close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

First Aid

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by jmg1170, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jmg1170

jmg1170

Jul 31, 2006
    FL
    Had to do CPR on a 2 year old last night. Didnt turn out good. Ironically, My back up was the same Officer it was in the same situation 5 years ago. Bad thing was it turned out the same. Crappy part of the job

2. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Damn, man... Sorry to hear that. Feel free to PM if you need to vent or anything.

3. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    That's pretty well par for the course. I've done it once myself and got a save out of of it. I've been present several other times when it was done and all of those people died.

You did what you could.

4. ditchdoc24

ditchdoc24

Jan 15, 2009
    Georgia
    Sorry man. Worked in EMS for 20+ years and I learned real quick that the first rule of public safety is that people die. Doesn't make it any easier to accept though.....

5. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    I will honestly say that I cried after my first pedi CPR. Sadly it's true people die and no matter how quick you got there or how prefect your technique was sometimes nothing can be done.

6. mntrpr

mntrpr

Mar 22, 2003
    Minnesota
    My partner and I did CPR on a guy earlier this month, in his 80s and he made it....not that I wish ill upon the older folk, but would like to see a kid catch a break once in a while...that sux bro'.

7. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Jan 29, 2001
    In Existential Crisis
    I'm sure you did everything that you could. Sorry for the loss.

I hope you had the opportunity to do a debrief.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    I am sorry to hear that, the survival rate is only around 11% in the best of circumstances, so don't beat yourself up too bad.

All of mine have croaked, and I was a CPR instructor for the last one.

PM sent

9. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    A guy I work with did CPR and saved a guy, who it turned out had a DNR order (no way of knowing it at the time). Supposedly the guy was PISSED and ended up having "DNR" tattooed on his chest.

10. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    I had to do CPR on a coworker's wife. Came home after working midnight shift to find her in the hallway unresponsive....had been battling cancer for a while. Didn't work out for me either on that one.....that one really sucked.

11. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    I'm really sorry to hear that. You responded and did your best, which is as much as anyone can do. Thanks for your service, that's a tough day on the job.

12. I know there are always self doubts in these situations, but you did what you could. Adults and kids die. It is painful. Thank you for putting your heart on the line.

13. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Mar 1, 2012
    The Rust Belt.
    It bothered me the first few times I saw suicides, especially guys or girls my age or even natural deaths. A mentor of mine told me that we have a job to do and that's it. I try not to make small talk with the family etc. other than to offer my condolences and let them know if they need anything, the PD is a phone call away (even if you new someone o talk to).

I try to do my job as thoroughly and quickly as possible and remove mysel from where the remains are located.

It sucks and I'm sorry you had info through that. You wanna vent, pm me as well

14. Creatism

Creatism

Dec 25, 2011
    That's the worse part of police fire Ems line of work. Working kids is never fun and always heavy on the heart.

Typed from my iPhone.

15. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

Oct 30, 2011
    Oklahoma, USA
    I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes, when a person's time is up, it's up. At least you can look yourself in the mirror and know that you did everything you could.

I've worked several adults (few traffic, but most natural), but have yet to work a child. I'm pretty sure it won't sit well with me...

"We would never learn how to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world" - Hellen Keller

16. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser Eh

Jul 27, 2005
    VA, USA
    That isn't valid in most states including mine, has to be an original and signed by a doc. No Doc here does any tattoos... :whistling: Tough luck there, you are not required to search the person for a DNR either. If family rolls up and shows you an original you can call med-control and pass the buck if it makes you feel better.

17. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser Eh

Jul 27, 2005
    VA, USA
    Child CPR is incredibly horrific, unfortuantly I know from watching my child. Thank you for stepping up, as a healthcare professional and someone who works in law enforcement I appreciate it. As a father and as someone who lost their child I appreciate it. If you want someone to talk with let me know, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number.

18. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    Sorry to hear it. I was an EMT for a while before I became a cop and lost count of how many times I did CPR. None of mine lived. I know it sucks. Unfortunately it is part of the job. If you need anything let us know. Don't bottle it up, if you need to talk to someone, go ahead and do it.

19. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

You did good from what I am hearing.

I too am sorry to hear of a bad experience. It is the way of things unfortunately. Most likely none of what you did was wrong. But, just because you have the techniques down doesn't mean that you are in total control when it comes to life saving skills. I look it at it as part skills, part patient health, part God, and family support. It has always been that way.

If you need to talk I am on Face Book. You might see if CJ would get a hold of me via FB with your information if you want to talk, or write to me there. I also have a work email that you can get a hold of through him. I know it is rougher with children than it is with adults.

20. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    Fully aware of that, and not recognized here, but I do find it amusing. We've had folks start and then stop CPR while waiting for the patient's spouse or child to find the DNR order.