Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

First Post- Complete gun novice

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by Hej Hej, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Shooting indoors? If so, that's louder and stinkier than outside.

I teach newbies. In my opinion it is important to learn the basics on an empty gun first, then move to a .22, then to a large and heavy .38, then to a Beretta 92 9mm, then to a Glock 17 9mm.

At that point you'd be ready for a 19 or smaller 26. Probably an hour of classroom (safety and how to shoot), and 30 minutes to 1 hour on the other guns depending on how you do, and then we'd begin working on the 19 :)

Point is you'd already know how to hold properly and would be eased into recoil step by step.

Anyway, ear plugs with ear muffs on over them will help you :)
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    This is all excellent advice. Depending on how recoil affects you, you may want to stick to a .22 like a Ruger Mark III, or a heavy .38 or .9mm like a Beretta 92 or Sig P226. I know I feel much less recoil out of those guns than a mid sized polymer like a G19.

3. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

Jan 6, 2008
    The smell of gun powder is one of the best parts of shooting!!

Seriously though, if a Glock 19 hurt your hand, I have a strong suspicion no one ever taught you a proper grip.

There are literally thousands of handguns in a hundred calibers out there. Don't give up just because that one didn't work for you. Start small (caliber, not gun - small gun and big caliber is a bad idea for you right now) and see what you prefer.
  4. Hej Hej

Hej Hej

Dec 2, 2012
    Chesterfield, MO.
    Yep.....indoor. I will consider an Intro course to fundamentals/gun safety and go from there.......thanks for the thoughtful replies!!!!
  5. Other guys will say, "Ah the 19 has no recoil, just hold it like this and pull the trigger." Maybe.

I also teach skiing. Some guy will take a friend up to the top of a mountain and say, "Now just turn your skis like this and do what I do." Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For MOST people, it doesn't quite seem to work out well that way :)

An instructor, any kind of instructor, has generally thought about the process of how to teach someone the activity. With certification, that instructor has also been taught how to teach from other more experienced instructors, and has read manuals written by professionals about how to teach that activity to a newbie. Teaching a few people is usually part of the certification process, too.

Of course there's no guarentee :)
  6. Hej Hej

Hej Hej

Dec 2, 2012
    Chesterfield, MO.
    Where do you think the best source for both ear plugs and ear muffs would be...any specific names to look for????
  7. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Mar 20, 2009
    Out There
    Personally like Peltor, many styles depending on how much you want to spend.
  8. Agree. Depends on what you want to spend and what is comfortable.

My favorites are Silencio Magnum ear muffs, with a 29db noise reduction rating. They have a metal head band, and gel filled pads that fit nicely around my ears, even with shooting glasses on. They give me a good snug comfortable fit that seems to seal out the noise well.

If indoors, underneath those muffs I'll wear E-A-R EZ fit soft foam plugs with a 28db NRR. Or any other comfortable soft foam plug that is available if I forgot my own.

The specifics brands and models depend on what you like. But note that both my choices are in the 28 to 29db NRR range. If looking, I would not expect something that is only 21db NRR to provide as good of protection, although there are probably other important factors at play, too.

Blocking out the noise helps a lot. And a good hold helps. But there are also strategies to mentally accept the recoil. Easier to teach in person, although if you can describe specific issues you are having I can try to help.
  9. Hej Hej

Hej Hej

Dec 2, 2012
    Chesterfield, MO.
    Well I am signed up for an introductory hand gun safety course later this month. Ear plugs AND muffs are on my Xmas list.....
    I'll keep you posted how that went!!!

Thanks for all the good advice.... :cool:
  10. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Mar 20, 2009
    Out There
    Enjoy, once you get squared away get a couple friends together and head to an outdoor range or club. Always a lot more fun than punching paper inside.
  11. Great. Just know that you can do it. There are lots of mental parts to it. It is great hobby that we all enjoy.

One reason I like the Beretta 92 is because it is large with a lot of surface area for the back of the grip, and it is heavy. That makes all soaks up recoil, not thrusting it into your hand.

The Glock 17 is similar in having a long full grip, just not as heavy. Thus it is a little snappier, but still very soft.

As you go down in size and weight of a gun, the recoil of a gun feels snappier. Go small enough, and you start using terms like sharp or snotty.

.38 for revolver and 9mm for semi-auto are great starting places in a heavy full size gun. But even better are handguns in .22LR (standard velocity) to learn on.

But if you go up in caliber, the recoil is typically more. .45 recoils more than 9mm for guns of similar size and weight.

The more you understand how it works, then you get better at picking a gun for you, and in learning techniques to master the particular gun you pick :)
  12. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

Jun 23, 2006
    Metro. Detroit
  13. Hej Hej

Hej Hej

Dec 2, 2012
    Chesterfield, MO.
    I am finding this to be true......LOL :wow:
  14. rivardj

Aug 28, 2005
    You are a wimp!