close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Finished up polishing my slide, what say you?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by muad, Jan 13, 2010.

1. muad

muad Lifetime Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I was inspired by some of the photos I saw in the barrel polishing thread, so I decided to try it out on a used G30 I traded for recently. It had some good holster wear, so I was already planning on doing something (duracoat came to mind first). I did the barrel with my dremel, and it turned out great.

So I moved onto the sides of the slide, as I liked the look of a few that had posted some photos of theirs with the top still black.

Here is the end result. It could be better, but i'm happy with it for now. I first attempted this with just my dremel using some felt wheels and mag polish, but then ended up using some 1000 grit - 1500 grit sandpaper in order to get a more uniform look (thanks Bowtie). In the photos you will see the older G30 next to my new one.

So how did I do?

View attachment 188826

View attachment 188827

2. muad

muad Lifetime Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ohio
    It wasn't too bad. Once I got the tip to use the superfine sandpapers, it went rather quick.

I doubt I'll do it again though. But since I had a good subject that already had bad holster wear, I figured why not try it once. I will say I really like the look though.

3. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Smallville
    Polymer frames and polished slides just dont go well. Nice work though.

4. fodder1

fodder1 Just a Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Nice job!

I like that you didn't over polish the slide and make it too shiny. It kind of has that antique look to it.

Well done.

5. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

Dec 18, 2009
    Michigan
    Looks good buddy! Love to see a man customizing his guns to HIS liking :)

6. cbsaf

cbsaf

Jul 10, 2005
    Florida
    If you like it that is all that matters. I am not partial for that kind of thing unless the metal under the finish is stainless steel. If I had something like a S&W M&P with the stainless slide I would consider a bead blasted finish. I just bead blasted a Sig slide to send it off for a refinish and if it would have been stainless I would have just left it bare.