close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Rifle. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ToBePD, Dec 4, 2004.

1. ToBePD

ToBePD
    Expand Collapse
    SPC - E4

I plan on going hunting next year and I will purchase my first rifle around May. Just wondering what is a good rifle? What would you all recommened? Price range is $200-$400. I wan't something that will hopefully put it down right away if the shot placement is right.I don't want a shotgun from the start, i just want a rifle to hunt with. I am 19 years old, just to let you know.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. lomfs24

lomfs24
    Expand Collapse

What will you be hunting? Deer I presume. I would look at something between a .243 and a 30-06. I tend to stay on the lighter side of things. I have successfully taken deer with as little as a .223 or a .17 Rem. However, that is not generally accepted as "good hunting" even though I have never lost a deer or had one suffer.

A .243 is certainly enough. But if you are planning on shooting anything larger like an elk you might want to look more at a 30-06. If you are planning on doing a lot of long range shooting while hunting take a look at a 25-06 or .270.

I would not get a magnum gun for my first. You don't really need them anyway. Unless you are shooting something large like an elk or moose.

I tend to stay with common cartridges simply due to ammo selection. .243, 25-06, .270, 30-06 or .308. I have also heard good things about a 7mm-08 but I have never been around or or shot one.

As far as brand, I would have no problem carrying or shooting a Savage. Although, the price on them is starting to creap up around the same price as a Rem or Winchester. I have heard great things about the Savage Accu-trigger. I would have to shoot one first.

Hope that helps.

3. ToBePD

ToBePD
    Expand Collapse
    SPC - E4

Sorry I forgot to mention that, yes I will be hunting deer. Only bucks, I personally would feel incredible remorse if I shot a Doe or Fawn.

I want a gun that will undoubtfully put the animal down within a few hundred feet with a proper shot placement. So a .270 sounds about right then or should I go with the 30-06? Recoil should be not a large issue seeing that it will be a gun that is only used for a few months each year.

4. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony
    Expand Collapse
    NRA4EVR

.30-30 Winchester = deer rifle.

5. protozo1

protozo1
    Expand Collapse

I would go with the .30-06 it is a great round very cheap and very available and there are tons of different weights around. If it's your first rifle I'd recomend a bolt action. For the money you mentioned I'd look for a used Remington 700, Browning A-bolt, or Savage, or Winchester. My first choise would be the Browning but they usually cost more even used. The best thing is to go to a gunshop with lots of used guns and put them to your shoulder and work the safeties, pick the one you can afford that fits the best and works the smoothest. If the one you like is outside your budget then put it on layaway and pay over time. If you pick something that is really lightweight it will carry nice in the woods but kick harder than a heavier rifle. If you're shooting at a deer you won't feel the recoil but at the range it might bother you. .30-06, .270, and .308 are all fairly similar, will all preform very well on deer and black bear, and the ammo is cheap. Good luck, TAKE YOUR TIME and talk to a lot of people so when you do buy one you'll get the right one for you.

6. ToBePD

ToBePD
    Expand Collapse
    SPC - E4

Thanks for the wise words. I don't plan on buying until at least income taxes come back. I also could go with a used rifle seeing the frequency I will be using it. Yes, Bolt action sounds the best to me also(I love that sound, it sounds almost as nice as a pump action shotgun).

7. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

Yeah, good suggestion.

8. blacknet

blacknet
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

Simple one word.

M1

Ed

9. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152
    Expand Collapse

I have three. A 7mm Rem mag, 300 Wby mag, and a 260 Remington. The 260 or 7mm-08 would be a good first gun. ;c

10. lomfs24

lomfs24
    Expand Collapse

I would feel sorry if I shot a fawn. However, shooting a doe, to me, is a necessary evil. Shooting a buck does nothing for population control. Shooting does will reduce deer numbers. I realize that in many parts of the country you don't actually want to reduce population. However, here, it is a concern for healthy herds.

I would take a 25-06 over a .270 but that is just my pref. 30-06 is good as well as .308. You can get cheap range ammo so you can practice a little more too. Practice makes for good shots. :)

Also, if you are going to buy a brand new gun talk to a local gunsmith, not your sports shop, and ask him how to properly break in a barrel to get the best groups.

11. Craigster

Craigster
    Expand Collapse

This may not be what you want to hear but I recommend a bolt action 22 long rifle and 10,000 rounds.

Practice..............play...............then ask.

12. TexAg

TexAg
    Expand Collapse

Like Lomfs24 said, a fawn you should not shoot, but there is no reason to feel remorse for shooting a doe. In most areas doe should be shot now and again (sometimes more should be shot than bucks) for population control and they offer great meat as well. Why would you feel remorse for a doe and not a buck? An adult deer is an adult deer and you are killing it, male or female.

13. ToBePD

ToBePD
    Expand Collapse
    SPC - E4

All the male does is just populate by having sex as much as he can (then again the doe trys to recieve as much sex as she can to). I don't know if the population is high around where I live, if so then maybe I will, maybe I won't.

14. TBO

TBO
    Expand Collapse
    Why so serious?
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

One of the finest white-tail deer rounds available. The 7mm-08 has it all. I currently hunt with a 30-06 and have been more than pleased with it. I still recommend a 7mm-08 for a deer gun to anyone who asks. It has moderate recoil and a nice flat trajectory. You can take game cleanly out to 300 yards. We've had 3-4 guns in this caliber in my deer camp and all have performed well (both at the bench, and more importantly, in the field).

TBO

15. ToBePD

ToBePD
    Expand Collapse
    SPC - E4

The only problem with that is that I want to spend as little money as possible and buying two guns is not cheaper. I can deal with the recoil for my first gun if it means saving $200.00. But yes a bolt action and long barrel sounds nice, but I want power also. Lots of power.

16. modgun

modgun
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

In reply to the suggestion to get a 22 first, at first, I was gonna say, "he didnt say he is going shooting for the first time, just buying his first rifle, maybe he has shot for years and just wants his own gun now."

Then I read that last post in reply to the suggestion about getting a 22lr as your first and realized that might be a good idea. You see, and this is all assumption based only on this thread, he said to get,

"a bolt action 22 long rifle"
    and you said,
    "a bolt action and long barrel sounds nice, but..."

Maybe it was a mistake but you alluded to the fact that you dont know what "22 long rifle" is, when you refer to it as a measurement of the barrels actual length. 22lr is a specific type of .22 round, it does not mean the gun has a long barrel.

If this is the case, then, no offense-we all started somewhere, you DO need to get a 22 and 5-10k rounds and practice.

Otherwise 30-30, 30-06 and 7mm are all good, Id personally go with sixgun who said 30-30.
    But I grew up hunting moose and large bear, so I dont know quite as much about little things like deer!

17. ToBePD

ToBePD
    Expand Collapse
    SPC - E4

No. I was stating that I like a long barrel (because I plan on doing far distance shooting and that will keep accuracy closer) and I like the manual slide of the bolt action. Yes this will be my first rifle. Yes I have shot before, just never payed attention much about the specifications on the gun was.

18. muddydog

muddydog
    Expand Collapse

stop that buck only BS.....

there is NOTHING...wrong with taking a doe..or a yearling and actually..i would seriously look at taking yearlings..up there where you are.

the winter is a ***** on a yearling..

nothing better eating than a young deer.
    remember..
    "hunters in the know...take a doe"...LoL. the ODWC's ad for doe killing.

why are you looking at distance shooting..
    just curious..
    whitetails are sport for getting close..thats where the fun is.

personally i think all newbies should have to start with either model 336's or M-94's with open sights..

that way they learn..properly before all the gadgetry comes into play.

19. modgun

modgun
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

20. onemilmhz

onemilmhz
    Expand Collapse
    Ten Ninety Five

Not to hijack the thread or anything, I know others have already mentioned this but I think as a new(er) hunter you should understand the dynamics of buck-doe ratio. Here in Georgia a hunter can take eight doe and two bucks per season. That's because the deer herd here is a little over populated. Researchers estimate that the states eco-system can effectively handle a herd of approximately 800,000 while we currently have around 1.3 million. Do the math. If Georgia hunters don't start taking more does the herd could be in jeapordy of disease and malnutrition. Georgians are already feeling the effects of a record number of deer-vehicle collisions in recent years. Anyone who has driven the interstates here can attest to that. I even saw a doe crossing a busy road in downtown Macon (a city of around 100,000) the other morning. I know everyone wants to shoot old "mossy horns" on opening day but believe me, by hunting doe you're doing your part to maintain the herd in your area.

Now, to answer your actual question ;f