close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First lead reloading - in a nutshell what do I need to know vs plated?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cowboy1964, Apr 29, 2011.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I've only reloaded .45 ACP using Berry's plated so far. I'm going to go 230gr lead RN for my next order (probably Midstate Cast). Anything in particular I need to know or watch out for? I had been using 6.4gr of Unique for the 230gr Berry's plated. Would that still work well for lead?

PS. Will be shooting these through an M&P, not a Glock.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  2. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

May 28, 2009
    CO
    Loading data manuals & websites will show values for lead. Generally speaking, plated should be loaded to approx. the same (or close) levels as lead (mid-range), so you shouldn't be too far off.

I don't have specifics for the powder/bullet/caliber you're loading for, but you should be able to find data for Unique and lead bullets.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    In reality, plated load between lead & jacketed. You'll find 6.4gr of Unique inder a 230grLRN a full power load, pushing above 875fps. Start @ 6gr & work it up if you want more. It runs about 825fps.

4. ColoCG

ColoCG

Mar 18, 2011
    Colorado
    Depending on how your dies are set up, you may have to bell the case mouth slightly more so you don't shave any of the lead. You'll just have to try one and see how it works.

Also I would recommend you lower your charge as Fred suggested and work it up slowly. I load quite a bit less of Unique over a 230gr. cast, but that's my personal preference.

5. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    5.3gr Unique under a 230gr LRN at 1.250" runs well and clean in my G30 w/ LWD barrel. I ran 6.2gr and it was stout, 5.9gr too, both leading badly. I think this LWD barrel seals things up tight bumping pressures.

6. sig357fan

sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH
    The two things I always try to do when reloading lead is to chamfer the I.D. of the case mouth and try to run the lead hardness to the velocity.

Chamfering the case mouth will help prevent lead shaving of the bullet when seating and you won’t have to flare the case mouth as much if not chamfered.

For 45 ACP loads around 800 fps I try to use bullets around BHN of 10-11, soft enough to seal the bullet in the barrel yet hard enough to minimize leading.

sig357fan