close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First loads problem with primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by DRJ1911, Aug 25, 2012.

1. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

I ran a few different loads to test today on my new Dillon 650 for my 9mm's and ran into a few problems. I got most worked out but I am still having problems with high primers. I will run a few and all will be well and then get a primer or two not fully seated. This is my first time loading on a progressive and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyone have any advise ? I am using clean once fired brass and win primers and had about 15rd out of 40 that were not seated correctly so I am doing something wrong. Thanks for any help.

Doyle

2. norton

norton

Make sure you are pushing firmly on the handle when you seat the primer on the upstroke. All of your primers are small ones aren't they? Also could it be your 9mm cases have military crimps?

3. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

Thanks Norton, Yes I am using sm primers and no crimped cases. I think you are right about my seating pressure and will be watching this closely on my next batch. Thanks again

Doyle

4. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Once you have used it a while you will feel the primers seat. But you have to remember that all primer pockets are not created equal. They also haven't worn the same. My first guess would be you are not pressing hard enough on the upstroke to fully seat the primers in tight pockets. Make sure that you take a full stroke each time.

5. fredj338

fredj338

Don't baby the machine. Many first time semiauto press (I am starting to not like calling it a progressive) users are squeemish about priming. Push on the handle, you are NOT going to set them off.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

Thanks everyone, I now think that I am just not being consistent enough on the up stroke. I will work on this. Thanks again

P.S. I loaded 124gr fmj pd bullets with 3.6 and 3.8 gr of v320

Doyle

7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Wow a Dillon 650 and vv-N320, a man who appreciates the finer things in life.

Sweet.

8. TX Archer

TX Archer

You might also check the shellplate bolt. You want it tight enough that the shellplate moves freely but no more and no less. In my experience, there's a very fine line. If it's even slightly too loose, I believe it will have enough slop that your primer doesn't seat as deep as it could. The difference in too high and just right is only a matter of a couple of thousandths. I've been paying more attention to this and it has helped.

9. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I use the RCBS case prep motorized tool and slightly chamfer the case mouth inside & outside and chamfer the primer pocket, lightly, too. That eliminates virtually all issues with seating primers.

Flash

10. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

Thanks everyone for the advise. I found that I was not useing enough pressure at the top of the stroke all is well now. I loaded a few more test rounds today and everthing went well. I have loaded 3.6,3.8,4.0 and 4.2grs of v320 with 124gr fmj PD bullet's at 1.140 oal to test does this sound about right? Thanks again

Doyle

11. vtducrider

vtducrider

There is a pin that you'd use to guide casings into the first stage. I don't recall what the official part name is. Make sure it's making good contact with the casing to keep it in place for priming.

OAL sounds fine. I use 1.145", and 0.475" crimping. Others can probably chime in about the powder charge.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  12. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

What gun? Barrel length? What's your data source and what does it say your max should be?
    Why did you start with V320? Personally, I have tried V320 and a couple others and they are IMO not worth the extra cost. I would use W321 to start.

13. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

Thanks Boxerglock, I am loading for a 17 & 17L. My load data came from Lapua website. I have other powders but just wanted to try v320 first. My oal was decided upon by checking rounds in my barrel and mags " I think you could chamber a hotdog in my barrels " I am headed to the range today and will report my findings.
    Thanks again

Doyle

14. SARDG

SARDG

I love 320 and it's all I use for 9mil. It's virtually smokeless, flashless, doesn't 'stink', meters well, is light gray in color so easily seen in the case when reloading. I simply cannot find one single flaw with 320 - except it's price and availability. Since every round I build is match ammo, cost is not a concern. I make certain I stay 4 lbs ahead on stock,

I usually load 147s, but for my race gun, the load has to run the compensator. By memory:
    124 gr MG JHP, over
    4.0 gr 320
    1.135 OAL, for
    1052 FPS from a G34 highly modified racer.

Less than that will run in all my stock guns - 3.8gr for sure.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  15. DRJ1911

DRJ1911

Thanks everyone, I just got back from the range and learned quite a bit. First my 17 did not like 3.6gr of v320,it liked 3.8 better,4.0 even better and 4.2 best of all. 4.2 felt soft and was accurate in my gun son I will be loading more of these. I didn't get to try the 17L today but it will get a workout soon. I also learned that after shooting my 17 with the Vanek trigger my 36 felt awful.:shocked: Guys this is fun. Now to load some more and go shoot.
    Thanks again

Doyle

16. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I'm not saying it isn't a bad powder. I don't disagree with any of the stated advantages. However at 2K a month, the cost difference of almost and actually over 50% compared to many other commonly use competition loading powders is significant to me. That's $200 a year compared to my normal powder WST.

17. unclebob

unclebob

Don’t know if this will help you are not. What I do when raising the handle I feel the primer starting to go into the primer pocket. I then shove the handle forward. If it does not feel right when the primer first starts to go in stop, and pull the case out and see what is wrong. Saves on pulling bullets, or even destroying the primer. Most of the time it’s a crimped brass. Once I learned to feel the start of the primer going in. I have not popped a primer since then. I popped 3 before I learned that trick. Have not had any since then.

18. SARDG

SARDG

Don't have my notes in front of me, but 4.2gr sounds like it's approaching max load. I'm rather surprised that 4.0 wasn't more than adequate (and accurate). Do you have a chrony?

I hurl 147s downrange with 3.5 - 3.6 and it's extremely soft and accurate with MG CMJ.

19. unclebob

unclebob

He is shooting 124gr.

20. SARDG

SARDG

I know.