close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Firearm Permit Waiting Period

Discussion in 'Mississippi Glockers' started by mike718, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mike718

mike718
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I think they changed the wait period for the Firearm Permit to 60 days now. I got one of my friend to apply for the permit in mid December and he got his permit last week. I know there were talking about it before and on the website it still say 120 days.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

3. xd357

xd357
    Expand Collapse

so how long is it?

4. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

Well, until (and unless) the Mississippi Senate and House work out a mutually agreeable bill and the Governor signs it, it remains 120 days.

But that has always been "within 120 days".

I.e., that is the longest they can wait. The agency has always had the authority, if they wished, to issue it sooner.

Until recently they have opted not to do so.

Sounds like they may be issuing them sooner according to the OP.

In cases where the House and Senate cannot agree to common language, the bills just die for lack of a compromise. That would leave the current 120-day limit in place.

Occasionally when the Senate and House disagree on numbers, they agree to an average of what each side wants.

But that would be weird in this case (120+45)/2 = 82.5 days

5. mike718

mike718
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

It was weird when I apply for my permit the issue date on my permit was 120 days out from when I first applied. But when my friend applied I told him to look at the issue date on the card when the people there tell you to verify the card before they take it back and he told me his issue date was Feb. I told him it can't be, it will be around 4 months before he get it. On Monday, he show me his permit and that it came in the mail that weekend. I am still confuse, it is still 120 days or 60 days or 45 days or he was just lucky to have it early?

6. z28deuce

z28deuce
    Expand Collapse

Just got mine. Issue date was exactly 45 days after application date. Took an extra week for them to mail it, though.

7. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

I have to tell you that the first time I went to the Jackson MHP place to apply for my CCW permit, the folks there were civil---but kind of acted like I was a problem or threat to them.

Kind of the same cool, impersonal behavior as if they were giving me a ticket on the side of the road. No light chitchat. No sense of humor.

When I went back a year or so ago for my renewal, the folks there were very nice and friendly. They seemed to be perfectly happy to be doing it.

8. WileyG27

WileyG27
    Expand Collapse
    Got beans?

NRA-guy.... they did the same thing to me here in Meridian when I got mine.

The guy was kind of snide when he was doing my fingerprints, said "Why do people think they need firearms permits? Just asking for trouble."

I replied "It's kind of like getting a driver's license. I can already drive but the state requires me to get one."

He just huffed a little and continued on but no more talking out of him.

And that reminds me, I gotta re-new this year.

How early did you renew yours?

9. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

Don't wait too long or it will cost you an extra $15 (yeah, I waited too long).

Do it before the expiration date.

If you wait more than 6 months after it expires, you have to go through the whole new application process.

Here is the Mississippi law on late renewals:

10. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

By the way, the House Bill (HB 0311 that changes the waiting period to 45 days and allows mail-in renewals for the 5-year renewal but still requires a personal visit for new prints and photograph at the 10-year renewal) has passed out of the House and gone to the Senate committee:

Similarly, Senate Bill 2306 that keeps the 120-day period but deletes the prohibition of carrying concealed in a public park has passed out of the Senate and gone to the House committee:

The wheels of legislation turn slowly if at all.

11. para40

para40
    Expand Collapse
    curmudgeon

Small steps, but at least their in the right direction.

I like the part about parks, as there is usually drug activity in these areas.

Now to work on the church thing.

12. xd357

xd357
    Expand Collapse

+1 on the church thing

13. WileyG27

WileyG27
    Expand Collapse
    Got beans?

Thanks for the info NRA.... mine's due in September so I guess I'll renew in June or so.

When I first got mine, it got to me on the 122nd day... I guess I should have told them I was Frank Melton.

14. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

The House Bill 0311 that changes the waiting period to 45 days and allows mail-in renewals for the 5-year renewal but still requires a personal visit for new prints and photograph at the 10-year renewal is still alive in the Senate:

The Senate Bill 2306 that keeps the 120-day period but deletes the prohibition of carrying concealed in a public park is dead:

15. southernr

southernr
    Expand Collapse

i got mine last week and it took right at 60 days...

16. mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau
    Expand Collapse

Mine took 120 days. Actually, took a week longer but that was because they left my Apt # off the envelope, it got returned, and I had to call and have them resend it.

17. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

HB 0311 has been signed into law by the Governor.

This is a good thing. It reduces the wait time and allows you to mail in every other renewal (not go in for photo and finger printing but every 10 years.)

18. Lobo

Lobo
    Expand Collapse
    Who farted??

Good deal!! :supergrin:

19. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

My next renewal will be my 3rd. I wonder if it is just your 2nd and 4th and 6th renewals that can be mailed in.

Or, since I went in for my 2nd, if my 3rd, 5th, 7th can be mailed in.

I think the latter is correct.

20. bigsig

bigsig
    Expand Collapse

If someone knows the answer speak up. I would love to be able to mail in my 3rd renewal! Right after Katrina I let it expire, then about 8 months later I went and did it all over again. Next time that wont happen.