close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First real hunting bow!!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by ajstrider, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ajstrider

ajstrider
    Expand Collapse
    Silent Warrior

Well I have been shopping and reading about bows for about a month now. I haven't shot one in fifteen years, but now that I am out of the navy, I want to get into bow hunting to extend my season. I decided to go ahead and get a nice bow that will last years and years. Results: Hoyt Alphamax 32, 29" draw, 50-60# set at 60#, Tru Glo sight, Fuse stabilizer, Easton Axis N Fused arrows, Tru Ball cyclone release. I took it outside and shot it, what a rocket launcher! So much faster than my bow I had as a teenager, wow. I figure get one now and practice all summer long for deer season in October!

And since a thread is useless without pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Go for it. Make sure you post that 1st kill with it . :rock:

3. klt1986

klt1986
    Expand Collapse

I have been an avid Hoyt shooter for about 12 years now. My most recent is a 2006 Hoyt VTEC. It is a sweet shooting bow....I'm actually afraid to shoot the newer ones as I'm afraid I'll get the new bow "fever". Congrtas on the new bow and good luck this upcoming season!

4. ajstrider

ajstrider
    Expand Collapse
    Silent Warrior

Thanks guys, it seems the hunting/fishing forum is not getting much action here, that is a shame!

5. chevy01234

chevy01234
    Expand Collapse

Congrats!

6. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights
    Expand Collapse
    Jr Member

I only posted a link to mine with a disclaimer and it got pulled. Of course I also showed enterance and exit wounds as well as the ticker with a nice little "X" on it

#6 Usingmyrights, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  7. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

When was this?

I'm getting bows ready for aug-09 at this moment and will be at basspro range tomorrow ;)

8. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights
    Expand Collapse
    Jr Member

I guess thought people might misread that. I meant that all I did was post a link to my kill. It was during archery season when I shot it. It was over at archerytalk.com. I'll send you a link to the thread. It was removed the first time and I just got a warning about something I posted, so I've got to be good for awhile.

9. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Cool pictures and yes X does mark the spot. Great details in that link you sent me ;)

(story time)

I saw that X and had to laugh about a guy I help dragged a deer out over 4 years back.

It was shot 3 times with his bow. He even pulled a arrow out of his quiver and it had no BH on it and he shot the deer with it. ( he didn't realize this at the time , that the BH felled off)

Took about 3 hours to track him and then I help him carry his prize out over 2 miles of land. When we got it back to his truck, I counted 3 defined X in the body and one pass thru with a BHless arrow. Classic !

10. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights
    Expand Collapse
    Jr Member

I don't see how he managed to hit the deer without a head on the arrow. Doesn't seem like it would fly very well. The one I shot took off so fast, I wouldn't even have time to get another arrow ready to go before it was gone.

11. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

will he did. Your talking about killing a deer dying and in distress. It was quite funny seeing this hunter struggle with his 1st deer, but he did finish it and recover and I help bring home the bacon for him :)

BTW: Also last time I shot at my local archery , I had a compound shooter zipping a arrow ny wiht no broadhead on, it was noisy as hell. So yes a broadheadless arrow could fly straight and true.

12. robbcayman

robbcayman
    Expand Collapse

Hoyt makes great bows and you got the best. I've been thinking about getting a new bow this year and that's the exact one I'm looking at.

13. ajstrider

ajstrider
    Expand Collapse
    Silent Warrior

Well I thoroughly enjoy my AM32. It shoots very well and fast as near as I can tell. I have just got what I call decent form down, so I have started adjusting my first pin to get it set up at 20 yards. I'll practice there for a while, then get a 30 yard pin set up and practice there.

I wanted a tough bow, I have always favored durability over anything else in pretty much everything I buy. This one feels so much lighter than the Katera that it was an easy choice. It is like a perfectly sized and weighted bow for hunting, shooting around 320 fps IBO. I am hoping to get my hunting arrows zinging out around 290 to 300 fps, but I am new to archery so we shall see.

I have been looking at broadheads and am thinking about trying the Magnus Stingers with the bleeder blades.

14. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights
    Expand Collapse
    Jr Member

I've got an IBO speed of 318 and am shooing around 267. Thats with 5.4gpi

15. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights
    Expand Collapse
    Jr Member

I've got an IBO speed of 318 and am shooing around 267. Thats with 5.4 grs per lb

16. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan
    Expand Collapse
    Aggie in Exile.

Nice bow; I am envious.

If my old Hoytt Vtec didn't already shoot so well I'd be all over the Alphamax.

Congrats - it looks like a good start to a beautiful relationship.

17. drz-400

drz-400
    Expand Collapse

18. Morgo

Morgo
    Expand Collapse

Nice rig :)

19. JGguns

JGguns
    Expand Collapse

Nice bow. I am shooting x-force this year. This thing is a nail driver!!