close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'First Tier' SD Ammo for .45ACP/5.56/12ga?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Deanster, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Deanster

Deanster
    Expand Collapse
    Cheese?
    Millennium Member CLM

Hi! Thanks for being willing to share with us here on GT!

I'm rotating my SD ammo after a few years with most of it sitting in the safe, and thought I'd check in and see if there's anything that's jumped out in recent years as 'top tier' that I should be looking at as I put together an order?

I'm looking for .45ACP, 5.56mm, 12ga, and 9mm. Handguns are compact Glocks, long guns are a 16" Colt AR-15 and Benelli M1S90. Home defense is the most-likely scenario, though I'd prefer loads for all firearms that are good general-purpose 'all-hazards' rounds, if possible.

My current ammo is 230gr Remington Golden Sabre (unbounded) for .45ACP, generic 5.56 SS109, 000 buckshot/rottweiler slugs for 12ga and 9mm Speer Gold Dot 115gr +p+.

It sure seems like Speer Gold Dot is the preferred SD handgun ammo, so my default purchase would be .45ACP 230gr Gold Dot and 9mm 124gr Gold Dots. 5.56 seems more challenging - the 'default' seems to be one of the various flavors of Hornady TAP. Advice on 12ga seems to be all over the place, from 00 buck to birdshot, so I'd be very appreciative of any recommendations there. I'd probably go with Federal 000 'tactical' loads if nothing else leaps out as better.

Thanks again!

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

For HD purposes, you've made good choices on .45 and 9mm (I'd suggest +P in the latter), and in .223. For the Benelli, it would be hard to beat Express load #1 buck.

Just one more guy's opinion,
    Mas