Glock Talk banner

First good knife?

8K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  NH Trucker 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure you guys (gals) see this question all the time but I'm going to ask again simply because some things may have changed.

My wife is looking for Christmas gift ideas for me and I figure a good pocket knife is something I would use quite a bit. I used to carry a really cheap POS and used it all the time. I figure I should go ahead and upgrade to something better.

Where can I read about the different metals, shapes, etc. to educate myself?

After a little bit of browsing, definitely a non serrated blade.

And, if you had to have one do it all knife, what would it be? (<$200 please).

#3 ·
As usual I run against the common grain. I have dozens of folde knives rs from "old fashioned"two-blades to Benchmades.tat includes many, Gerbers, Kershaws, CRKTs, Al Mar, Spydercos.

I do not carry a pocket knife that I would worry about too much. My current EDC is a Kershaw "whirlwind" I am happy with it and it is "backed up" by a Gerber multi-tool. I just don't see that the steels are that much better in more expensive knives,the handles aren't any more comfortable. A lot of people say that they don't worry about screwing up a good knife,but then they actually do. I use them as a tool every single day and I like one I can replace with no special shopping or ordering. Just walk into one of the two places in town that sell pocket knives, and pick up another one.

Heck I have 3 or 4 of my other inexpensive favorites like the Gerber LST and E-Z outs that I will put in my pocket to spare the Kershaw if I know I'm going to do some ugly cutting. with the new pocket sharpeners (I have a Smiths and a Gerber)I can resharpen one of the Gerbers in seconds.

#5 ·
Here are a couple sources of info:

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/knifeanatomy.php

It's a tall order to ask one folder do it all. For example, you could get a ZT30x for a beefcake of a knife, but it'd be hard-pressed to play the role of a gentlemen's knife. For your first knife, I'd suggest something more for general utility.

Within your budget, you have so many great choices - it just depends on what you like, what feels good in the hand, and maybe how you want it to ride. Here are just some, in no particular order:

Spyderco Paramilitary 2, Military, Sage, Manix, Endura, Delica, Yojimbo 2

Zero Tolerance 551, 350, 200, 30x, 560/561 (a few of these may run slightly more than $200)

Emerson - just about any of their production models, although some are over $200

Benchmade or Kershaw - a bunch of models would fill the role nicely

#6 ·
I'm not a big fan of the circular hole in the Spyderco Knives. Looking around on the Benchmade site, I like these:

470-1 Emissary
890 Torrent
940 Osborne
943 Osborne
275 Adamas
520 Presidio
810 Contego
950 Rift

Are there any major differences in these knives that a first time buyer might be missing?

Anything besides style?

#7 ·
I'm not a big fan of the circular hole in the Spyderco Knives. Looking around on the Benchmade site, I like these:

470-1 Emissary
890 Torrent
940 Osborne
943 Osborne
275 Adamas
520 Presidio
810 Contego
950 Rift

Are there any major differences in these knives that a first time buyer might be missing?

Anything besides style?
The Contego has the best blade steel, and as such would be my choice. It's my favorite Benchmade, of the half dozen or so I have left.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm a big Spyderco fan. They're like the Baskin Robbins of knife makers. So many flavors! :)

If I was to pick only one Spyderco, I'd go with either a Sage 1, Caly 3, or a Paramilitary 2.

My actual first "real knife" was the Caly 3 at the bottom of the 2nd photo.

Sage 1 (top) and Sage 2:

Caly 3 (new Damascus on top, standard on bottom)

Paramilitary 2:

#13 ·
I'm not a big fan of the circular hole in the Spyderco Knives.
I used to think the same thing until I got my Benchmade Griptilian. The thumb hole is, in my opinion, the best and fastest opening device for a folder. I will never go back to thumb studs again. I think if you give the thumb hole a try, you will change your mind. I currently have a long list of Spyderco knives that I want to try. In about a month I should have a Ulize which I think has great lines. It runs about $160.

#14 ·
hockeyrcks9901,

Man their are tons of on-line places & articles to find info on knives, best bet is do a google search or check out what the other guys have posted - that's good stuff. :thumbsup:

I have quite a few knives but the one that finds it's way into my pocket most often is my Case Stockman 3 blade pocket knife.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Case-80035-Stockman-Stainless-Synthetic/dp/B000MF2XS0/ref=sr_1_fed0_23?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354636554&sr=1-23&keywords=case+pocket+knifes"]Case Cutlery 80035 Medium Stockman Pocket Knife with Stainless Steel Blades Yellow Synthetic - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TdBlIMJML.@@AMEPARAM@@31TdBlIMJML[/ame]

A gift from my wife... she liked the color - I just liked the knife.

Perhaps I'm just a bit old school but IMHO you just can't beat a folding pocket knife for everyday use. This one is of good quality and not too expensive so if anything happened to it, I'm not out a ton of $$$ here.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

#15 ·
I see how this turns into quite the hobby...

I've kind of narrowed my search to these Benchmade's:

Any other thoughts?
I'm not a huge fan of 154CM, so I'd pass on the Presidio. The 940 and 943 are very similar, except for blade shape, I chose the 940 out of the two. That said, I do like the Contego a lot better. I can post pics of the Osbourne and Contego side by side if you'd like.

#16 · (Edited)
I see how this turns into quite the hobby...

I've kind of narrowed my search to these Benchmade's:

Any other thoughts?
810 is my favorite Benchmade and probably in my top 5 knife list. You simply can't beat the M4 blade steel and overall quality for the price.

And I do have a few knives.

#17 ·
I'm not a big fan of the circular hole in the Spyderco Knives. Looking around on the
The Spyderhole is day and night better than thumbstuds in my opinion. Studs can hamper cutting and stabbing. My favorite deployment is a wave followed by a flipper, then Spyderhole. I avoid thumbstuds when I can.

#18 ·
The Spyderhole is day and night better than thumbstuds in my opinion. Studs can hamper cutting and stabbing. My favorite deployment is a wave followed by a flipper, then Spyderhole. I avoid thumbstuds when I can.
I don't like thumb studs or holes (except on my Blurs, those work great, and on my Zaan, because the rest of the knife is so fantastic). I like flippers best, and I'm one of those heathens who will open an Axis lock by pulling back one side of the lock and rolling the blade down.

I wish the new Benchmade flipper was in S30V, I'd love to try an Axis flipper!

#19 ·
Once in a while a knife just catches my eye and I end up ordering it just for the heck of it.

I am toying with the idea since I got a Kennesawcutlery.com catalog.

It's the CRKT (Columbia River Knife and Tool) "M4 Carson folder" It comes with white bone,stag or burlwood scales.

It's a "classic" blade with a handle that looks "comfortable"

#20 ·
Besides being considerably larger, with better blade steel, the Contego's G10 handle is considerably grippier and more wear resistant than the Osborne's green aluminum. I definitely recommend the Contego. The 940 and 943 have the same handle, just a different color.

#21 ·
Get something small that you will carry.

I'd say Spyderco Delica, Case Canoe.

I don't like SOG folders and I have a hard time recommending Kershaw though may folks love both of them.

#23 ·
I don't like thumb studs or holes (except on my Blurs, those work great, and on my Zaan, because the rest of the knife is so fantastic). I like flippers best, and I'm one of those heathens who will open an Axis lock by pulling back one side of the lock and rolling the blade down.

I wish the new Benchmade flipper was in S30V, I'd love to try an Axis flipper!
The thumbstuds on the Umnumzaan are ok because they are close to the handle and unobtrusive. I am also of that clan of heathens on axis knives, I close them with the same motion in reverse.

#25 ·
Get something small that you will carry.

I'd say Spyderco Delica, Case Canoe.

I don't like SOG folders and I have a hard time recommending Kershaw though may folks love both of them.
My most frequently carried knives are a ZT 561, ZT 301, CRK Umnumzaan, And Benchmade Rukus, Onslaught, and Contego.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.