close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

first youth deer gun

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by punkture, Nov 18, 2006.

1. punkture

punkture
    Expand Collapse

my son turns 6 in february and is dying to kill a deer this or next season. he's small, but has more determination than necessary. i don't remember exactly how old i was when i started deer hunting - probably 8 or 10 or so - and hunted for a couple years with a single shot 410. after killing a few with it, my dad let me use his 30-30. i still have the 410, but i'm thinking it may be a little much for him. my dad sold his 243 last year and i don't own a 223. i've toyed with the idea of purchasing one of the two or maybe just letting him shoot the 410. he's been clocking hours in the woods with me, but if he gets too ansey to let his body get some size on it, what would be the best all around starter gun for him? he can drill turtles with his 22 for what its worth. ;)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Esox357

Esox357
    Expand Collapse

Most states require a set age prior to any big/medium game hunting. If not a issue for you or the state your in does not have one than I would use a 223 if legal. This is probably the only caliber that is light enough in recoil for him to shoot. Pass on the 410 idea as well. Otherwise I would wait until he is atleast 9 years of age to harvest his first deer. Deer hunting is a relatively slow and boring type of hunting it does not have alot of action and after the shot the works starts. It is also easy to get cold sitting and waiting. I would start him off rabbit or squirrel hunting using a 410 or 22 LR until he gets big enough to be able to hunt deer. Esox357.

3. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

.410 is a poor deer killer IMO.

Can he get hits at 40yds with a rifle? If so then a NEF in .243 or .223 might be the ticket.

6 is awful young to shoot anything other than pellet guns and .22's though. Even the recoil and report of a .223 out of a youth sized gun might shy him away from it.

4. punkture

punkture
    Expand Collapse

he is out of school all week with the holiday. my grandfather took him out today and is going to again tomorrow while i'm at work. they got a doe today and got to see 6. it may be a few years before he is big enough to take one of his own, but so far he seems to be just as into it as i have been since i was his age - and hunting with the same old man!

5. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Remington makes reduced recoil ammo for the .30-30.

I'd find a used .30-30 lever action and cut the stock down for him then load it up with the Reduced Recoil ammo.

I started my son at age 9 with a Winchester 94 that I cut the stock down for him. Use 210 gr silvertips in it. he never shot a deer with it. Now he's 13 and uses a .30-30.

6. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando
    Expand Collapse
    Long Range Guru

Remington Model 7 Youth Rifle in 243 Win! Perfect gun for a youngin!

7. grecco

grecco
    Expand Collapse

+1