close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First gay marriage, now polygamy; what next?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Sam Spade, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I've always figured that if gays want to get married, power to them. Next, they'll get to be introduced to gay divorce. Seriously.

But, the legal implications are significant, especially in financial and end-of-life matters. And I don't feel like I should judge who should or should not be "allowed" to marry. I mean if you love someone and want to be with them, then sure, fine. Nobody, especially not the government, should tell you it isn't ok, because of what shape, size, color, or gender you are. If you're of age, fine by me.

As for polygamy (Mitt Romney Mormons start ringing in my head), I guess if that is what people want then ok by me. There could be some trickier financial implications, like insurance and social security benefits, that might need some amending. One guy dies, and twenty women are getting his death benefits? I don't claim to no the details, but a lot of laws are written assuming one husband and one wife, and those may have to be changed if polygamy is allowed. But if everyone consents, sure, it is a free country!!

(and yeah, I have enough trouble with one woman, can't imagine two or more...jeez...)_

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    If you view the individual as the center of all things, then no, society has no interest and no rightful say in who marries whom.

But the individual is not the center of all things; the individual is not sustainable. It is the family, not the person, that is the building block of society. It is the nuclear and extend family that forms society. That's been true since clans evolved into tribes and defined "their" territory as distinct from others. Society wasn't built around a hodge-lodge of individuals, but around families. And that's why every society of people in recorded history had a say in who marries whom.

3. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    :rofl:

You know what the punishment for polygamy is, don't you?

Two wives!!

4. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    On a serious note, the fed.gov needs to GTFO of the marriage business entirely. Problem solved.

5. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    Why is the govt wasting MY money being the morality police? Freakin ridiculous.

If my neighbor wants to have 2 wives I don't give a damn as long as he doesn't try to recruit MY wife. Stupid laws.

6. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    The reason the family is important is it gives the members a chance to meet each other, help each other, and learn from each other. Wisdom is passed from older to younger, and younger folks are helped to get started.
    The numbers don't matter. A person who is naturally monogamous will learn the same things from a polyamorous family." Respect your elders, eat your veggies, take care of your family, don't buy stuff you can't afford, call us if your car breaks down, etc, etc, etc."

7. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    I see nothing wrong with it as long as you don't collect wives.........

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Sep 23, 2002
    West Warwick, RI
    [​IMG]
    Gay marriage? Sure....They should have
    the right to be as miserable as the rest of us.​

9. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    So everyone is ok with the Scumbag that will not work to support his six wives that have ten kids and lives in Government housing ,on welfare and food stamps? You going to pay more in taxes just so they can live the life they want?:rofl:

10. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
  11. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    Compared to the bazillion single moms in the trailer parks and the ghetto?

How in the world do you figure that being a polygamist causes a person to become a deadbeat? Isn't that like how guns turn people into murderers?

12. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    That is a great question!

Here is one problematic view of polygamy issue:

A person can marry several wives and they all can be on the system as none of them "have" to work (making a great number to set benefit amounts). Let's use a family of six as an example (hubby and his five wives). It would make that sixteen people to draw off your taxes by the act of polygamy if they just decide to have two kids per wife.

Sound good? Not to me.

EDIT: I see I got beat to the punch, good post gunnut 45

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  13. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    Why is that different than a piece of crap in the trailer park who gets a bunch of women pregnant and they all are on welfare RIGHT NOW?

If you are saying you don't want MORE people on that system, then ok, I get that. But I don't see how making polygamy illegal accomplishes that. The women are just as pregnant and on govt assistance whether they are married or not. I think?

14. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    Exactly. Two women can't teach a boy how to be a man.

15. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    Really? What knowledge is there that a human male can teach, but a human female can not?

16. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    So these people wouldn't exist or "draw off my taxes" if it wasn't for polygamy? What is it about them being married that suddenly makes me have to pay for it?

17. Maybe not, but neither can single mothers. I think two people in loving relationship have better chance then single mother who is constantly trying to find love and failing.

For those who are lamenting the break down of traditional families, I'm not sure what to tell you. That broke down a long time ago and gay marriage is not going to do any damage that hasn't been already done. You can blame godless heathens (that's fine, I get blamed for alot of things), lack of school prayer, women voting or the 60s. At some point, to quote John Ross "You have to stop building sand castles and take up surfing."

As for original post about polygamy, I don't really see the issue with it because at least they are trying to be all proper about it.

Sam, how many calls have you taken about BS Baby Mama drama that involves two ladies fighting over the same dude? Polygamy is here whether or not it's official.

18. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    That might be sig line material right there.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    True. The reason I object to the laws here in Kentucky against both Bigamy/Polygamy and snake handling is that they both penalize something on purely religious grounds.

You can have a house full of snakes and handle them all you want, in Kentucky, but if you do it during a religious ceremony it becomes a crime - clearly an unconstitutional law, where the practice of religion is the only difference between legal and illegal.

The same is true of bigamy/polygamy - as many men and women as want to can live together, have sex, etc., but if they have a religious ceremony to declare themselves married, they become criminals (it apparently doesn't require an actual government marriage license and certificate to make it a crime). Obviously, that same argument applies equally to gay marriage, except that gay marriage isn't a crime.

20. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    And what is your opinion of gays fighting to lower age of consent laws so they can have sex with minors? If they can have sex with them, they'll be able to marry them, too.