close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fitness Challenge

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by ateamer, May 12, 2012.

1. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

A fitness challenge has been issued at work between day, swing and graveyard shifts. Five competitors from each shift will do the Cro$$fit "Cindy" workout - 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats, as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes, with the goal of 20 rounds. We have four weeks to prepare. My first go at it wound up with 7 rounds in 8 minutes and almost going for the bucket, but too wiped out to puke.

Bring.
    It.
    On.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    Good luck ateamer. Keep us posted on your progress.

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Dec 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Pullups are the great equalizer on that one.

I've never gone longer than 10 mins on Cindy.

4. I would primarily GTG the pull-ups for training. I think my best Cindy was 16 rounds and some change.

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    If it was a kettlebell challenge, I bet the swing shift would win!

6. JBaird22

JBaird22

Nov 18, 2005
    Washington
    Good luck Ateamer. I am trying this tomorrow night for my workout. I may die.

7. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

So far not making a great deal of progress, but at least I am going to try. Some guys wimped out completely because they "aren't good at pullups". Weak.

If I get to choose the next challenge, it will be 1.75x bodyweight deadlift for max reps, 60% bodyweight military press for max reps amd pullups with bodyweight +10% for max reps, two minutes between exercises.

8. JBaird22

JBaird22

Nov 18, 2005
    Washington
    I tried this tonight thinking I was going to have my ass kicked. If my arms wouldn't have weenied on me, I would have been gtg through 20 minutes but I started to slow down at #11. I made it 13 with about 4 minutes left and tried unsuccessfully to do 5 more pull ups. The push ups were no problem, the squats were no problem. Like Brad said, the pull ups are the killer. I am going to try it again in a couple weeks and see where I am at.

BTW, I warmed up with 200 rope skips.

9. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    Ateamer,

Are you doing the cheating style of pullups like the Xfitters do?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  10. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I'll use fairly strict form. Five pullups is no prob, at least for the first five rounds or so. But since the rules allow it, I have no problem with swinging or kipping or whatever it is called. If the rules allow it, take advantage and go right to the edge.

11. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    My best Cindy is 21 rounds. Kipping pullups of course, full ROM squats and solid push ups for the most part. Cindy is a grueling workout but it is mostly how much gas you have in the tank rather than strength. Strength comes into play but the reps for each movement are small enough each round that you don't burn out too bad. Pushups are my goat in that workout.

MF

12. 757CC

757CC

Jun 23, 2009
    NC
    Good old Cindy.....good luck and have fun!

13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

It looks like I am out, and for awhile. Injured at work while making an arrest. Looks like torn and detached tricep tendon.

14. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Aug 27, 2006
    CT
    Ouch man, sorry to hear that.

I may attempt this workout this week.

15. JBaird22

JBaird22

Nov 18, 2005
    Washington
    I tried it again and got 17. It's become my "I don't have time for a big workout but I need to sweat a little" workout.

16. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The initial diagnosis from the ER is a ruptured triceps tendon. The first appointment with a surgeon is late next week. It took a few days to wind through the bureaucracy of workers' comp, but they are letting me pick the doctor.

I did some reading up on this type of injury. It looks like it is rare, cannot be fixed without surgery and recovery takes a long time.

17. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Dec 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Very sorry to hear that ateamer.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

18. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    I got one of those on each arm (one upper and one lower). It was two different events. My biceps shifted away from the tear point on each one. On one they said they couldn't do surgery and on the other they said they don't need to. They said the surrounding muscles would take up the slack, and they pretty much have. If I'm pulling somebody hard in class, I sometimes notice pain. Good Luck with your recovery.