Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

First SIG - P229 SAS

Discussion in 'The Sig Sauer Club' started by WoodenPlank, Mar 27, 2012.

1. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Well, I finally came into my first SIG after quite some time of wanting one. I acquired a first-gen P229 SAS and a 357SIG barrel, LNIB except for the (slightly) used barrel. While the factory wood grips are beautiful, theyre just too darn wide for my hands. The factory plastic grips on other 229s I have handled fit me just fine, same for the E2 grips. Does anyone have a suggestion of where to get a replacement set of grips for a low price? Also, are there factory plastic DAK grips so I don't leave the annoying gap where the decocker used to be?

Yes, I know thread is useless without pics...

Edit to add: My SAS appears to have unusual sights. Reading online indicates that it should have a tritium front only, but this appears to have SIG factory 3-dot sights, with MH3 (I assume Meprolight) markings with AJ date codes.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

Jul 30, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    A fine first choice.

3. 17119jfkioe

Apr 23, 2010
    Beautiful piece! Thanks for posting a pic. I hate when someone starts a thread about their new purshase and fails to provide pics. Then I think to myself...........

Anywhoo, how is the double action trigger on it?
  4. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Very nice

Congrats! :cool:
  5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I actually prefer the DAK trigger. I've had a few issues with low hits, mainly due to the different length of the trigger pull and the slightly too-large grips. I'm coming from a Glock 32 (that I am glad to be rid of), so there's definitely some difference. Other than a little discomfort in the web of my hand (between thumb and forefinger, I think due to the size of the wood grips backstrap), the recoil impulse is MUCH milder than the G32 was - well worth the loss of one round of mag capacity.

From what I have been able to find online, I'm going to be stuck with a hole in the grips until I can afford a set of aluminum or G10 DAK grips, as nobody makes inexpensive plastic grips that are not cut for the decocking lever. So, I need to look at what little budget I have remaining for gun things right now, and decide if I want to just get the standard Hogue (non-finger groove), 229 factory grips, or splurge for the E2 grips.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    Very nice.

7. camaro_dave

Feb 25, 2007
    very nice! my first sig was a bi tone p229 SAS. loved it.
  8. TSAX

Jun 5, 2010
    :cool:, Digging the two tone and wood grips

9. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    She's now wearing Hogue non-wraparound rubber grips in place of the SIG Custom Shop wood grips. They are a lot thinner, and fit my hands a lot better than the wood grips did. I was surprised that the screws from wood grips actually fit the Hogues without a problem.