close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First time at the range

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tylerlayne, Jan 25, 2013.

1. tylerlayne

tylerlayne
    Expand Collapse

I took my just acquired glock 22 to the gun range for the first time yesterday. It was all over the target with no really good cluster of holes on the 50 yard range. After bringing it home I tore it down to clean it and the inside of the barrel looks pretty worn. About how much would I be looking at for a barrel that's in better shape? Is there anything I can do with the barrel I have to restore it so I would still have a numbers matching gun? Thanks in advance for any info.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

What exactly do you mean "worn"? Unless this pistol is about 70yrs old, or has about a million rounds through it, I doubt the barrel is "worn". How old is the firearm?

#2 IndyGunFreak, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley
    Expand Collapse
    Bonafide User

The rifling is a little different in a Glock. Is it because you don't see grooves or is there some other reason you think it's worn?

4. Shiloh228

Shiloh228
    Expand Collapse

I'm having a tough time equating "...just acquired..." and "...range for the first time..." and "...barrel looks pretty worn..."

OP: did you actually clean it and then look down the barrel?

5. NewportNewsMike

NewportNewsMike
    Expand Collapse

50 yards is LONG way to start if to see how a pistol shoots - particularly for the first time out.

Back off your distance to something REALLY short (say 7 yards) and see how tightly the gun (and you) will shoot.

Once you get to the point where you can get a good group, THEN start going for the longer distances.

That's the way I would approach it.

6. ScaryPerryDawsy

ScaryPerryDawsy
    Expand Collapse

Did you have your target at 50 yards? I personally wouldn't shoot at that range with a newly acquired pistol. Try 15 yards next time and see how well you do. ;)

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. tylerlayne

tylerlayne
    Expand Collapse

Yes I had the target at 50 yards. Now that I think about it that is a little far. What I mean by just acquired is that I just got the glock on wednesday night.First time at the range I meant the first time I've taken the glock to the range. I have been a member at the range for over a year now. They have 3 outdoor pistol ranges with 50 yards being the longest. I will try a shorter distance tomorrow when I go back. The reason I thought the barrel would be worn is when I look through it I can see the rifling but not quite the same that my rifles have. Do pistols have a smoother bore than rifles?

8. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley
    Expand Collapse
    Bonafide User

Glocks have hexagonal rifling which looks smooth, not the typical grooves like you're used to.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. tylerlayne

tylerlayne
    Expand Collapse

That makes me feel better. I thought I had a worn out pistol.

10. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr
    Expand Collapse
    1. Christian Studies

Many of us start out shooting at 3 yards. Seriously!

Getting used to a Glock trigger takes time because often just the act of pressing (pulling, squeezing) the trigger throws the bullet off the point of aim.

Most right handers start by shooting to the left & vice versa.

11. maestrogustav

maestrogustav
    Expand Collapse

You're looking at polygonal rifling. It is completely different than a rifle. If you didn't know that, you might get the impression that the barrel is worn.

Did you buy it used?

And shooting a pistol at 50 yards is, well, kind of a waste of ammo. Fun once in awhile, but not something any of us does frequently. Rounds touching at 50 yards? A miracle with a pistol freehand.

Start at 3 yards; go to 5, 7, 10, 12. 50 yards is for when you have a bet with your friend.

12. maestrogustav

maestrogustav
    Expand Collapse

Google polygonal rifling.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

If anyone suspects their handgun is inaccurate, and assuming they are not a national handgun champion competitor, they need to do 3 things:

1. Sit at a bench and see if the gun suddenly groups better :)

2. If that doesn't work, have a more experienced shooter try the same thing from the bench.

3. If that doesn't work, try some different ammo.

If none of those fix the problem, then you might have something wrong with the gun :)

14. bennie1986

bennie1986
    Expand Collapse

Depending on the size of the target if you were at least consistently hitting the target your in good shape at 50 yds!

15. Hamrhed

Hamrhed
    Expand Collapse
    AKs & Glocks

I would start at 7 yards and see what you have- that should give you a good idea on the accuracy of your Glock, as mentioned...

I only mention 7 yards because that was the standard I was trained at for my CCW license

16. 125K9

125K9
    Expand Collapse

It seems to be time to sit that barrel down and have a talk with it. Tell it if it doesn't straighten out then it's time to hit the road. If you look down the barrel and see eyes looking back at you then you know it's time for a new one!

17. commonguy001

commonguy001
    Expand Collapse

freehanding a pistol at 50 yards and expecting anything resembling a clustered shot pattern is asking too much IMO.

18. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

7 yards is a good starting distance, try it next time.

19. tylerlayne

tylerlayne
    Expand Collapse

Made it back out to the pistol range today. The 5&7 yard range was packed as usual so we had to go to the 15 yard range (i wish they would make a members only 5&7 yard range). Still I was impressed this time from 15 yards. Had a lot more on the target this time than I did from the 50 yard range.

20. BMiracletx

BMiracletx
    Expand Collapse

50 YARDS! REALLY?

Geez... there is a reason that most pistol ranges only go to 25 yards... and even then most pistol shooters rarely shoot at 25 yards. I think average range would be 7-15 yards. Most pistols are sighted for a distance of 15-25 yards. Anything past that and your margin of error becomes exponential. Most GOOD shooters are happy if they can keep all their rounds within a 6-inch circle hand held at 25 yards.