close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First Build almost there.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by BuckyP, Jun 27, 2010.

1. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    So a few months back I'm digging through my parts bin looking for something, and I start to take inventory. I had a complete .40 top end, beavertail, SA magwell, grips, trigger kit that I knew worked (had put a Cylinder and Slide kit in my steel gun and this came out). In the end, all I thought I needed was a frame, trigger, and pin kit. I wound up also needing a safety, because the one I had had too much material removed and wasn't functioning.

A friend of mine had done a few amateur builds himself, and helped me with the slide to frame fit. We had to weld a little on the feet to get it to lock up properly, and I also needed to get a link kit to fit it properly as well.

For the frame, I decided to go with STI for few reasons. I've had great customer service from STI. They are at a lot of USPSA matches, and they generously support the shooting sports. Also, there is an STI Contingency program, so I stand a chance to win STI product.

I've already run it at a local match. I did have two hickups, one being a failure to lock back. The mags I had are pretty old, so I just put new springs in and there is a huge difference. BTW, I am running 10mm mags and loading the rounds long.

So here it is. I still need to get the frame finished. I kind of like the two tone look, so I'm thinking NP3 for the frame. The top is blued from when it was on a previous gun. I also want to change the front sight to a fiber optic. The black isn't too bad outdoors, but the indoor matches it's hard to pick up at times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Thanks for the compliments. I just took my time, especially with the beavertail. I think I did cut a little too far into the right side, but so far people only notice it when I point it out to them.

I'd really like a checked front strap, but I think I may be pressing my luck. I probably should have done that before all the other fitting.

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
  4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Well, I just got the frame back from Robar with NP3 applied. Wish my camera skills were better, heck it doesn't look much different than the pics above. :headscratch: Although, I had shot it as a few matches since I took the above pics, so the frame was looking real ugly real fast.

Here are the "after" pictures. I think it's officially done. I would have liked to have the front strap checkered, but the whole point was to do it as cheap as possible (in the op I discuss how I had many of the parts "lying" around).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]