close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First AR, first build

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by ess45, Sep 15, 2007.

1. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    My first AR and first to build, Recce inspired rifle
    Lower with upper receiver

[​IMG]

Upper receiver and parts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments (+and-)welcome
    To all AR builders out there, any suggestions,comments,tips,precautions before i start assembling.
    Spec:
    Lower receiver- Stag, LPK- Stag, charger- Stag
    Upper receiver- Sabre Defence
    Barrel- WOA 16" SS Recon with matching bolt, midlenght
    BCG- Young M16
    Hand rail- Larue
    Gas block- Vtor
    Other parts- on order
    Thank you

2. Sweater

Sweater

Jan 22, 2006
    Good luck with your build.I have a AR project too.You are lucky you live in FL., I have a LMT lower im going to match with a postban Stag upper,looking at a TROY or Midwest handrail.I dont have any picture yet.Good luck again.----Sweater of NJ.

3. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    Thank you Sweater. What kind of AR are you planning to build, and good luck to you too.

4. revo

revo

Apr 27, 2003
    Only one bit of experience - it's more expensive to buy individual parts and then assemble them yourself.

it's far cheaper to buy a complete rifle off the shelf.

i've assembled a few lowers but i've no patience to assemble the upper. i typically buy the an assembled upper and slap them into a complete lower. but that's me.

all my lowers are bushmasters. my uppers are FN (fabrique national) and ASA (defunct American spirit arms) so far.

5. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
  6. Sweater

Sweater

Jan 22, 2006
    I agree with Revo,thats why i bought a complete lower,and will get a complete upper,at least i can just put the two together, then i can shoot it.----------Sweater

7. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    Revo and Sweater:
    That was my original plan. To build a budget best value for the money AR. And that is to buy a Stag stripped lower and Buy a complete upper kit ( the Stag upper kit is $633 shipped,with 6 position stock kit,lower parts kit and 1 magazine)

[​IMG]

But after reading the posts from several AR forums and looking at the picture threads i decided i like to have a stainless steel barrel for better accuracy, midlenght gas system for reliability, less recoil, less wear and a Larue handrail for the look. And the only way i can do that is to build my own.

cebuboy:
    thank you. the other parts are coming. the harder part of building your own is choosing the parts. there are so many to choose from and that was the main cause of the delay in ordering the parts.
    Upper receiver- the only parts missing are the flash hider and iron sights (already decided on Phantom for the FH, Iron sight- have not decided yet but leaning on Troy if my budget will allow.
    Lower part: parts missing are the stock ang grip, decided on Magpul Miad and CTR, Color? could not decide between OD green or flat dark earth. I think i will go black instead.
    Optics: probably Eotech, For magnified optic, no idea yet.

8. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    Wow very nice. :thumbsup: Please post a pic of the rifle once you've completed it.

9. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    Cebu
    Hehehe, good thing being stateside is the amount of stuff that is available for the AR:) The troy buis is a good choice, although a bit pricey. You also wont go wrong with the MIAD and the CTR, both are top notch products but stocks and grips are more of a personal thing:) so is the color. EOtechs are nice too, I'm currently saving up for one. For magnified optics, the ACOG is nice, just cant afford it :( so much more for the shortdot.

I also prefer chorme lined bbls, especially the light carbine bbl by noveske, ahhhh if I could only get one...

let us know how it shoots.

10. bulm540

bulm540

Jun 18, 2004
    TN
    SAbre Defense are Nice, made right here In Nashville.

11. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    Update:

I'm changing the lower receiver to Mega. The quality and finish of the Mega Machine is much better than the Stag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. AZ ERIC

AZ ERIC

Jan 20, 2003
    Arizona
    It's not always cheaper if you bought a complete rifle off the shelf, especially a customized one like yours. A rifle like that is not a standard shelf model. Someone would have to order all those parts and assemble them. They would most likely charge you MSRP and a fee for putting it all together. If that person is a manufacturer, he would have to charge you an additional $200 federal tax for assembling a firearm if he sold you the upper and lower at the same time.

I’ve put together over 30 AR15s ranging from $600 to $3,500 and it looks like you are on the right track to having a cool rifle.

I agree with you regarding Mega. Their finish feels like there is a teflon additive and it's a nice dark black color. I’ve got a couple of their matching uppers and lowers. I like their logo. It looks like Mega made that lower for another company so it doesn’t have Mega’s logo.

Don’t forget a nice trigger.

Be careful with the bolt catch pin. I’ve seen a few receivers scratched up trying to get that in. I like to place a sheet of cardboard on the side of the receiver to protect it while punching in the pin. Also watch out when installing the trigger guard pin. I’ve seen a few of the wings on the receiver broken when the pin isn’t perfectly lined up with the hole or when someone gets too aggressive with the hammer.

Good luck.

13. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    Thank you for the tip AZ Eric.

The Mega receiver is a special run for Sig Forum members.

Any suggestion for the trigger?

Can i PM you if i encounter any problem?

Thanks again.

14. AZ ERIC

AZ ERIC

Jan 20, 2003
    Arizona
    ess45,

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

For the trigger, first determine if you want a single or 2 stage trigger. Rock River is the most basic and one of the most affordable 2 stage trigger. I use Geissele on my 3 gun rifle and can't say enough good things about it but it is expensive. There's also those modular triggers like JP, Timney and CMC.

15. Sweater

Sweater

Jan 22, 2006
    Nice,, me im waiting for my Troy Quadrail , still contemplating for a 10" or 12".Good luck again.--------Sweater

16. ess45

ess45

Nov 17, 2006
    Thanks Sweater and good luck on your build too.
    I would like to have an SBR too, but would not like to go to all the hassle and paper works not to mention the $200.

Received the grip,stock and FH today.

17. atmarcella

atmarcella

Aug 27, 2004
    overwatch....
    i thought jewell triggers were the best...