close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Pistol Purchase - Also, first GT post!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by walleyeinc, Feb 7, 2012.

1. walleyeinc

walleyeinc

Let me preface by stating I live in North Dakota and over the past couple years we've experienced an oil boom and an influx of undesirables into the western half of our state. That being said; I've wanted to purchase a pistol forever for plinking. With the boom and massive rise of crime the necessity to own a multifaceted pistol was here.

It took me months to determine the caliber of choice which turned out to definitely be the 9mm, considering I knew I'd require adequate (efficient) practice to become proficient. I then handled most all of the mid sized 9's and narrowed my decision to the Walther PPQ/PPS or Glock. From previous understanding of Glock's reliability and feel I decided on the GEN4 G19 and ordered last week Monday.

Shortly after ordering (what I hoped to be the perfect choice), I happened across the GT website and began reading all the horror stories of FTF, FTE, Stove Pipes, etc., etc.... Well within 4 hours of ordering my new weapon, I called my FFL dealer and asked him if he'd placed my order because I was having buyers remorse the same day of ordering my prized possession. He indicated that he'd already placed the order and not to worry as Glock's are a fine weapon and he'd never heard of anything as I mentioned. Being a substantial purchase within my budget I began to think if it was a lemon like so many others have mentioned; I'd just put it for sale, take my lumps and order a Walther in short order.

Well my Glock arrived Thursday morning last week and due to other responsibilities I wasn't gonna be able to get to the range until Saturday. In the meantime, I figured it'd be wise to pickup a couple hundred rounds of ammo. I picked up 100 rds each of TulAmmo, WWB and Federals all from Wally World. Finally Saturday would arrive and upon arrival at the range my FFL "Charlie" noticed the ammo I had purchased and needless to say he gave me a tongue lashing for buying "garbage" ammo. I felt extremely cheap and probably deservedly so.

On to the shooting! Figured might as well start with the cheapest junk ammo of all, the TulAmmo at $8.47 a box and would progress as the failures would sure force me too.

All I can say is "Wow what an awesome weapon!" Not only did this fine crafted gun work flawlessly, It was pretty damn accurate (considering the amateur behind it) as well. I can't wait to get out tomorrow night, Thursday night and Saturday afternoon to shoot another couple hundred rounds per visit.

Sorry for the long rant, I'm just thrilled with my first pistol and want to say thanks to many of you for all the awesome information this website provides.:yawn:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

You got nothing to worry about.

Glocks are the shizzle! ;)

3. 8th ID

8th ID

Welcome! Congrats on the new Glock. Well, I guess your FFL would give me a tongue lashing too for the ammo I shoot in my Glocks!!!!:wow:

Enjoy the pistol.

Walleye---my brothers favorite fish. When he was in Afghanistan I sent him a fishing magazine that was subtitled, "Fish with teeth."

4. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Yes.... Welcome! G19 is a great weapon...

5. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Congrats on the new pistol! My G19 is my favorite Glock and one of my all time favorite 9mms.

Tula ammo is good, nothing wrong with it. I have shot two 900 round cases of it through my G19 with only one failure to eject due to a lightly loaded cartridge. All the rest went bang with decent accuracy. Its a Glock it'll eat any ammo, get the cheapest ammo you can get and lots of it and get as much practice as you can.

7. garflys

garflys

I shoot all that cheap ammo also, never a problem. Some a little more dirty then others but who cares,take it home and clean it, or not. Congrat on the new gun.

8. kansasboy91

kansasboy91 Your Opinion

There is nothing wrong with WWB I've shot hundreds of rounds of .45acp and 9mm of it not a single problem. It's cheap and it works.

9. kansasboy91

kansasboy91 Your Opinion

I heard that steel cased ammo doesn't run that well though Glocks but haven't tried it

10. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

Oilfield workers are 'undesirables?" Good thing you don't have an influx of.....GASP.......Loggers.

11. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg

Welcome! I've never met anybody from North Dakota.

12. 911brute

911brute

Met one guy from nd I hope you are not like him

13. walleyeinc

walleyeinc

I must restate my theory. It's not necessarily the oil field workers that are the "undesirables." However, the BOOM and opportunities for unskilled laborers to make 100K + without any experience. It's a melting pot of mostly lowlifes that have arrived. Furthermore, the boom is in "small town" America and bringing thousands of male dominated employees. Men making huge money, 1000 miles away from the place they call home, nothing to do, no place to live and many of the inhabitants don't/can't qualify to be employed, making matters even worse. You can only imagine the influx of drugs, guns and (rape/murder/robberies/etc. crimes.) It used to be shocking to hear of serious crime in western ND... Now it's an everyday problem.

14. bac1023

bac1023

15. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

It's like anything else..... You are far more likely to see and read posts from folks who have had problems than from those who have no reason to post and are having no issues whatsoever.

I personally have several Glocks for a reason... they don't cause me any problems. They have been extremely easy to shoot, maintain, and upgrade. Enjoy your purchase.

16. carloglock19

carloglock19

17. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new G19, and welcome to GT!

Be safe, and have fun practicing your new craft.

18. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Nothing wrong with any of that ammo to practice with.
    Buy some good self defense ammo for carry.
    :welcome:

19. Bruce M

Bruce M

Enjoy your new G19.

20. Hognutz

Hognutz

Congrats on the new 19. It will serve you well. Welcome to the forum, as well..:wavey: