close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Vietnam War Book Using Northern Sources

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by doc540, Oct 6, 2012.

1. doc540

doc540

Until recently, the North has kept a tight lid on all internal information, data, and correspondence.

Now the first book has been written using unprecedented access to classified North Vietnam sources.

Just started her book this week, but so far it's outstanding.

There was a HECK of a lot going on in the North that we've never heard about.:wow:

Thought I'd share it for those here who are interested in history.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hanois-War-International-History-Vietnam/dp/080783551X"]Hanoi's War: An International History of the War for Peace in Vietnam (The New Cold War History): Lien-Hang T. Nguyen: 9780807835517: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bew3ttNLL.@@AMEPARAM@@41bew3ttNLL[/ame]

note: I do not agree with the author on many of her points, but I'm being enlightened about many things keep secret by the North for decades.

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

outstanding, thanks for the link!

3. ca survivor

ca survivor

Thanks for the link!

4. sombunya

sombunya I Like To Watch

Link didn't work for me, but it was easy to find at AMAZON. Thanks.

5. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I recently finished reading The Last Valley, which was about Dien Bien Phu soley from the French perspective. I'm tired of reading about Viet Nam from the U.S. POV. This book should be a very interesting read. Of course, it'll be slanted but should still offer nuggets of interesting information and facts.

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Cool topic.

Usually the winners get to write history.

7. tongix

tongix

All the paperbacks of the Vietnam were all written by US vets . I ve read them a lot back in the 1990s. All the same stories end to end showing their tours of duties in black and white pics.
    I hope we get to see the side of the COngs and NVAs. They were also very gifted by great military commanders. If not for Ho and Giap and Pham Van Dong, they wouldnt had won the war. These three were fueled to the core by Vietnamese nationalism , and followers of Mao's guerilla tactics.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  8. norton

norton

The Cong and the NVA were not run by gifted commanders. They got their asses handed to them during Tet. They were able to fight a war any way they saw fit while their enemy (Us) fought with one hand and one foot tied behind their backs.

9. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

So you are saying their commanders didn't handcuff their soldiers, that says a lot about their decision making capabilities.

10. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Just downloaded it. Thanks. I was in Ho Chi Minh City a couple years ago, and went to the War Remembrance Museum. It was interesting to see the war from their viewpoint.

11. norton

norton

No , it doesn't. What it says a lot bout is a "win at all costs" mentality, that the US govt stopped believing in after 1945.

12. Patchman

Patchman Florist

In The Last Valley (Dien Bien Phu from the French POV), the author protrayed the NVA leaders as amatures (this was the first time the NVA coordinated 3 divisions to one battle). The author attributed success to the presence of ChiCom military advisors (and material) up to the highest levels.

Who knows, maybe it was sour grapes on the French part. And/or maybe against the U.S., the NVA had learned and became much better. :dunno: Probably both.

13. doc540

doc540

Just to be more clear, this book was written by an American, capitalist scholar of Vietnamese descent.

She's the first scholar to have been granted access to previously classified information which has been kept secret for decades.

I can't put the book down.

There was major dissent and conflict within the enemy ranks, but they've kept it covered up all this time.

14. sombunya

sombunya I Like To Watch

That's how I understand it. We had politicians running the war rather than qualified military personnel.

15. Caver 60

Caver 60

That's the way I saw it, and I lived it from 1966 through 1972 and beyond. I was over there for some part of every year during that period.

That's not to say we should have even been there in the first place. But Tet was the great turning point. In 1966 those of us involved saw it as a just war. After Tet we saw it as a stupid political war that cost far too many US lives. JMHO.

16. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Tell the generals the desired outcome, let them go fight the war and don't bother them again until they come back to give you the results. Why do politicians think they have to micromanage?

17. doc540

doc540

I think this book is a giant step toward having a better overall understanding of what was going on both in the North and internationally.

Some of you might enjoy it.

18. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

I didn't mean that as a bad thing. It's what is wrong w/ our past/current mentality about being the world police vs defending the nation against threats to our way of life.

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I believe that's the case here. HH

20. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I read a book in believe the `80's that was written by a North Vietnamese officer. It detailed his trip south on the Ho Chi Minh trail and the last battles including the fall of Saigon. It was a good read, but I forget the name of it.