close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First AR malfunction

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Glock13, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Glock13

Glock13

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Gents,

Was at the range today. Only the second time with my AR. My friend was shooting it just before we were about to leave and the charging handle came apart. I have attached a picture of the two pieces that came off. Not sure how this happened. I have only stripped and cleaned it once (after the first time I shot), so it could have been my error when reassembling it. We shot about 100 rounds through it before this happened. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Any ideas on the cause?

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Ahh yes, the BCM gunfighter charging handle. A couple things coulda went wrong here. I venture to say the gunfighter latch was put (poorly) on a standard charging handle? Was this on the weapon when you purchased it?

3. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Contact BCM directly.

Paul will take care of the matter.

4. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Did you disassemble the charging handle when you cleaned it? If so, why?

Since the pin is still mounted in the latch, I would sumise that the pin never made it into the hole in the charging handle. Otherwise, it would have never fallen apart. You need to punch out the pin, place the spring back in its proper location, line up the holes in the latch with that of the charging handle, and tap the pin back in.

5. Glock13

Glock13

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The gunfighter charging handle came with the gun, fully assembled. No, I didn't take it apart when I cleaned it. Should I just send it back or put it back togethe like jrs said?

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Contact BCM,......they WILL take care of this. If it somehow breaks when
    you are trying to reassemble, then you are on your own.

7. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    I would call them/send it back, I am sure they will make it right. My BCM gunfighter charging handles have been fantastic, but it just goes to show you that EVERY company has some problems along the way.......even the god like BCM.

8. Glock13

Glock13

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds good. Thanks again for all the quick replies. I will send it back to them!

On another note, looking at the other side of the pin, it looks like it sheared right off. I can see it is mangled in the hole.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    BCM and many of the other companies make fine products.
    However a 13 cent roll pin can and will screw up your day.

10. Glock13

Glock13

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1...thankfully it was right at the end of the shooting day!

11. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
    Don't call BCM, send them an email. They're not very good with the phone, but they will respond to your email.

12. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    Can you show a picture of the charging handle and the other side of the latch?

13. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    Just curious about the make of the gun. Is it a BCM or did someone just "Customize" a Del-Ton and out the GF onit.

14. Glock13

Glock13

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    BCM EAG Tactical

15. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL

Thanks for the info and updated pics. Reason I asked what I did was that I have seen some hack jobs, where someone adds a gunfighter or similar latch to a standard handle. Just making sure that was a complete BCM unit, and your pics certainly prove that. BCM will take care of it for you quickly, I predict. Good luck.

16. Uh oh. That sucks, but if/when I have an AR part break, I hope it is from BCM. They will take care of it.

17. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Meh, not even worth sending it back. That roll pin looks a little jacked. Get another one and install it right. Done. It's going to cost you more in shipping and down time than sending it back is worth.

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Do you honestly think BCM is going to CHARGE someone for fixing that?

Odds are an RMA, replacement and box will be on the way an hour from when he tells them.

19. Glock13

Glock13

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From my limited experience with them and what I have heard from others, you are most likely right.