close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time shooting 20SF

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by 20SFLV, Dec 9, 2011.

1. 20SFLV

20SFLV
    Expand Collapse

I took my new 20SF to the range today for the first time today. Some people warned me about the recoil, but I had no problem with it. I went through about 250 rounds today, and enjoyed. After shooting the 20SF, I shot my 75B and there was a big difference in recoil. Still, the recoil was quite manageable. I haven't gotten my KKM barrel yet so I was shooting American Eagle 180 grain rounds which was great. Small groups, and no real problems with the gun. Once I get the KKM barrel, it will be time to try some hotter rounds.

Only problem I had was that the gun ejected the brass too far away so I couldn't collect most of the brass. Not happy about that because at some point I may get into reloading. Some of the brass fell forward of the red line so no way I was going to get that.

Also have a Colt Delta Elite coming in so I will probably take that gun out next month to the range.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow
    Expand Collapse
    Ret. Fireman

Congrats! Yep, ejected brass goes the distance...ranges need to be more tollerant of shooter's brass!

3. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

A 22 or 24 lbrecoil spring will help with the brass ejection. Just wait till you bust off some real 10mm loads! That bad boy will rock your world! You will be smiling ear to ear, at least I was..american eagle isnt a whole lot better than .40sw...

4. 21Carrier

21Carrier
    Expand Collapse
    Until I Gota 29

You will be fine shooting hotter loads through your stock gun. Anything from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, or Underwood will be safe in your stock G20SF.

5. rcd567

rcd567
    Expand Collapse

Be sure to check prices before ordering any of the three above. You'll find Underwood is half the price but good stuff.

6. 20SFLV

20SFLV
    Expand Collapse

I was told that the store ammo is similar to the .40S&W. I have some stronger ammo, but don't want to shoot it until I get my KKM barrel.

I was thinking of getting a 20 or 22lb spring, but decided to stick with the stock spring for now. I suspect the American Eagle ammo will be cheaper than the hotter stuff so that is probably the ammo I will shoot mostly at the range.

7. 20SFLV

20SFLV
    Expand Collapse

I bought Buffalo Bore before I heard of Underwood. I plan on placing an order through them soon.

8. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Welcome, 20SFLV, to a fine platform and cartridge. I am pretty sure that you will grow to love them.

A couple of unsolicited thoughts:

If you are going to shoot factory range stuff, I like Remington UMC 180s better than the red box ammo. It is fairly close in price. A lot of guys like Georgia Arms purchased in bulk "canned heat."

I have a 22# spring. I use the factory weight more and more lately because it is softer shooting and gives quicker followup shots for me. Think heavily sprung pickup. Lots of jarring over bumps when not hauling a heavy load. My only failures, thus far, have been with the 22# spring. The stock setup has digested anything I can feed it. That includes heavy handloads and boutique factory ammo like Buffalo Bore. A reason to go with a heavier spring is to reduce frame battering, but I don't think that is an issue in a polymer-framed Glock. Others notice that brass is not flung as far with a heavier spring. I haven't noticed much, if any, in that regard. Even with a 22# Wolff spring, my G20 launches brass into the next county. I mostly shoot at my outdoor club/range, so collecting brass is not a problem - if I can find it.

No need to wait for a KKM barrel to shoot the hotter factory stuff. Not trying to talk you out of an aftermarket barrel, but to alleviate the concerns of shooting heftier loads through your stock setup. My suggestion would be to shoot the Buffalo Bore loads. If your Glock is like my Glock 20, you will find zero issues.

When I first bought my G20 I was certain that I would get an AM barrel. Many thousands of rounds later, I have not found the need. At least in my setup, the horrors of "unsupported chambers" have not come to fruition. Some guys get Glock smiles, which are concerning, with hotter stuff. Mine has almost completely been void of Glock smiles or other worrisome brass issues. The cost of an AM barrel will get you a long way toward a reloading setup. Money better spent, in my opinion, than going with an AM barrel.

Good idea about keeping your brass. The 10mm benefits from hand loading. Your costs can be WAY reduced, plus you can really exploit the versatility of this fine cartridge in a way that only expensive boutique factory ammo can. Plus, I can reload range ammo for less than $20/100. Keep in mind that if you reload for a KKM barrel, any brass shot through your stock barrel will likely need a push-through rezising die to get it to feed properly. Your stock barrel will not care what you feed it - except maybe cast lead (mixed opinions about this).

#8 Taterhead, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  9. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

Everything tater said is right on! In my personal opinion, 95% of the time, if a load is too hot for your stock barrel, it doesmt belong in an aftermarket barrel either....so basically what Im saying is, you can shoot any factory ammo out of a stock barrel with no problems, if it is too hot for the stock, it is too hot for an AM barrel. Where there is an exception to what I said is when it comes to rolling your own. Some people shoot loads that just expand to much and get glocksmiles when using the factory barrel, so there is good reason to get an AM barrel. Im just saying you should not fear to shoot any factory loading through the stock barrel.

10. 21Carrier

21Carrier
    Expand Collapse
    Until I Gota 29

You will be absolutely fine shooting Buffalo Bore ammo in your stock G20. As with Taterhead, I have THOUSANDS of rounds through my stock G29. I have even gotten Buffalo Bore numbers out of my short G29 barrel, safely. If you go to BB's website, they are very clear that their ammo is fine for use in a stock Glock 20.

11. 20SFLV

20SFLV
    Expand Collapse

Thank you everyone for your advice.

12. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic
    Expand Collapse
    magnifi ba$tard

[​IMG]

I'm so damned sick of the pervasive, ridiculous rumor that you must use aftermarket barrels to fire full-power 10mm.

Your factory Glock barrel will handle any commercial ammo out there, (yes, even Buffalo Bore and Underwood), just fine.

Congrats on the new 20 btw. They're fine pistols.

#12 post-apocalyptic, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  13. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

post-ap is correct....the stock glock barrel can handle anything an aftermarket barrel can...only concern is glocksmiles on your brass, but that only matters if you plan to reload them.

14. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Congrats on the G20. :)

15. texas 48

texas 48
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

I load my own so I use a KKM in my 29sf and an LWD in my 20sf . These barrels signicantly reduce bulge in the cases. I used to put my Glock OEM barrels back in after my range sessions but now have fired a couple of thousand rounds thru both aftermarkets with no FTF or any other problems. That being said I should return to putting the OEM barrels in after the range sessions because in a SHTF situations the looser tolerances of the Glock barrels could be more reliable.

16. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm
    Expand Collapse

And if reliability doesn't suffer there's no reason not to.

While true, one shouldn't NEED an aftermarket barrel. Then again it's not a perfect world and not every Glock barrel is created equal. Nor every lot of ammo for that matter. And Glock does allow for quite the six o'clock gappage in the best conditions compared to most other platforms available for any ammo. Especially for a cartridge that on it's own handles 37,500 PSI AVERAGE pressure according to SAAMI with a properly designed barrel, and CLEARLY a stock Glock barrel doesn't meet that criteria.

#16 glock20c10mm, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  17. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Except that aftermarket barrels are an expensive solution to a problem I do not have.

So to throw money at a solution that, at best, will yield equivalent reliability to the outstanding service record of the Glock chamber. In my opinion, one would be safer to slightly derate one's ammo than to think that the holy grail of kaboom protection is an aftermarket barrel. If one is that close to the ragged edge of safety, I don't think it is a necessary place to be - especially for carry ammo. Before anyone jumps in with, "why not just get a 40," I do operate at 10mm velocities, thank you very much. I am talking about operating in that elusively narrow band between supposedly too hot for a Glock barrel and but not too hot for a "fully supported"chamber chamber. I do not draw a distinction. We see posts with obviously overcharged ammo. Yet folks always jump in and claim an aftermarket barrel is the solution to the problem.

I am a business guy, and I have sat in meetings mulling over liability issues with legal representation. I find it hard to believe that Glock would launch a firearm to the public that knowingly did not conform to SAAMI specifications. That would be an egregious act of willful negligence.

Not trying to talk you out of running with what works for you. However we see new guys on here all of the time that have just dropped cash on a new firearm. Yet they can't afford components or ammunition because people start telling them that they must to out and start buying all types of replacement parts for their Glocks.

Anyhow, not trying to be argumentative. There are many opinions about this subject..

Stay safe.

#17 Taterhead, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  18. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

I agree tater.

Having said that, I did buy an aftermarket barrel, for the simple fact that they do keep the brass from bulging quite so bad, and there are no smiles on the brass. Im gonna be reloading soon, and the more life I can get out of my brass, the better.

19. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Curious: I get zero smiles on anything I have run through my gen 3 G20 barrel. There has been one exception with a certain handload. Curious about what you are seeing smiles with in your stock setup. G20? G29?

20. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

G20sf, there are light smiles on everything I shoot that is full power. It is just an imprint where the case expands against feeding ramp. It isnt anything that would keep it from being reloaded, IMO.