close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finish on IAC 982

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by duke77togo, Mar 17, 2010.

1. duke77togo

duke77togo
    Expand Collapse

Can someone comment on how you can tell what kind of finish is on your shotgun if it is not documented anywhere? I read a lot about parkerized finishes and various kinds of paint, but I'm not sure how I can tell what is on my shotgun.

2. Tim808

Tim808
    Expand Collapse

You should post this in the tactical shotgun forum on shotgun world....there is guy that I believe is a dealer and knows a lot about the IAC Hawks.

3. MAX100

MAX100
    Expand Collapse

The 982 has a parkerized finish. It's comparable to the parkerize finish on a Mossberg 590 but not as nice as the finish on a 870P.

Soak the parkerized finish in oil and let it sit for a couple of days. It will make it more durable and rust resistant. Heat it with a hair dryer to speed up the process.

GC

4. duke77togo

duke77togo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, fellas. This helps. The parkerized parts (at least the ones I could tell) are soaking in oil as I type this.

What do you think about this: http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/02/parkerizing-truth-vs-tales.html. Sounds like a similar treatment, grease + heat vs. oil + heat. Not sure if the wife would appreciate this in the oven; hair dryer seems better.