close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First LEO encounter while carrying

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by BPStymiest, Mar 31, 2012.

1. BPStymiest

BPStymiest

Mar 8, 2011
    Got off from my 2nd shift job around 12:30 am and the NC HP had a DWI checkpoint setup outside my building. Gave my DL and CWP to the trooper. He looked at them asked if I had a firearm in my vehicle and if I had been drinking. Told him no and he said. Have a great evening. Not sure what I expected but after reading all the horror stories on here and other forums I was really impressed and he was super cool. Major props to the NC Highway patrol serving the Charlotte area

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. When you said, "No", was that in answering the question(s) with regard to having a firearm in the vehicle, drinking or both?

I am assuming it was to the drinking question, since you offered you carry permit.

3. BPStymiest

BPStymiest

Mar 8, 2011
    That is correct. No to drinking as I had just gotten off work and yes to having a firearm in the vehicle on my person as both NC and SC you have a duty to inform.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. marv

marv Millennium Member

Dec 22, 1998
    South coast of Indiana
    If it was me I would have said "yes and no".

5. marano

marano

Jun 17, 2007
    I have been a LEO for 21 years. Have stopped encountered many people legally carrying firearms in their vehicle. Mostly on stops for some traffic infraction. Probably many that I did not know had a weapon in the vehicle because it never came up and I did not ask. When it did though, if they were in possession of a pistol permit I checked the permit. Occassionaly I found the permit to be expired and would advise them to get it renewed. I even stopped a few that had a pistol without a permit. If they seemed to be decent people I would just advise them they needed to get a permit and send them on their way. Only time I arrested anyone for not having a permit is if they were seedy, had a criminal history or were taking a ride on another charge.

6. Instymp

Instymp Silver Member

Jun 14, 2011
    NC
    So what happens if you had a couple drinks but were not over the limit, but before drinking you put your gun in the far back of your SUV, out of reach?

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Hopefully the gun you had in the car was a Glock :whistling:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  8. mingaa

mingaa

Dec 3, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    In MO we are not required to disclose CCW. If they run plates LEO will know. I've played it both ways in all of my two stops since getting CCW 5 years ago. Both times I've received minimal response, answered yes to the firearms question, never been asked what or where and received a positive comment about more people like me carrying on one stop. All good from here.

9. Its like everything else, you always hear about the bad and never the good. Being in law enforcement for 13 years has helped my BS detection since we hear it all the time and you get good at knowing what is true and what is not true. With that said I can tell you that alot of the stories you read on line are missing information and some are so far out there that it is obvious that they are totaly made up. Their are people on line that are either easily fooled or had a bad experiance in the past and they feed into these stories and keep them going.

10. roadkill46

roadkill46

Aug 6, 2009
    i don't tell them anything in AZ. first time i did, dang city cop made me take the GLOCK out, hand it to him with 2 fingers (?), he cleared it, left my round that was in chamber on the ground, the whole time he had his hand on his weapon, ran my truck licenses, VIN, gun S/N, and my permit #. AZ can carry anything you want concealed w/o a permit, but i keep one up to date since i don't have to go through the instacheck and some bars/dining places allow carry inside w/permit but no w/o. ordeal lasted about 30 mins. total tard! i have never even had a traffic ticket!

11. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    It's always a good idea to let the office know, but if you choose not to I would just advise to keep your hands in sight and not be digging around. Tends to put us a little on edge :) in my experience it's never the people that tell you they have a weapon that you need to worry about...

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

12. I've been a road officer/K9 handler(using my personal dogs) since 1990. If I was to stop you and you were under the legal limit, AND could still function okay, I'd send you on your way. If you had a legal driver, who'd not been drinking, as a passenger I'd make you change with them to at least get out of my sight. The few exceptions to this would be if you had a long way to go to get home or were a real jerk/had warrants or license problems. Common sense stuff. Another exception, in Texas if a person's under 21 they're not supposed to be drinking. Again, road experience and common sense come into play.

13. Falcon5269

Falcon5269 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Mar 2, 2012
    Western Kentucky
    We call it commonsense policing. Most cops have it but like with anything else, SOME DON'T!!

I have taken MANY illegal guns off the streets. NEVER have I arrested a law abiding legal carry citizen in my entire career.

Nuff said.

14. marano

marano

Jun 17, 2007
    And the longer your in law enforcement the more idiots you encounter. I despise ignorant people in general but ignorant cops really piss me off.

15. Falcon5269

Mar 2, 2012
    Western Kentucky
    You betcha! And it gives the rest of us a bad name!!

16. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Jan 24, 2005
    SC
    In my SC CWP class, we were instructed to go with the flow if we were stopped. Hands visible at all times, respond politely and truthfully. If the officer tosses our shiny new Kimber into the street, then maintain your composure and take it up with his supervisor at a later date. It's HIS dog and pony show at the moment, and anything we might do in opposition to that just escalates the situation. Take it up at a later date with his superiors, and file for damages if they happen. Don't get arrested because you feel violated. During the stop is not the time to seek justice. Make the officer comfortable. Period.

17. AGAF

AGAF On a Journey

Oct 2, 2006
    Texas
    There have been a few occasions where I informed LE that I had my permit and was carrying here in Texas. I received nothing but professional, kind, and courteous responses with no incidence whatsoever. I think most LE are this way. Like someone else pointed out; sometimes a bad apple spoils the bunch.

18. agrech

agrech

Mar 27, 2012
    (since this thread has more than a few LEO's in it) Is it appropriate to thank the officer for being polite about the exchange, assuming he was? Or would I come off as a jerk for doing so?

I haven't had it happen yet, but here in South Dakota I don't believe we HAVE to tell them, although I probably will. Just seems... wrong... to not inform the officer that I have a loaded weapon and the permit to carry it.

So I guess my second question, is it always a good idea to tell them even if your not legally bound to?

Edit: In case it's not obvious I'm still new to this Conceal Carry thing.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  19. USMC Gunner

USMC Gunner

Apr 2, 2012
    Either way I believe a police officer would feel 100 times more comfortable if he knew about the weapon instead of running your plates and they think "well he didn't tell me about his CCW he must be trying to hide something"

20. Falcon5269

Mar 2, 2012
    Western Kentucky
    Agrech: I always did before I became an LEO but thats a personal issue if ur not required to. Again as I stated in my previous thread, most cops would appreciate it and not give too much thought to ur up front courtesy. (But there are always a few pinheads out there)

Rick OShay: Is correct about ur stop. Don't agitate the LEO any further. If he is a pinhead than take it up with his superiors. Every Department has a civilian complaint policy. If need be, you can pursue that route.