close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First AR- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by JAS104, Apr 28, 2013.

1. JAS104

JAS104
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

So I'm buying my first AR next month from my LGS... Any suggestions? Appreciate the input.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. glockin-45

glockin-45
    Expand Collapse

Good to hear,i just got one and am new to the format. But not as hard as i thought. Just ask questions,as you are, learn your gun,and have fun.Which one you getting?:cool:

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

What are you going to use it for? Until you give us some ideas of what you want to do with it, it's going to be very difficult to give you solid advice.

This same subject comes up on a very regular basis, so I would suggest going back through the most recent 5 or 6 pages worth of threads, and doing some reading. Get an idea of what people have suggested in the past, what YOU want to do with an AR, and get back to us.

4. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen
    Expand Collapse
    Gunfighter

It sounds like you have a LOT of reading to do. I would start with the sticky threads at the top of the forums on http://www.m4carbine.net

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

:agree: solid advice! :cool:

6. PaLEOjd

PaLEOjd
    Expand Collapse

How much money are you looking to spend?
    What will you be using the AR for?
    What makes/models does your local guy stock?
    Carbine or mid Length?
    DI or Piston?

BEFORE you buy, make sure you read as much information as you can and educate yourself.

#6 PaLEOjd, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. MARSH1

MARSH1
    Expand Collapse
    Dealer
    Silver Member

If you are committed to your LGS we need to know what brands they have available, to give you input.

8. JerryVO

JerryVO
    Expand Collapse

This. I was in the same situation about a year ago and asked the same question. It is definitely not like asking which glock. There is so much variety in form and function research is a must. I ended up deciding to build my own to get exactly what I want as buying a base model and adding what I wanted would have between a few hundred more. It was very easy and the cost of the few tools i needed to buy was minimal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

9. iLift45's

iLift45's
    Expand Collapse

Daniel Defense is a great company! Love mine.

10. Crazy KD

Crazy KD
    Expand Collapse

If you have the time call Brownells and have them send you their AR catalog. It's free. That will have pictures of ARs with tons of accessories mounted on them. Then you can use your google foo to play around researching them. What you may discover is you want to customize your AR. When you start that process it is cheaper to build your own rifle. That is what I did. I started out looking at the Colt complete rifle, but quickly changed to a PSA lower that I built with Magpul accessories and a BCM upper/BCG.

The wild card is availability. Getting a BCM upper and BCG might not be that easy vs. finding a complete rifle right now. If you are not in a hurry then you just buy a piece at a time.

I am a mechanically inclined individual, but before this I had never done any work on my firearms other than disassembly / cleaning. It isn't that hard to assemble a lower.

11. Crazy KD

Crazy KD
    Expand Collapse

The first question you will have to answer is what twist rate....1/7, 1/8, or 1/9. Use your google foo as this alone will completely side track this thread.

12. WinterWizard

WinterWizard
    Expand Collapse

The best brand of AR-15 right now is the Wait-9-To-12-Months-For-Things-Cool-Down-And-Don't-Get-Raped-On-Price-Or-Selection model. I heard it's your best option right now from my brother's friend's sister's uncle.

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

:rofl:

Fortunately, prices online have plummeted recently. A lot of local shops are still charging an arm and a leg, though.

14. wired1

wired1
    Expand Collapse

LWRC. Expensive but you get what you pay for. No comparison between my Rock River Arms to my LWRC SPR. I can burn through 50 rounds in a matter of minutes and the barrel is cool and the follow up shots are easier to acquire and no mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

15. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

wired1
    I highly doupt his LGS has a LWRC!!:faint: And I'd bet there months wait time for them to build one!:upeyes:

OP
    Tell us what the LGS has an then we can help! Most likely they are stripped down basic rifles- as most LGS don't sell optics with the AR's. :supergrin:

16. mixflip

mixflip
    Expand Collapse

To prevent buyers remorse....read alot before you buy.

Know why an AR15 made by Vulcan, Hesse or Blackthorne costs so much less than a Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, PSA, M&P etc etc.

Know the pros & cons of direct impingement vs piston systems.

Know that an expensive gun with exotic materials and parts wont make you better. Titanium, carbon fiber etc etc mean nothing if you dont have good trigger time.

Buy the right tool for the job. You wouldnt use a hammer to swat a fly right?

#16 mixflip, Apr 28, 2013
  17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Depends on how badly I want the fly dead, and how much I care about smashing whatever the fly is sitting on...

:whistling:

18. Joshhtn

Joshhtn
    Expand Collapse
    The eBay Guy
    Silver Member

Tagged

19. sierrafast

sierrafast
    Expand Collapse
    Coleccionista

Great advice. I will also be in the market soon when the market is flooded with used ones.

20. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

If I were in the market right now, I'd do one of 3 things:

1. Put your name on the DD rifle-builder waiting list. When your number is up, if you haven't found anything else, you can go this route. Read up a lot so you know what you're ordering.

2. Scout local Wal-marts for a Colt.

3. Set-up notifications with www.bravocompanyusa.com and put together a lower (check with www.gandrtactical.com), then buy an upper from Bravo.

All 3 require time, and patience. In the end, however, you'll end up with a high quality rifle and a reasonable price.

I would not compromise on quality, and I wouldn't get something exotic and gimmicky like LWRC or any other piston AR (that includes the piston Colts).

#20 WayaX, Apr 28, 2013