close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fire/EMS Scanner???

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by glocker36, Sep 28, 2007.

1. glocker36

glocker36

Jan 11, 2005
    Midwest
    I am joining a local paid/on call fire department and so I would like to be able to monitor frequencies. My question is what should I look for in a scanner?

Mobile is important to me

I want at trunk tracker scanner

I have seen several Uniden units and they look good and are resonable.

Do you have any favorite units that you can recommend as well as where to buy.

Thanks

2. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Feb 8, 2007
    Texas
    Buy a Uniden scanner online. I have the BCT15 which was about $250.00 which gets police, fire, weather, and aviation too. There are less expensive versions. Uniden makes excellent scanners. You can get them on Amazon.com for pretty good prices.

3. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    You probably already have done this, but double check what frequencys the local emergency departments use. A lot of departments are switching to UHF, and the scanners for those start at $500 as far as I am aware (at least in my area).

4. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
    I would think a paid/on call agency could issue you a pager.....

Scott

5. n8ick

n8ick

Jul 16, 2006
    WI
    I agree, you aren't issued a radio or pager?

6. Resqu2

Resqu2

Aug 24, 2007
    SouthWest VA
  7. sandhiller

sandhiller NRA member

Feb 1, 2007
    Sandhills of Nebraska
    I agree with DScott and N8. With all the Homeland Security Grant money going for communications this last round, the dept. should have plenty of extra pagers. I belong to a volunteer FD (in my county there are no paid FD or EMS, all volunteer) I was issued a pager and a 50 watt mobile for my pickup.

8. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

Jan 8, 2003
    Zombie Patrol
    Ohhhh, a portable. I sometimes think I could use one of my own.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    there are a lot of options. handheld radios purchased on eBay, pagers purchased on ebay, scanners, etc.... I have an old bearcat scanner which get's pretty much every band between 40MHz through 1500MHz. (Including cellular, scanner was produced before it was illegal to monitor cellular bands.) Handheld radios are handy, I know Kenwood handhelds can be programmed as a 2-tone pager as well. I am sure other handhelds can be as well, but I am not sure which brands can or can't.