close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

flashlight help please

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by gumdokid, Sep 15, 2012.

1. gumdokid

gumdokid
    Expand Collapse
    the karate kid

i am a new reserve officer.

i am looking for a good duty flash light bright led, and has good distance. i carry a maglight now i want something smaller but long enough i can still do the flashlight over the arm hold with a gun.

thnks in advace

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Knute

Knute
    Expand Collapse
    "Nothin"

I really lilke my Streamlight Stinger LED. It is long enough to tuck under your arm but short enough to stow on your belt full time without being too bulky. It's also rechargeable (not sure if this is an issue or not). Otherwise, I really like the Streamlight PolyTac. It is small, uses their C4 LED bulb and cheap.

Plus their warranty is great if anything ever goes down.

3. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

I have a department issued 5.11 Light For Life. Only had it a few months, but so far it seems like a decent light. The quick recharge ability is nice. It's a good general purpose light.

I keep a Surefire G2X on my belt that is brighter and has a farther throw than the 5.11. It gets used mostly of a day or for tactical purposes.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

4. 11A

11A
    Expand Collapse

I have a TRL-1 on my gun, so I don't have to worry about holding a flashlight when doing a search. I also carry a Surefire 6PX Defender on my belt. But, I don't have enough room on my belt for a taser and my baton, so I carry my rechargeable maglight for duel purpose applications.

5. gumdokid

gumdokid
    Expand Collapse
    the karate kid

per deprtment rules we r not allowed to use weapon mounted lights

6. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp
    Expand Collapse
    Methberry PD

Might I make a suggestion? Nothing beats a c cell maglite. If you must have a compact light, streamlight stinger either in Led or with the terrelux mod.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. Vigilant

Vigilant
    Expand Collapse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JETBeam-BC4...3331365?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item2a1a81a8a5

Someone else mentioned this light on this forum recently. I don't own one, but it's looking pretty good. Appears to have similar dimensions to a C cell Maglite. Not that there's anything wrong with a C cell Maglite. I keep one in a desk drawer at work for that occasional knucklehead that needs some Special High Intensity Training. Haven't had to use that option yet.

#7 Vigilant, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

9. TBO

TBO
    Expand Collapse
    Why so serious?
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

Klarus XT11

10. old_pigpen

old_pigpen
    Expand Collapse
    Huh? What?

I carried a Streamlight Stinger when I was a reserve. I upgraded using the Terralux LED last year. After all the years i've had it, its still my go to light.

I'm planning on rejoining the SO's reserve unit very soon. I just bought a Streamlight Ultrastinger with both DC and AC chargers for $35. I've always wanted one, and the sheriff won't let us carry batons but will let us carry flashlights :whistling:

#10 old_pigpen, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  11. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

For reserve duty a few times a month (probably less) the Maglite should be fine. I still carry mine at night on traffic stops and have a Stinger on my belt as backup.

12. RF7126

RF7126
    Expand Collapse

This. I use the LED Stinger as well and am thrilled with it. I tried a few cheaper lights in an attempt to save money but they kept breaking and weren't really what I wanted anyway. Just get a good one from the beginning, you'll be thankful later.

13. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

Pelican 7060 or the new 8060 are both great LED lights and have lifetime warranties.

Oh, Danners FTW.

#13 lawman800, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  14. rockapede

rockapede
    Expand Collapse

'Twas me. BC40 is kicking butt for well over a year now, still melts eyeballs like new. Just got into a scrape with it tonight, in fact. Still fine. I've convinced 4 guys at work to buy them without even saying anything (they just see it in action). Couple people on this board have bought them as well. It's as close to perfect as a duty light as I've found. If it could dock to charge, it would BE perfect.

15. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

depends what size you are looking for. for a larger light the streamlight stinger is a great light. I like a smaller size so i carry a streamlight strion on my belt. Both are rechargeable and both have end cap activation. Can't find a better set of duty lights as far as i'm concerned.

Stinger:
    http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=123

Strion:
    http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=154

16. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

+1. I used a regular Stinger for years as a Fireman/medic. I recently switched to smaller surefire's and Streamlight polytac's due to their compact size. I miss being able to tuck it under my arm while writing down info. Stingers are a great all around light, especially now that they offer the LED option.

#16 bmoore, Sep 16, 2012
  17. Chowser

Chowser
    Expand Collapse

bought an OLight M20S on sale for $50 a while back, rechargeable batteries and charger will set you back another $20/$25, but then you've got a four hour battery life on high setting (320lumens) and this light has decent throw. medium setting will get you through a whole shift (which i hope you don't need to have a light on for your whole shift). this light is pretty compact.

Comes with holster already for your belt.

Check battery junction, all-battery, lighthound to see if it's on sale.

18. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

For a killer light on a budget Maglite has really stepped it up with the XL200. Its comparable in size to most 1" bezel Surefire lights and runs on 3AAA batteries that are alot cheaper than CR123's.

About a $40 light, and its a maglite so it will last forever.

19. ray9898

ray9898
    Expand Collapse

I just ordered a Fenix TK21 and so far it is hands down the best belt light I have ever owned.

468 lumens on high all the way down to 5 lumens on low from a light that uses 2 CR123's or one rechargeable 18650. Long run times, nearly 2 hours on high and 220 hours on low. It had everything I wanted, separate button for brightness selection, momentary-on tail switch and waterproof. It is simply amazing.

The anti-roll ring is also removeable so it will fit in a standard belt loop holster.

[​IMG]

#19 ray9898, Sep 16, 2012
  20. bikerdog

bikerdog
    Expand Collapse

Great choice.

I carry two fenix lights while on duty and I think they make some of the best lights for the money right now.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine