close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First experience w/ LE while carrying in NC

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by arrtvandelay, Mar 24, 2012.

1. arrtvandelay

arrtvandelay
    Expand Collapse

So the wife and I decided to get some ice cream tonight. I was wearing shorts that were not conducive to iwb carry, so I handed my wife my CM9 (we both have NC CCWs), and we were on our way.

As we were on waiting to turn onto a left on a rd about a mile away from home, we were slammed into by a car that ran a red light. Luckily, we're only sore.

So, many, many cops show up. I know that if encountered by LE in NC, you must divulge you're carrying. So first chance I get I pull a Sheriff to the side and let him know that my wife and I both have our CCW permits and there's a gun in her purse.

He just chuckles and says, "As long as she doesn't pull it out and start blasting, we're good."

Sucky experience with the car accident, but good to know this particular Union Co. Sheriff was cool with civilian CCW...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

Thats the way I handle it, and IMO is the norm not the exception.

A bunch of folks in carry issues will disagree, but in general LE encounters with legal CCW is not a big deal.

3. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

Were the officers wearing their hats? If not, the entire interaction should be called into question. :rofl: Glad you and the wife are okay.

#3 HKLovingIT, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. LApm9

LApm9
    Expand Collapse

This kind of thing makes for a big helping of goodwill in the community.

5. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye
    Expand Collapse

You'll find that 9 out of 10 encounters with NC LEOs will be at least this good. Kudos for keeping your bearings and hope the soreness goes away in a hurry.

6. Aeroscoper

Aeroscoper
    Expand Collapse

So the only negative I've encountered were police unclear of the laws concerning ccw, that said the end result for both times it's come up were warnings for the traffic infractions, so thumbs up from me.

7. Gallium

Gallium
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

As with most things in life, the sucky things often get the most attention. Every year, there are hundreds of CCW gun encounters (some involve lethal injuries, many do not) but which threads generate hundreds of responses and thousands of views?

:cool:

-G

8. automatic slim

automatic slim
    Expand Collapse
    Walmart Shopper

+1 on that. I had a VERY expired plate and the cop took it, but then said to follow her to safe place to park my truck, and told me to get a tow.
    Really, she kinda put her job on the line I would think, but I sure did appreciate it.
    Other parts of NC, I won't mention where, are a whole different story.....

9. jellis11

jellis11
    Expand Collapse
    Yippee-ki-yay

glad you had a good little cwp encounter and glad you and the wife are okay.

Serious question though... Did you get your ice cream?

10. rilkil23

rilkil23
    Expand Collapse

Were you nervous? I often wonder how calm I will be when I have to interact with the police while carrying. I don't exactly look like Mr. Rogers and am often judged by new people who say I have an evil look. When they get to know me they always joke about being apprehensive to speak to me. Being ugly isn't easy but there are a lot of us doing it. I look like Charles Manson on crack according to my best buddy, he looks like an albino monkey, quite the pair.

11. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout
    Expand Collapse
    Behind you!

That is the most important part.:supergrin: As long as it's mint chocolate chip or cookies and cream.:eat:

OP, glad you weren't hurt.

12. arrtvandelay

arrtvandelay
    Expand Collapse

i did, but it was before the accident, i believe it's still in one of the seats somewhere...something else for the ins co to clean out of the car...

did get one bite before getting smashed though...

13. arrtvandelay

arrtvandelay
    Expand Collapse

nah, wasn't really nervous at all. my wife was quite shaken up, and she actually had the gun.

i decided it was in our best interest to let the police know b/c she was way to shaken up, and i just wanted it out the way. they took my license for reports so I wanted to be sure to let them know just in case they saw i was ccw holder from my license #.

i figure as long as i'm carrying legally, then i shouldn't be too nervous...

14. 2afreedom

2afreedom
    Expand Collapse

Imagine that...a little courtesy and common sense mean the police don't have a problem with you. Some of the people here could take lessons.

I'm glad you had a good experience.

15. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

"They're more scared of you than you are of them."

16. rilkil23

rilkil23
    Expand Collapse

I don't see where anyone was opposed to being courteous or use common sense. What am I missing from your post?

17. packsaddle

packsaddle
    Expand Collapse

it means you did good by not asking the deputy "am i being detained?".

18. rilkil23

rilkil23
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't sound like a good beginning to a conversation with a LEO when a gun is involved.

19. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

In general we love CCW holders. Only thing I chastise for is it seems 9/10 they aren't carrying. We have a couple funny gotcha's in the law you have to be wary of but that's it.(like no carrying at movies or parades)

20. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

Once when asked for license etc..,I informed the officer my gun was above my wallet.
    He responded"You're not gonna shoot me are you?(with a smile).I replied"No,I just didn't want you to see it about the same time I'm reaching towards it.

Coincidentally,I got off with a warning.I was testing out a new HD clutch,aluminum flywheel in my Mustang.I was trying to see if it'd slip at all and apparently he'd been behind me for three stoplights.He knew who I was(from where I work) and thought I knew who he was and knew he was behind me and was doing it on purpose right in front of him.

#20 Walk Soft, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012