?

2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I vote extra mag also, but carrying a small light and a mag should not be too much trouble.

I carry a spare mag up front and clip a small surefire light in a pocket.

3. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    A spare mag is a must. A small LED is so handy and easy to carry there's no excuse. You can have 200 lumens on your key chain these days.

4. If it's only one or the other, I'd pick the flashlight.

The extra mag only becomes useful if you ever need to shoot your gun for real.

The flashlight can be used pretty much on a daily basis, especially now in the winter time, when daylight is short.

Personally, I always carry an extra mag on my person and a Surefire 6P in my always carried man bag. I also have a Streamlight Nano in the pocket of every coat.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    Ignore the grief and do what feels right for you. You know the risks of the area where you reside and what the odds are you will ever need to pull your gun let alone empty the magazine. You are more likely to need a flashlight or a knife for an emergency than a gun. I don't carry a extra magazine but have a couple in my truck. Each person needs to decide what is right for them.

6. eclark53520

eclark53520

Feb 12, 2007
    WI
    No reason to only choose one.

Both are something you should be carrying.

7. nosuchagency

nosuchagency ...

Feb 3, 2006
    [​IMG]

i like to hedge my bets (comp-tac carrier)... honestly though, i usually carry a single and a light clipped in pocket. and yes, e1b is a fantastic light. this year's model is supposedly receiving an upgrade to 200 lm.

8. ATW525

ATW525

Sep 17, 2006
    Concord, NH
    Extra mag. I always have one with me. That said, if i'm going to be outside after dark, I try to carry a light in addition to the mag. I'll admit that now that i live in an urban/suburban environment, I find I hardly ever need the light like I did when I was in a rural area, and I've gotten a bit lazy about carrying it.

9. rahrah12

rahrah12

Sep 15, 2008
    Seattle
    This is making me reconsider what I carry...or don't carry.

I have never carried a flashlight...mainly because I have never been in an incident where I wish I had one...

I carry an extra mag most of the time...but now I need to start looking into flashlights...lol

10. bush pilot

bush pilot

Jan 29, 2004
    northwest
    +1, if I had to narrow it to one it would be a flashlight. Look at some of the options from Fenix, they have some great flashlights at reasonable prices.

11. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

Nov 30, 2006
    Or if your baseplate comes off and dumps all the rounds in your primary mag on the deck the first time you pull the trigger. Mags fail a lot more than quality handguns do, that's why I always want a spare one with me. That said, I carry both. Every day.

12. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    I always carry both. Extra mag on the oposite hip of the gun is concealable and helps balance the weight of the gun. My light ( either an E1B or LX2) is clipped in the outside of my back left pocket, next to my wallet. Take's up no space on the belt, easy to get at.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
  14. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Are you kidding? This is a no-brainer. How often do you need a flashlight? How often have you, anyone you know, or anyone you have read about needed an extra mag?

Flashlight!

15. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    A flash light has a lot of uses other than SD.

Flat tire on the roadside at night, trying to exit a grocery store after a power outage or a fire fills the store with smoke, wife drops a earring on the sidewalk etc... A flashlight is just a handy thing to have on you. I use mine several times a week for something other than Identifying bad guys.

16. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    I rather not pick, you can get a small flashlight that fits in the pocket. Needless to say, I use the flashlight often (because I seem to be the only person that carries one); the mag has seen no use outside practice/training. I carried a flashlight long before I ever carried a firearm.

BTW, I have a bigger one in my vehicle for those times more coverage is needed (like when the AAA show up because your vehicle is not working and they can’t see diddly squad because they forgot their flashlight. :upeyes:

17. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Why does it have to one or the other? Change depending on what you are planning to do. If it's a night on the town, then perhaps a flashlight. If you are heading to a rough part of town (I don't know why someone would want to but hey) then the extra mag.

I agree that you should find a way to carry both. I do and it's not an issue.

18. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Spare mag for sure; medium-sized Surefire flashlight as well :supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  19. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Flashlight...Klarus XT-11

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q7_n6BtphE&context=C36f5703ADOEgsToPDskKMysAu8mcw66Jede7tST82"]Klarus XT11 LED 600 Lumen Tactical Flashlight Review - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012