close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First attempt at brisket.......Big Green Egg

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by G21novice, Jan 23, 2008.

1. This past weekend I made my first ever attempt at a brisket on the Big Green Egg. With all of the talk about how difficult brisket is to prepare, I was a little nervous, but I think it came out very well.

The meat. I started with an approximately 9 lb. flat. For this event I chose to forgo the packer cut with the point. I then prepared the rub for the brisket. My rub comprised of 1 part Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust Coarse Grind, 1 part Dizzy Pig Cow Lick, and 2 parts brown sugar. The meat was coated pretty heavilly so as to provide a decent crust.

The fire. At about 10:00 Friday night I started the fire, let it get settle in at around 235. I used the platesetter in the BGE to raise the grid and allow for indirect cooking. At about 11:00 I put the meat on the grid, after applying a couple handfuls of soaked Jack Daniels smoking chips. I kept the dome temp at 235 until around noon on Saturday, at which point I jacked up the temp to around 265. At 3:00 the meat was pulled off of the grill at about 190 degrees, double wrapped in foil, then in towels and placed in a pre-warmed (with hot water) cooler and allowed to rest for a full hour.

The end result. I found the meat to be tender and flavorful. It sliced pretty nicely, possibly pulling a bit too easily. I am going to attempt to attach some pics of it.

Happy Grilling!:grill:

2. Because BBQ'in at midnight in January is awesome!

3. After the overnight cook, it is finally ready to come off of the Egg!

4. Dang dude....! How tall are you....?:faint:

Oh, nice piece of meat....:wavey:

5. Seafarer12

Seafarer12

May 24, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Midnight isnt bad its that getting up at 3 am to load the firebox up sucks. I have stopped all the 15hr somking stuff. If I cant get it done in a day I don't mess with it.

6. I wake up hourly to check on it. Granted, I could get away with checking less often, but I get paranoid. At the beginning of the month I did a 9.5lb pork butt that took 26 hours to get up to temp. I love the egg though. Even after 26 hours, I still had a little fuel left over, so I really don't have to stoke the box or anything.

7. Chopshopchopper

Chopshopchopper

Dec 31, 2002
    Parma
    Looks great. I use my Webber all year long. Nothing like grilled food.