close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First Post

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Green Mountain Boy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Mas,
    This is my first GT post and once I found out that you were one of the experts behind the GATE section I just had to send this in your direction....

I was recently reading that if you defend your home in a shooting incident a coffee table full of gun mags might shine an unfriendly light on you in court.

This is upsetting to me because my coffee table is littered with G&A mags as well as your books.

As an LEO would you take a homeowners reading material into account during an after shooting investigation?

Kind Regards, GMB

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Welcome to GT.

The answer is a resounding, "maybe." I'm sure a London bobbie would raise an eyebrow seeing that on his turf, and I know cops in America whose only response would be, "Hey, how come you got your new American Rifleman before I got mine"?

An opposing attorney who wants to nail you, criminally or civilly, may make a huge deal out of it, trying to paint you as someone obsessed with weapons and killing. Had a case a few years ago in the midwest where the prosecutor made much of the officer involved in the shooting having a few gun magazines and a copy or two of Soldier of Fortune in his patrol car. He wound up ultimately being cleared nonetheless.

A competent defense attorney would explain to the jury early on that if you were a coin collector you'd have lots of coin books and magazines, and if your hobby was photography you'd have a lot of camera books and photography magazines. You happen to be a gun collector and your hobby happens to be shooting, so naturally, you have books about guns and shooting.

It would be much harder in my opinion to defend a shelf filled with hate literature like "The Turner Diaries," particularly in a cross-racial shooting, and every known volume of "The Executioner."

Best,
    Mas

3. No hate lit here sir. Thanks for taking the time here. Ok time to go read some gun mags.