close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First day at the range + glock 23 gen 4 = 2 FTF????

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chrisbritt15, Apr 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. chrisbritt15

chrisbritt15

I bought a NIB glock 23 gen 4 about two weeks ago, just today was i able to take it to the range. so excited i bought 200 rounds to sling down range, 2 boxs of winchester 165 grn and two boxes of fed. 180 grn both hard ball ammo. sent one box of the feds down range with no problems at all, switched over to the winchesters and had TWO FTF. strangly enought it was on the last round of each mag. Both times the round wasnt even close to chambering but instead it was sticking straight up and down. so i switched back to the fed 180 grn and didnt have any problems with the whole second box. any idea on what the problem is? possible the ammo? or the followers in the mags? happened in two seperate 13 rd mags.

just wanted to say thanks for any help up front

2. 40frank

40frank

Based on what you said, it sounds like the ammo. One time I was shooting a variety of ammo through a gen 3 19. I was having malfunctions with the WWB ammo. Upon closer inspection, some of the rounds were not seated right. When things are being manufactured anything can happen. One time I even had a problem with some defective corbon. Like I said, though rare, anything can happen when things are being manufactured. Try running some different ammo through it and see what happens. I have a few gen 4 40's with zero problems. Good luck.

3. chrisbritt15

chrisbritt15

thats what i was hoping it was the ammo just wondering if anyone else had had the problem before of feeding 165 hard ball before, kinda worried me a little at first. started thinking well its the break in period for the gun, but then again i had never heard of glocks having a break in period lol.

4. scosgt

scosgt

I had a similar problem with my new G30sf and WWB JHP. In each of the first two mags, the 9th round did exactly what yours did.

I did some polishing and worked the mag springs. It is all good now. But I have read stuff about WWB and it failed on me. I think it is a combo of the ammo and new gun and mags.
    The same WWB worked fine in my Glock 36, which had a few hundred rounds through it.

5. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Not that Federal is hot, but WWB is especially weak ammo. My guess is that it's the ammo here. Only time will tell though I suppose....

6. SJ 40

SJ 40

Been there Done that,If not ammunition related,my bet is magazine related. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399097

I bought some new Gen4 magazines a year back thought I got a great deal on them,what I got was headaches. All were 2 on the mag body with # 9 followers and 11 coil springs,the latest and greatest Glock has to offer.

I used said wonder magazines in two different Gen 3's that with the current magazines,Gen 3's I had functioned flawlessly or should I say perfection.
    All that was required to induce failure to feeds or imperfection was to load up and insert the Gen 4's into either gun.

Voyagers instructions helped me fix two of them,the rest are Down the road,good riddance to Gen 4 perfection. I have since added a number of used Gen 3's to the magazine locker and will Never spend one penny for any Gen 4 magazine,Ever.
    Rant over ! SJ 40

7. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Next time you go to the range, try to keep track of which magazine you're using when you experience the failures to feed. If it happens with one magazine and not others, the problem is the magazine.

These plastic protrusions are at the front of both feed lips in the magazine, I've had to shave them down on two G23 magazines until they worked reliably. Never mind the instructions in the picture, just shave them down until the magazine works properly. You don't have to worry about removing too much, the magazine will work fine even if those protrusions are removed entirely.

There are two of these protrusions in each magazine, one at the front of both the left and right feed lips:
    [​IMG]

And in this picture I colored in the surfaces of plastic that you shave down:
    [​IMG]

The very latest Gen4 .40 magazines that I bought already had these protrusions shaved down, so hopefully that means Glock is aware of the problem and they've fixed it in the newest magazines.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. vmann

vmann Controller

next time you go to the range, get the wwb in the 180 grain and see if you have the same problem....

i use both, the 165 and the 185 wwb, and i use the federal stuff too with no problems....

my last new glock was a 27, the first trip to the range had my first ftf in almost 20 years, i cleared it and it has never happened again....thats why i call it a shake down with a new glock...

9. chrisbritt15

chrisbritt15

this did happen on two different 13rd mags i have, not sure which ones they was. wish i had payed attention. loadded a few rounds in to my G35 mags and ran through it with no problem as well, guess i will need to take it back to the range and see what happens agian

10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

They make WWB in two different bullet weights?

This is embarrasing - I have no idea which one I have been using!