Firing Squads, I have a ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rancher, Aug 7, 2014.

1. After a botched execution I had heard of firing squads being brought back, doubt it will happen but never know.

Someone told me only one of the people in the squad actually has a loaded gun, is that true? Supposed to make it to where none on the squad knows who actually killed the guy. Makes no sense to me as one would know due to the recoil. The other would just flinch really bad!

I'd also figue a high caliber rifle would be used. If six guys shot someone with something in a .30 caliber type rifle would the person on the bullet end not be cut in half or blown apart really bad? I don't have a problem with it but it seems awful messy.

Interested in this so thanks in advance for the replies.

Rancher

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. A couple of states allow the condemned to choose firing squad, or hanging.

4. RagnarDanneskjold

RagnarDanneskjold Senior Pirate

Firing-squads have been done many ways. Russia always had an officer with a pistol standing by, because their soldiers' marksmanship was abysmal. One way the U.S. has done it is for an NCO to load the weapons in such a way that the shooters can't see. The non-designated rifles are loaded with full-power blanks. My understanding was that there was one blank, and the rest were live rounds, but I could have that backwards. The recoil and report would not be a giveaway. It is intended as a potential rationalization salve for the consciences of the men, looking back, that they don't know they, personally, actually killed the guy.

5. I thought only one of the squad had a blank and the others live.
    You could comfort yourself thinking that maybe yours was blank

#4 D-Ric902, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  6. Feelings on death penalty aside,

Dont join a damn firing squad if you cant handle it.

For your own sake.

7. That's fine, if you have a choice.

8. The way it is supposed to work is one blank the others live. Although with Gary Gilmore they all had live rounds. The point is to make the firing party question if they had the blank or not. Or another way they could look at it is that they think they had the blank if that is what they want. IIRC Utah was the last to do it it and they had the rifles bolted down so there would be no recoil to feel. Traditionally it has been the officer finishing off the guy because the firing party's aim was so bad. Part of that is why they do the blank. People are less likely to not aim away from COM.

9. WT

WT
    Millennium Member

According to the US Army procedure for military executions (1944) the officer in charge of the execution will

g. Cause twelve rifles to be loaded in his presence. Not more than four nor less than one will be loaded with blank ammunition. He will place the rifles at random in the rack provided for that purpose.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_Law/pdf/procedure_june-1944.pdf

10. RagnarDanneskjold

My understanding is that, in various militaries, it has not always been voluntary duty.

#9 RagnarDanneskjold, Aug 7, 2014
  11. If they forced you, couldn't you just aim a little wide?

12. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over
    Millennium Member

The politicians and left wing idiots combine to make this (execution) to not work.

We take loved ones to be 'executed' successfully and humanely all the time - we take our pets to the Vet.

Why not take the satanic members of society to the Vet too? QED :wavey:

13. RagnarDanneskjold

Deleted.

#12 RagnarDanneskjold, Aug 7, 2014
  14. Why or how can a Vet put a hundred plus pound dog down so peacefully yet we can't kill a person so easily?

15. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over
    Millennium Member

That's my point - take those losers to the local vet and 'put them down'.

16. I would think that in our nation firing squad duty would be voluntary. But that is just a guess.

17. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot
    CLM

Why not just sit them in a chair with a stick of dynamite by their head on a timer? Guaranteed they won't feel a thing.

18. We could pull volunteers from glocktalk.

All the state would have to do is post what the crime was.

19. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

I have said it before and I will say it again. Seal them up in an air tight room and let nature take it's course.

If you want you can make the room have multiple valves so no one person is responsible.

If you want, you could put problem prisoners in there and not seal the room.

20. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Id be able to sleep better with certainty than uncertainty, no idea why they arent all live rounds

21. How about one of those little squeaky bugs that Kahn puts in their ears.