close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Flashlight nerds - help me, Surefire question

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Sharky7, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Alright - Looking at getting a new tactical flashlight for the duty belt.

What is the difference between the Surefire Z2X LED, Surefire G2ZX LED, or the Surefire AZ2 LED. They seem like basically the same flashlight, what am I missing?

Also - is it really worth it getting the LED over the standard bulb. I have the Surefire Z2 combat light right now with the upgraded bulb. I like Surefire and have been pretty happy with my old one, don't want a re-chargeable. Any suggestions that I am missing for a small flashlight similar in size to the above?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman
    Expand Collapse

The LED is really worth it. The beam clarity, brightness and overall durability are really worth it. Also, average of 3 hour runtime versus a 45 minute runtime. As far as the differences in the lights I have no idea.

I have been carrying an LED belt light for over a year now and will never go back.

3. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux
    Expand Collapse
    Shut your mouth

Surefire's incredible failure is the push button tailcap design pisses me off to no end. Most of their lights have the exposed rubber push button. I must manually twist my Surefire's to keep them from having a light A.D. Whichever one you get make sure it comes standard with the better tailcap. No uber tactical pistolero is gonna convince me how great SF's standard tailcaps are. LED is obviously better but for chrissakes don't spend over 100 bucks on a stupid flashlight. Of the lights you listed, buy the cheapest one. I have several Surefires.

Sorry rant over.

MF

4. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

All 3 lights are their "tactical" variety. The Z2's body is metal, like their base P60s. The G2ZX is polymer body, like their base G2s. Not sure about the AZ2, but assume it is metal.

I only use P60, P90, G2 and G3s. On duty, the primary light is the G3 (incandescent) backed up by a G2 (LED). I like the P90 incandescent because the light is much brighter and harder than a bluish LED. I use the LED mostly for evidence searches, etc... where a long burntime might be required.

As you may know, SF is upgrading their line, so many models are being discontinued. Don't know which of the models you mentioned are, or are not. Also, within any line, there might be "old" version vs "new" version.

5. seanmac45

seanmac45
    Expand Collapse
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

6. TsunamiMike

TsunamiMike
    Expand Collapse

I had the same question as I have to pick up a tactical flashlight. I was looking at the g3 I can't see paying over 100 for a flashlight...

7. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

8. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

i recently bought the G2X tactical and i like it a lot, replaced the tailcap with a "clicky" one from surefire and have no complaints. With LEO discount i think the light was $50? I run it on my AR and the older G2 LED on my shotgun. I probably wouldnt use either for patrol because they both use batteries and are not rechargeable. I love my strion, hang it up every night and it is good to go before every shift.

9. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Wait. STOP.

Go buy:

Streamlight Polytac LED (Currently $36 on Amazon)

Surefire V70 Holster (Currently $25 on Amazon)

That's it. $61 for the best compact light and holster combination out there, period. Even Cochese agrees!

10. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

plus the cost of batteries... rather pay $95 and never need to buy batteries and have a solid light

That being said i have a V70 i'll sell for $20 shipped

#10 SCSU74, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

I've got a Strion LED, too.

12. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Thanks for the link!

I have a SF 6P laying around with a dead incan bulb that I fried with.... DX rechargeables. Strangely enough, I can't kill an LED bulb with them.

Yep. My tailcap was on the fritz for a while. I got pissed off at it one night when I was especially frustrated with work and I spiked it off the ground, expecting it to explode. I was readying my snarky comment to DBBR on here when I pick the MFer up and realized I fixed it by throwing onto the pavement with the full force of my adult tantrum.

Thanks Brad!

Fortunately, my PD supplies 123's. I carry a Streamlight Ultrastinger rechargeable with a Terralux drop in as my primary light.

13. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Thanks, but I already got the V70. I currently have a surefire I am using with the V70 holster on my duty belt.

I get free batteries through my city - so no need for a re-chargeable for me.

14. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Looks like a good light - really good price at $36 bucks. Good to have around, I am going to order one.

I really don't mind dropping like 100-130 for a bit more brightness for a duty belt light. I take pretty good care of my stuff, my current Surefire Z2 has lasted me 8 years or so. What do you think of some of the other LED lights at 200 lumens? Worth upgrading from the 130 to 200 lumens?

15. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

Definitely get an LED. I bought a G2 LED last year before the new models came out and I love. I also have mine mounted in a V70 on my duty belt. I would suggest a plastic one, metal gets hot/cold and doesn't really offer much more in durability for it's intended use as a back-up. Heck, I use mine ten times more during the daytime than I due at night. By far the best thing I have bought for work right after my rifle. Personally I don't have any issues with tailcap. If it was rifle mounted that would be a different story though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. TsunamiMike

TsunamiMike
    Expand Collapse

How are the stream lights? I am looking at a Streamlight 88031 Protac Tactical Flashlight 2L which is only $39, which isnt that bad. 180 lumens for 2.5 hours, visable up to 126 meters and has an on/dim/strobe and a clip.

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88...7354600&sr=1-1

What do you think? does this compete with Surefires line? 101 reviews and a 4.5 star...not bad

17. TsunamiMike

TsunamiMike
    Expand Collapse

Just to throw out there" nebo lights? The redline and blue line look cool but cumbersome... Thoughts?

18. jwhite75

jwhite75
    Expand Collapse
    Gubmint Worker

I highly recommend the Olight, and Fenix line. Bought a T25T for my friend for a gift, and the Olight T25T for my borther for a gift. Both were so nice I wanted to keep them for me. They were super bright LED and ran on AA batteries.

19. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

I really do expect that you'll be impressed with it. Although I have the Strion, which is brighter, in a cargo pocket, I use the Polytac a lot more. I think I have three or four of them floating around, plus a couple old G2 LEDs that I retired when I went to the Polytac.

20. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

Im very impressed with my polytac. I will placing an order for another for a backup from amazon when I get home. $36 is hard to beat for such a great light.