close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Sig Sauer Help

Discussion in 'The Sig Sauer Club' started by streakpi, Mar 13, 2011.

1. streakpi

streakpi Meat on a Steek

May 15, 2009
    Illinois
    My buddy wants a gun - his first. He wants a 9mm for HD and range time - not CHL. The wives will want to shoot as well...hence the feel of the P229 and the SA capability was a good thing.

He shot my Walther P99QA - loved it. We then shot a Sig Sauer P229, XD9, Beretta PX Storm, Glock 17/19, and S&W M&P Pro - he went for the Sig in a big way. Capacity (15rd) was there, feel, noticed recoil, grip, etc all worked (for both of us).

I have never bought a Sig before...I also loved the feel of the P229 and would get one for HD/Range time. Went shopping online and found best price of @ $750.00.

Problem: During research I found TONS of different models and sub-models within the P229! Hell, just wanted a 9mm DA/SA which felt the way the P229 did. Any suggestions on other models which fit 9mm category in Sig line? Is $750 a good price for new with night sights.

Thanks in advance, will continue searching blogs/threads.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Great choice! I have a bunch of Sigs and they are my primary platform for a variety of disciplines.

[​IMG]

My suggestion is to avoid the "Sig Bling" models that proliferate their site. The Equinox is a perfect example of a pistol that, in many cases, shooters remove the fancy grips because they are too big for a double stack.

Most of today's Sig's triggers are mediocre compared to what they were a few years ago and you may want to redirect any potential "bling" funds towards their Action Enhancement Package.

Personally, I prefer all stainless steel models for their durability and weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

3. backbore

backbore

Mar 6, 2003
    Maryland
    Keep it simple. Pluck a traditional DA/SA model with alloy frame. I own a 220 stainless and love it but it is a heavy piece for all day carry. I'm not saying people don't do it, but am saying it's not something I'd do if I can avoid it. That's why my ST is my bump in the night tool...that and my Mossberg.

4. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Nov 4, 2004
    NH
    The plain Jane P229 is a fine carry gun.I like them with out the rail. I use to carry a P228 but I had to sell it to pay my taxes. I am going to get a P229 with out a rail in the very near future. Sig use to make some very fine guns.I tend to buy the older ones now a days because of the trigger pulls.

5. streakpi

streakpi Meat on a Steek

May 15, 2009
    Illinois
    This would not be a carry gun - pure HD. Also want his wife to be comfy shooting it, hence why we like the DA/SA. However, will hit range this weekend to shoot both P226 and P229 again.

BTW- on another note...found a P250 2SUM package for $625 new. I like the concept [for me] but no nothing about this set-up (other than you can make it a full-size or sub-compact. Anybody own one of these kits? Doubt I can find at the range...also didn't really want a DAO again...but maybe I can get a 4.5# trigger. Thoughts?

6. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

Nov 4, 2004
    NH
    I am not a fan of the P250. Just doesn't feel or shoot like a Sig.

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    :agree:

8. backbore

backbore

Mar 6, 2003
    Maryland
    Haven't shot the 250 but love the way it feels and really like the smooth light trigger. I've been hankerin for a G30 (the one with no rails) for a long time but the 250 has me tryin to track down a 250c .45 to try out at the range.

9. wingspar

wingspar

Oct 7, 2009
    Oregon
    Just the Plain Jane P229 sounds like what you want. Probably the cheapest of the bunch of P229 variants. You can also look at CPO P229's also. (CPO = Certified Pre-Owned) They come from the factory with a one year warranty. I just picked up a CPO P220 for $550 delivered. MSRP on a new one is $975, tho you can find them cheaper.

I shot a P229 in .40 last month. Great little gun. Next time I get to that range, I’m going to rent a P226 and a P229, and shoot them side by side.