close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fixed vs. Folding Troy sights

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Archer-one, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Archer-one

Archer-one

May 12, 2009
    I was thinking about getting some sights to back up my red dot on the 9G carbine I'm putting together. My question is this: is there any advantages/disadvantage with fixed sights compared to the folding battle sights?

I see that the fixed are cheaper (less parts I guess) but there would be a certain convenience with a "flip up" sight.....but one opinion I've heard was that they were not as durable once they were drug through the dirt a bit, i.e. the moving parts failed after dirt and other particles penetrated the moving mechanism.

Any opinions formed through practical application?

2. bjesse60

bjesse60

Aug 7, 2008
    KY
    I have owned several Troy sights and they lock up tight and are built like a tank. :cool:

3. Archer-one

Archer-one

May 12, 2009
    Thank you, sir! That's good to know. Now I see that Troy makes Tritium sights....geez the internet can be a terrible thing...on your wallet!

4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I've had a few sets of Troys, they're just as solid as fixed, while maintaining a very low profile when folded.

5. Archer-one

Archer-one

May 12, 2009
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I have to head out of town for a week, so if I don't respond for awhile, I'm not really a snob, honest!

I'll be at the SHOT show, maybe I'll scoop a set of Troy sights while I'm there. So far I've yet to see better. Thanks again for the imput everyone.

6. Archer-one

Archer-one

May 12, 2009
    Now I see the XS makes AR sights, I might have to check those out as well. Anyone have any experience with these?

7. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Nothing wrong with the folding. They're build very solid. I also don't have any plans of digging a foxhole using my front sight...

8. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    For Folders I like Troy and PRI... they lock up tight and have precise adjustements

9. Archer-one

Archer-one

May 12, 2009
    "I also don't have any plans of digging a foxhole using my front sight."

LOL. Well, you never know! :) Somehow I have a way of being tough on my gear, even if I am on the detail-retentive side.

Any thoughts on AR sights with tritium?

10. Can't speak from personal experience, but I read a long thread
    on another site that a police officer did on putting together
    a personal AR. He posted that he would use Troy if going with
    a folding rear and LaRue if going with a fixed rear BUIS.
    I know they are both fine sights.

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

a lengthy article, but some good info.

11. jockdeeznutz

jockdeeznutz

Apr 20, 2007
    I got rear folding ones with tritium. I got them for around $160 shipped. Now i just need the front troy folding sights with tritium. They work really nice at night. It's worth the money to get the tritium ones. I have FDE ones but here is what they look like

[​IMG]

Here is the front

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  12. Archer-one

Archer-one

May 12, 2009
    Wow! yep, that was a little long :wow: but good info nontheless. I'll have to go back and finish reading it later. Thanks for the link.

13. Archer-one

Archer-one

May 12, 2009

Good looking sights. They price is pretty good as well. I think the Tritium Troy sights are around three bills.