Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

First Post

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Green Mountain Boy, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Mas,
    This is my first GT post and once I found out that you were one of the experts behind the GATE section I just had to send this in your direction....

I was recently reading that if you defend your home in a shooting incident a coffee table full of gun mags might shine an unfriendly light on you in court.

This is upsetting to me because my coffee table is littered with G&A mags as well as your books.

As an LEO would you take a homeowners reading material into account during an after shooting investigation?

Kind Regards, GMB
  2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    Welcome to GT.

The answer is a resounding, "maybe." I'm sure a London bobbie would raise an eyebrow seeing that on his turf, and I know cops in America whose only response would be, "Hey, how come you got your new American Rifleman before I got mine"?

An opposing attorney who wants to nail you, criminally or civilly, may make a huge deal out of it, trying to paint you as someone obsessed with weapons and killing. Had a case a few years ago in the midwest where the prosecutor made much of the officer involved in the shooting having a few gun magazines and a copy or two of Soldier of Fortune in his patrol car. He wound up ultimately being cleared nonetheless.

A competent defense attorney would explain to the jury early on that if you were a coin collector you'd have lots of coin books and magazines, and if your hobby was photography you'd have a lot of camera books and photography magazines. You happen to be a gun collector and your hobby happens to be shooting, so naturally, you have books about guns and shooting.

It would be much harder in my opinion to defend a shelf filled with hate literature like "The Turner Diaries," particularly in a cross-racial shooting, and every known volume of "The Executioner."

3. No hate lit here sir. Thanks for taking the time here. Ok time to go read some gun mags.