close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First firearm, any tips? - Glock 19 gen 4

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by asingh20, Apr 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. asingh20

asingh20

Apr 12, 2012
    Hey guys, new the forum. I'm originally from NY and getting a permit out there is nuts! Just moved to Ohio and decided to get my first firearm; never shot one before. Going for my CCW course on may 5th.

Any basic pointers or tips? Also anything more I should get to start off with? Going to use this mainly for the range but for now since it's my only firearm, it will be used for personal protection also. I didn't get any major mods yet as I want to shoot it first before doing anything else. Here's a list of what I got so far. Thanks.

- Glock 19 Gen 4
    - I bought some range ammo for now, s&b 115gr fmj.
    - Meprolight Tru-Dot night sights [green rear, orange front]
    - Got some ear protection, cost 8$ on amazon for a decent one with 27db noise reduction
    - Hoppe's gun cleaner
    - militec-1 lube
    - some nylon brushes from otis
    - extended slide release stop
    - glock dis-assembly tool
    - Will probably order a SuperTuck Deluxe from crossbreed holsters soon.
    - Will probably get a 3.5lb conversion done after a couple weeks trying it out stock.

2. supersammy

supersammy

Apr 21, 2011
    Since this is your first pistol, I would recommend you take some courses and practice with the glock 19 untouched. Get 1000+ rounds thru it before you change slide release or trigger.

Be safe!

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :welcome:

I'd ask this question in General Glocking.

4. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Dec 30, 2011
    Troy, MI
    Congrats and :welcome:
    If I were you I'd load it up and shoot it!:supergrin:

5. Yes, skip the trigger job for now, buy lots of fmj and pick out some hp's for sd:cool::wavey:

6. You could use a .22lr pistol, and a bench to sit at and rest your pistols on :)

If you were still in NY, that's what I would teach you on, before moving up to a big 9, then down to your compact 9:)

Those two teaching tools make it a lot easier to learn.

7. larson1122

larson1122

Jan 30, 2012
    Minnesota
    Welcome and great choice on the G19! I agree with keeping the slide stop and trigger stock for a while before making any decisions.

8. mknpwr

mknpwr

Jul 18, 2011
    Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new pistol. Get a bunch of ammo and shoot it a lot. Take a class, learn the pistol and ecome good with it. Figure out what works for you before you change it for the sake of change, then get more ammo and shoot it some more before you change it. Do did I mention ammo and shooting?

9. asingh20

asingh20

Apr 12, 2012
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I will hold off on changing the slide stop and having the trigger job done for now. Just bought them to know I have them around just in-case I do want to change it at whatever period of time. Don't want to wait a couple days to get it shipped when/if I decide to change them.

I'm taking the CCW course on May 5th/6th and will probably take other basic pistol courses after that. Would of went this week if I could but I'm waiting for this semester to end. Too much to do to spend an entire Saturday at the course.

& I've bought 500 rounds of the S&B 115gr so far. My local range/gun shop had them for 9.99$ a box. Will purchase some JHP for SD soon. Any recommendations on brand? I've heard gold dot hp's are the way to go, but if you prefer/think otherwise, let me know =]

Might skip the moving on to bigger 9 and then to compact, but otherwise that's the plan. At the CCW course, I will be using their provided .22lr . I'm a quick study and I plan on practicing a lot since the range is only 15 minutes from my house :supergrin:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. DaBurna

DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    Good all-around 1st choice for your Glock....you'll like it here & u'll want a G26 in a few months. They are addictive!!:wavey::rofl:

11. beagbox

beagbox

Apr 7, 2012
    You'll learn d basics in your CCw course on may 5 for sure..

Then after that, you'll buy another glock...((-:

12. asingh20

asingh20

Apr 12, 2012
    Went shooting for the first time today! Need to work on my stance but other than that I'm starting to get the hang of it. Had a military buddy give me some pointers and tips while I was shooting. My accuracy at 5, 7, 9 and 11 yards was pretty good for my first time! Went through about 300 rounds today. I'm definitely hooked! Also shot his ruger 357 magnum and it went well =]

13. Sounds really good. Probably helped to have someone who knew what they were doing show you a few pointers.

14. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    Nice start to your new hobby. Learn all you can and practice the basics. Good luck and welcome to GT!

15. asingh20

asingh20

Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks! And yes, it did help having someone around =] I just picked up a 1000rd case of speer lawman 115gr tmj for 215 shipped. With tax at my local gun store, 1000rd's of the s&b 115 would come up to about 218. 3 bucks saved! lol

16. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga! Platinum Member

Welcome to this forum and to Ohio! Ohio is a CCW-friendly state alright. I'm new to guns also - got a Glock 23 last month. You'll find a lot of help and great tips here!

17. bear62

bear62

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    Welcome to the board ........ You got a fine pistol in the G19