close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First AR- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by JAS104, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    +1 You need to also budget mags(at least 10), ammo(not the best time to buy, and a solid cleaning kit, and lastly a good optic(Aimpoint Pro).

2. Just 10??? I'm approaching 200, mostly pmags, I buy here and there. Mags are a disposable item, I'd recommend at least 30 and ideally 50 or more rifles per mag. Regarding optics, lights and other various upgrades, the OP doesn't need to buy it all at once, but should be mindful these will be part of the cost, along with purchase of vital/vulnerable spare parts.

3. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    This won't be a one shot deal I don't think. Ill buy the rifle now, mags on the way, and ammo when I can find it. Optics will come when I can afford a good one and not something that's just "ok."

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. JK Freak

JK Freak OffRoadRenegade

Apr 20, 2013
    Toledo Ohio
    I wish i had 50 rifles per mag! :supergrin:

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    As someone else, said - Colt, then HK, and Bushmaster is an extremely distant third. I also agree with Murphy, that piston ARs are an answer to a question almost nobody was asking. The only time I can see piston uppers really being a 'need' is when you combine 100% suppressed use with a short barrel and very high volumes of fire. Very few people check all of those boxes.

Also, piston ARs are very proprietary - not just to piston vs direct gas, but between piston companies. Very few - if any - parts on the gas piston system for one brand will fit another, with the sole exception being a couple of licensing agreements. Even then, you're going to have a MUCH harder time finding spare or replacement parts except direct from the manufacturer.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  6. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    [​IMG]

7. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

Jun 1, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Stay away from Bushmaster, quality has been sub-par for years. Good reliable M4/AR platforms in No specific order:
    Colt
    BCM
    DD
    Noveske
    LaRue
    Windham Weaponry
    Sig Sauer

The HK is VERY expensive and not very easy to find.

Sent from my iPhone4S
    using Tapatalk

8. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    Thanks a lot you helped a lot. Think i settled on a colt 6920.

Originally I was like BUSHMASHTER YAY but now... Bush is the readheaded step child

9. I'd stay away from Windham Weaponry and Sig, especially Sig. You left out Spikes and KAC, especially Spikes considering that will be an affordable option. The HK MR556 is a PIG, heavy, especially nose heavy with a quirky take down mechanism. I'm sure their piston system is reliable and durable (probably the only reliable/durable piston system except maybe LWRC), but unnecessary. If the OP wants a piston driven gun, I'll recommend the SCAR 16s.

10. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Can't go wrong with a Colt....I have two. I've built 4 others and used no Colt parts. They all work great and good parts make a good gun. A friend of mine just bought a S&W and it seems like a nice rifle but I have not shot it yet, Mike.

11. Rock solid choice, you won't regret it.

12. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

Jun 1, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I own a WW and a SigM400. Both have been as reliable as my Colts, DD, and LWRC so far. I would not hesitate to give the Colt a break from duty and replace it with either WW or my Sig, both great guns.

OP, great choice with the Colt6920. It's a proven reliable rifle and very well known. Also comes with all the proper mil-spek, and tested parts. Great decision, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone4S
    using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  13. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    Settled on the 6920. Now just need l find one that isn't a RIDICULOUS price. My LGS is $1799.

Might wait it out a few months.

14. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd

Jun 1, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    If your LGS will do a transfer, shoot me a pm. They can be had for less than $1100 at my local shop with Magpul MOE if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone4S
    using Tapatalk