close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First PC build (w/ pics) - thanks, GT

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jthuang, Jan 4, 2006.

1. jthuang

jthuang
    Expand Collapse
    On The Jazz

Thanks to GT who helped me with my first PC build. Posted these same pics over at ar15.com as well.

1. Pile of parts

[​IMG]

2. POST test. Note Mr. T's watchful gaze.

[​IMG]

3. Completed PC with can of Guinness to celebrate.

[​IMG]

4. Internal workings.

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. David_G17

David_G17
    Expand Collapse
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

nice job, but you have to post the specs ;)

3. Nyper

Nyper
    Expand Collapse

Ditto. I can't read those boxes.

4. jthuang

jthuang
    Expand Collapse
    On The Jazz

Whoops. ;J

Motherboard: Asus A8N SLI AMD Socket 939

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+

Case and power supply: Antec 640B Performance Case with 400W Antec power supply. Additional cooling provided by Antec 80mm blue LED fan.

Video card: XFX GeForce 7800 GT

Monitor: Dell 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen LCD

Memory: Corsair 1GB (2x512MB) 184 pin RAM

Hard Drive: Western Digital 320GB 7200rpm SATAII

Optical Drives: NEC dual-layer DVD R/W and Lite-on DVD-ROM drive

... plus a new copy of Windows Home XP ($200 :( ). I recycled my existing Dell USB keyboard, Harmon/Kardon PC speakers and GE optical mouse.

Grand total, after rebates, and including shipping, was around $1600. A comparable Alienware system would have cost me $700 more!
    :cool:

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Just for future reference, unless for some reason you absolutely must have the Retail version of Windows, most places(Tigerdirect, Newegg,etc.), sell the full version of Windows OS's for $89, provided you buy either a Hard Drive, Motherboard or Processor from them(and sometimes, they don't even require the hardware purchase)... From the Link below, it looks like Tiger no longer requires this. Last time I bought an OEM XP from them, they included a generic, free USB wheel mouse to get around MS's hardware requirement with the OEM Software.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=335878&CatId=672

As you can see, you don't get any documentation, etc, just the CD and a CD Key, but who really uses MS Tech support?. :)

Great job on the build, looks nice.

IGF

6. dennis67

dennis67
    Expand Collapse
    Voice of reason

Nice job, congratulations on your build - now get yourself some wire-ties and tidy up your cables and such, it'll improve your air flow a little (and of course look nice).

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.
    Expand Collapse

Wow,that's a lot of PC!On the retail vs OEM Windows.I guess the OEM version is cheap enough that it's a good deal.A friend changed some hardware in his PC a couple of times and Windows XP said each time,because of a significant hardware changes that reactivation is required.Well The first activation includes only two activations.The original and a second.He called Microsoft and they told him bacause it's an OEM version and not the reatail version that they needed a credit card number to help him and give him a new activation.

I'm building a new PC right now and going to use mostly Linux but I'm going to give Windows 64 bit XP a try.Right now it's only available in the OEM version.Hopfully I won't need too many activations.

8. Furant

Furant
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Nice job ...drool. This has got to be my next project.

BTW, Mr. T and Guiness, nice additions :cool:

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Yep...

But I always thought pics like this must include a firearm casually laying on the desk, its unlocked hair trigger ready to discharge semi automatic gunfire into the house next door, blowing it up.

IGF

10. jthuang

jthuang
    Expand Collapse
    On The Jazz

Thanks, yeah I know I had some issues with the build (being my first), but I am definitely learning.

I know I gotta get some zip-ties and clean up that interior. At first it was so bad the CPU fan was jamming up on loose wires. ;g I heard they make some round IDE cables which might be able to make airflow even better.

As for Windoze XP Home, I sure learned my lesson on that one ... could have bought a retail version of XP Pro for $50 less from Newegg (sale). :(

And doesn't the A-Team figurine count for the hair trigger firearm? I mean the A-Team put so much brass on the ground ... and never hit anything. ;e

11. ngray

ngray
    Expand Collapse

I would suggest you tidy up the ribbon cables in the case... they're certainly impeding airflow.

12. Bronson7

Bronson7
    Expand Collapse

That's a pretty high-end rig! Very nice. Spend the few extra bucks and get some round cables to replace the ribbons. Very nice indeed.
    Bronson7

13. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney
    Expand Collapse
    Just Win Baby

Nice build ;) Makes me wanna break out the credit card :)

I agree with the OEM XP thing though. Last one I got was XP Home for like $55 shipped I think. Just have to look around on the net and see what you can dig up.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=317

That's what you're referring to., They do help give the interior a clean look.

IGF