Glock Talk banner

First 1911 on order

1K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Ruggles 
#1 ·
After a lot of thinking on the subject, I veered away from my Glock for one exception, with the 1911 centennial and all:supergrin:.

I placed an order for a Smith and Wesson TFP model as my first. The reason behind this specific model was I wanted a rail-less black, full sized frame. I wanted something basic, but good to go out of the box. I was able to get a price of $755+tax, which seems ok anyway. Will post pics on arrival!

#4 · (Edited)
I do hear a bit of concern about S&W using external extracters in these models. Is this something I should be any concerned over, or no big deal?
Congrats! :cool:

S&W got it right. I've not heard nor read of any issues with their external extractors.

This has about 3k rounds through it with zero issues.

#15 ·
You don't hear it from anyone who actually owns one.
That's not true..... Yam puts a number of rounds downrange and this is what he's said about them.

The S&W 1911 is a good value for the money, but some samples of the guns exhibit tolerance stacking which leaves the extractor sitting too high in relation to the cartridge rim. This causes the cartridge rim to get pulled off the extractor hook during barrel linkdown. The extractor loses grip on the casing, resulting in issues with extraction and ejection - commonly seen as erratic ejection patterns or stovepipes. The problem is not apparent in new guns or guns with relatively low round counts (less than 5000 rounds), which is why most shooters tend to do ok with the guns. Further, most shooters do not realize that the gun is borderline in functioning if the empty cases are ejecting from the gun - albeit in a haphazard pattern, to include straight up, to the left, over their head, or straight out in front of the gun. A gun that exhibits such flawed ejection patterns is not "flawless" or "working just fine", and is typically waiting to spring bigger problems on its user. A new extractor doesn't typically cure the issue, as the accumulated wear compounds the tolerance stacking problem.

The fact that there is a different Performance Center extractor should be an important indicator that there is a better solution. Further, it is important to note that I am not condemning all external extractors. If you have read my articles, I am a big proponent of the concept. However, the point here is that the results for the production SW1911 extractors are inconsistent.

If you already have the gun running and it is working for you at this time, then drive on. Just keep a critical eye on the gun and understand what you are observing.

If anyone has questions about things that I write about, I would encourage them to contact me directly to get a straight and correct answer. My writings are based on gathered empirical data and firsthand experience, and I am cautious always to post on matters that I have researched thoroughly.

Although I WILL say it was interesting that he called the new E-series GTG when the extractor pin fell out?

#16 ·
That's not true..... Yam puts a number of rounds downrange and this is what he's said about them.

......."if you already have the gun running and it is working for you at this time, then drive on. Just keep a critical eye on the gun and understand what you are observing."

I couldn't agree more as my S&W Sc1911 was poorly fitted with cheap MIM and an even cheaper trigger that caused the pistol to fail at the 3000K-ish round count.

..........the EE worked great though!

#18 · (Edited)
Will definetely post pics when it arrives, I could have been a little more forthcoming on that. I ordered it last Wednesday however it is a 3-6 month wait for this model at this time. I called and talked to Mike Fischer this afternoon in regards to this as he is the law enforcement sales coordinator for S&W for my area. He said that S&W's equipment for manufacturing this pistol was out of commission for awhile as the machinery was getting so worn out that they could not keep parts in the correct tolerances. He said that they have brought in new equipment and that they will be up and running shortly and at that time, start filling in backorders first to get things going. He said that 3-6 months is a realistic timeframe, so that is dissapointing, but he did say to call back in a month or so and he would see what strings could be pulled.

Edit, realized that EE is a series

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.