close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time OC = Police called to Starbucks.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Jade Falcon, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon
    Expand Collapse
    WTF EREN?!

Well, it's the last time I'm going to ever open-carry, other than sanctioned events, gatherings, meetings, on the range, or off the beaten trail. Not again in public.

I showed up at one of the local Starbucks right at 2 o'clock (I didn't have $2 bills, so I figured if I timed it right...*lightbulb: idea!*) to protest the boycott that the Antis have their panties in a twist over. I had Mas's latest book, which I thoroughly enjoy reading. I had a black leather coat on, with my Glock 22 in a Tagua Gunleather OWB holster undernieth it. My plan was to, once I ordered my coffee, find a seat, take off my jacket, and relax.

After I ordered my Fappachino, I glanced around, and the place was packed. Luckly, there was an open leather seat at the back of the shop. I took it until a table opened up. As I got to the seat, I took off my coat, and a "hush" came over the shop. As I draped my coat against the back of the chair, I sat down and glanced up. There was more than a few eyes glancing my direction. I just ignored them, and continued my business, until the table in front of me opened up. When it did, I got up, draped my coat over the back of the opposite chair, and sat back down to read.

45 minutes later, I glanced to my right, noticing a black-suited-leg, and a voice called out "Hello Sir." I glanced up, expecting to see someone who supported the 2A, a gun-owner, or someone who objected to my presence with a gun.

Instead, it was a member of Vancouver's Finest. I said "hello sir." He asked if he could talk to me for a minute, and I said "sure, should we step outside?" He nodded politely, and I asked if I could leave my things on the table. He said "sure, no problem." I got up and followed him out.

As I stepped outside, I said to him "I can probably guess why you're here," with a small smile. His Seargent came walking up the sidewalk and stood politely next to me. He smiled and gently patted me on the shoulder to move me under the awning outside the shop (it was raining lightly, and breezy).

The officer nodded and said "yeah, you know...open carry, it's..."

"Controversial?" I offered.

"Yeah," he continued. "And yeah, Starbucks has a policy, but people see you in there with a gun, and they can't tell if you're a cop or not." (We were outside a 6-lane very busy road, that was extremely loud, and I was wearing hearing aids, so I listened very carefully, and I am pretty sure that is close to what he said).

"Completely understandable," I agreed.

He asked to see my ID, and I gave him both my CWP, as well as my license. "Got a Glock?" he asked, glancing at my gun.

"Yes sir, Glock 22." His Sgt. asked if I still lived at the same address, to which I responded "yes." He wrote down my info on his pad.

The officer who addressed me called the Sheriff's office (or dispatch, I'm not sure) regarding my permit. He asked my middle name, and his Sgt asked my for my DOB. I don't think his Sgt's radio was working.

I asked them if they were called out here, and he said "yes. Somebody gave us a call. We'll just check your ID, and be on our way."

I tried to explain that I was here protesting the boycott, and the officer said "in solidarity?" I said "yes sir".

Both men were very polite. I was very impressed at their professionalism. At the same time, I was sorry that they had to waste precious time responding to this "problem", rather than someone who could have really used their services.

After a minute, they gave my stuff back, and I was allowed to go back inside. I shook the officer's hand and thanked him. I believe he stepped back inside to talk to management, but by the time I reached my seat and looked back towards the door, I could see him outside, walking back to his car.

Once I got back inside, I noticed a couple of people staring at me and, after a minute, I glanced at my coat and thought "concealed means concealed." At the risk of having them called back out again, I went ahead and put my coat back on, where it stayed the rest of the time I was there.

For the first time since I got my permit when I was 21 in 2004; the first time I open-carry, the Cops get called. I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon. I'm glad they didn't write me a citation or arrest me for "Unlawful Display". Now that would have been, not only embarrassing, but damaging to our cause to promote our 2A Freedom.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Jade Falcon, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like walking BACK in while OC was totally worth it! You stood up and faced the hate. Nice job!

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon
    Expand Collapse
    WTF EREN?!

Thanks man. I edited the post to be more precise with further detail because, when I first posted it, I got logged out of the public domain that I'm using. So the story is now in it's entirety.

4. Oso

Oso
    Expand Collapse

So drinking a cup of coffee while open carrying in an open carry state is now "unlawful display"?

Please explain to us again why you were there. You were there to support what?

:faint:

5. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon
    Expand Collapse
    WTF EREN?!

Support against the Valentine Day boycott by the Antis.

6. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED
    Expand Collapse

I too got the cold shoulder at starbucks today... No police but it was uncomfortable to say the least. I OC all the time but today was my first almost bad experience. Nasty looks and one of the employees talking under his breath. We left instead of sitting down to enjoy our coffee.

7. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Keep in mind though the officers did NOT have to go through all this with you. You were clearly not some maniac with a gun. Even if they respond they don't have to go confront you.

8. thekobk

thekobk
    Expand Collapse
    'OP'

Sorry to hear you had to go through such a hassle. My wife and I went to our local Starbucks and had no issues at all and I was able to pay and tip with $2 bills. My bank was in the same strip mall.:supergrin:

9. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

I would say that with the publicity about the 'protest', the patrons might have included more than a few of those protesting, or at least some sympathetic with the anti group.Give things a few days to get back to normal and OC there again.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

I support the concept of OC if it's legal. Legal is legal. But I ain't doing it.

#10 cowboy1964, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  11. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

So antis are protesting not frequenting Starbucks by frequenting Starbucks?

12. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

That's fine it's your right to CC, OC, or not carry at all.

13. cangler

cangler
    Expand Collapse
    Republican!!

I have mix views about this subject, and I'm defiantly not against OC it's just I don't think I would do it personally, at least not around crowded public. It may draw extra attention to myself, which I rather avoid. If you're comfortable doing the OC, go for it but good luck! I wish TX would give us that option.

14. cangler

cangler
    Expand Collapse
    Republican!!

15. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Curiosity, to see how many OCers show up so they can call the cops on them...

16. Fox

Fox
    Expand Collapse
    Varmit Control

I would have explained to the officers that I am not the one breaking the law. That they need to talk with the persons making the emergency calls to police. Maybe cite them for making false police reports.

17. AA#5

AA#5
    Expand Collapse

"I was sorry that they had to waste precious time responding to this "problem", rather than someone who could have really used their services."

Uh......who caused officers to "waste precious time responding to this "problem", rather than someone who could have really used their services??"

18. Misty02

Misty02
    Expand Collapse

Jade Falcon, you are either a very calm and excellent writer or your experience was not as negative as you perceived it when you wrote it. It is indeed a shame that officers had to waste time in their day to deal with a non-issue, but think of the message all those present received.

People call the police when they want to get rid of things that bother them or they believe have witnessed something against the law. Your pleasant, polite and professional interaction with the officers sent a loud message to all those present.

I am sorry you had an unpleasant time but I believe your interaction was more beneficial to those present than in the thousand of places where people carried and absolutely nothing happened.

Five of us went together to Starbucks today as well. There is no OC in Florida but my oldest son, his girlfriend and my oldest grandson wore very telling shirts. After ordering we left them a large tip in cash and explained to them why we were there. The kids behind the counter had heard something about it and knew it had to do with guns but didn’t know it was today and didn’t know much about it, they did before we sat down to enjoy our order. I would say that my oldest son’s Tshirt with huge letters on the back saying “I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy” got more attention than he bargained for, no one called the police on us though. It was the first and probably the last time he's worn something like that. We bought it at our first gun show as a keepsake not ever planning to actually wear it. As a matter of fact there was a patrol car in the parking lot when we arrived, they left shortly thereafter.

We all went there today to make a statement. I cannot see how you could have made a better one with the great interactions others got to observe.

My personal opinion is that you did beautifully! :thumbsup:

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

You said it way better than I could have. I think your response was a million times better than the constant "am I being detained" crap we hear constantly on these open carry video/audio recordings.

IGF

20. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

:thumbsup: :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.