close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Fiocchi with XTP?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by venenoindy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. venenoindy

venenoindy

Jul 13, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking to get some Fiocchi .40 S&W 180gr loaded with XTP bullets, I normally get Federal HST but haven't been able to get the 180's. Anybody has experience with this round?

2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    My experience with the XTP bullet is that is highly accurate and deep penetrating, but not a lot of expansion. Fiocchi ammo is good quality and I've found them to be on the hot side in the past.

I haven't shot the load you're looking at, but the ingredients smell good to me.

3. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
  4. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    The 115-grain Fiocchi Extrema XTP 9mm ammo is the best standard pressure JHP self-defense round I've tried through my PF-9. It comes in a deep blue box and is very robust, moreso than standard pressure 115-grain Speer Gold Dot. It is far and away the most accurate of all the ammos I've tested in that particular pistol. I really should get off the dime and try it through my sub-compact 9mm.

The 124-grain Fiocchi Extrema XTP was a huge disappointment and others who have chronoed this round report that it's velocity doesn't in any way live up to billing. To me it seemed underpowered and not particularly accurate.

I don't know for sure where the ammo is manufactured but the 115-grain Extrema has the CIP logo on the box which leads me to think it may be European-made whereas the 124-grain Extrema has the SAAMI logo and carries the Springfield, MO address.

I've never shot Black Hills but I understand it has an excellent reputation.

My suggestion is to try some out. It's a very affordable self-defense ammo with a proven bullet and you may find it's just what you're looking for.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  5. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Colorado
  6. scattershot

scattershot

Nov 15, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Can't speak to the .40, but the 9mm 124 XTP I tried was made in Kentucky. Velocity was woefully short of claimed.

7. Dogguy

Dogguy

Aug 2, 2008
    Soggy South.
    I thought Fiocchi USA ammo was made in Missouri.

My G30 did not like Fiocchi's Extrema XTP .45 ACP ammo but all my other .45s like it fine. I've also tried it in .380 with good luck in a couple of different brands of handgun.